• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Unoriginal Rant

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
warning: bad, emotioanl filled grammer and typing. yes, it's stupid and whiny, i'm sorry. plese don't be mad at me.

This is my daily schedule on weekdays: Wake up, go to school, come home, take a nap/play D&D (depends on day), and then spend about 4-6 hours playing Sm4sh, reading about my main, watching matches, guides, practicing tech in training, fighting people on Smash Ladder, etc. On weekends, take out go to school and replace it with more Sm4sh practice. On monday's, I don't play Sm4sh as a way to rest, and also because I have other arrangements. On Thursdays, I used to go to a weekly local, where some of the best players in Cincinnati would practice, along with some newer guys (I've stopped going recently, though, due to reasons you'll understand in a second). In case it isn't obvious, I spend a lot of time practicing. However, I've realized something: it is entirely ****ing worthless

I suck. I suck donkeyballs. I spend so much god damn time on this ****ing game, but i still suck. i've ****ing wasted my time, tried so hard, done so much, put so much of my soul into this game, but i still ****ing suck. my match history on anther's ladder is ****ing atrocious. only reason i ever have wins on there is if someone is tryint out a character for the first time. other than that, i ahve my ass handed to me over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and oever and over and i just don't know waht the **** i'm doing wrong why can't this just be the one ****ing thing i'm good at in my life jesus ****ing christ i hate myself so godadman much because i can't get over ****ing losing at a video game, but no matter what i do, not matter how much i ****ing practice, i just prove to myself time and ****ing time again that i'm a worthless sack of **** who doesn't deserve to live so much as play this game i ****ing hate myself so goddamn much, i'm suck at this game so goddamn much and i can't get any ****ing better. id on't know what else to try now, cause it's all worthless. i've tried playing defensively, rusdown, thinking more, thinking less, wanting to win with all my heart, not caring in the slightest, and no matter what i just suck more than a hoover vacuum cleaner. when most people lose, they stop, they look at what they did wrong, they fix what needs to be fixed, and get better. and they don't go on ****ing idiotic rants like this, but that's beside the point. i lose, i look at what i did wrong, i try to fix what needs to be fixed, and i still get my ass beat. i just don't know what to do. when ever i ask someone for help, they lways say the same thing: "just play more, everyone started at square one, just gotta work in the lab, just gotta read more guides, jsut gotta watch more videos of pros, just gotta git gud", but it's all ****ing hopeless. i'm a lost ****ing cause. I've tried everything, and i jsut dn't know why the **** i even bother getting out of bed for this ****ing game. it's so much comfier in there, i might as well just go back to what i was doing before the 3Ds demo came out. I've been at this gaem for 6 ****ing months, and i haven't gotten any better. and i know: i'm being a whiny little ***** who needs to calm the **** down, and take abreak. well, i already tried taking a break, and it didn't help at all. in fact, i got worse from lack of practice. i don't want to be a ****ing master at this game, i just want to not be horrenodus. i've only been playing any smash game for 6 months, of course i'm not gonna be top of the line, best player in the world, mvg 20xx whatever. but i want to not suck, and it seems like no matter hard i try, no matter how much time and effort i put into this game, that will never happen. i will always suck, and i swear to ****ing god i should just give up now before i get even more worked up over this tiny, insignificant little thing because i'm a worthless, whiny, insignificant little sack of **** who's ****ing crying real, ****ty tears because of a ****ing video game. a fukcing video game. i'm ****ing pathetic.

i'm sorry for doing this, you don't have to respond, i just wanted to type this and put this somewhere. i'm sorry if this is annoying, or if this is the worng place to put this. please don't hate me.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, ask yourself this. Do I actually want to be a pro Smasher?

If the answer is yes, then it's crucial you consciously work out of the failures that are making you feel worthless. Like, laser-focus on preventing that **** from occurring in your play and life ever again! You must reorganize how you process failure if you want to actually get better, as cliché others have made it seem and as easy as they make it look. I can get into more detail about this if you want.

If the answer is no, then it's time to find a new hobby. If you have almost no attachment to Smash or Nintendo outside of grooming yourself to be the next M2K or Mango, then you are subjecting yourself to torture. Judging by your rant, you let the game hinge on your self-esteem and you practice too much to the point of overexertion. That won't make you better. It'll break you faster.

Posting whiny rants like these trying to reach out for sympathy from strangers really doesn't do much but solidify why you hate yourself so much. Its up to you whether you want this to condemn you to a life of failure or you want to move on.

Real talk, go see a therapist about this. Sounds like you've endured some serious pain throughout this. Stop listening to some schmucks on a forum and take care of yourself already! Also, I'd highly recommend having other interests outside of Smash.

Last edited:

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
I wasn't looking for sympathy from strangers. I know it seems like I was, but I swear I wasn't, I'm fully aware I have no reason to deserve any sympathy, and I'm fully aware that this is a whiny rant. I just wanted somewhere to put this. I don't know why, I know it's stupid. But I do want to be good. Maybe not a top of the top, pro-smasher, I can't imagine that'll ever happen, but I at least want to not suck as much as I do now. I'm really sorry that I'm being whiny, I'm sorry I sound like I'm begging for sympathy, I don't want to, I'm really sorry, please don't hate me, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
Yeah you should try street fighter series or any fighting games besides smash.
Why is that? I'll admit I've started playing Mortal Kombat X, but that's more so I have something to do with my brother.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Why is that? I'll admit I've started playing Mortal Kombat X, but that's more so I have something to do with my brother.
Mostly what i do i experiment with games sometimes like didnt think i can be a top tier player in marvel vs capcom 2.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wasn't looking for sympathy from strangers. I know it seems like I was, but I swear I wasn't, I'm fully aware I have no reason to deserve any sympathy, and I'm fully aware that this is a whiny rant. I just wanted somewhere to put this. I don't know why, I know it's stupid. But I do want to be good. Maybe not a top of the top, pro-smasher, I can't imagine that'll ever happen, but I at least want to not suck as much as I do now. I'm really sorry that I'm being whiny, I'm sorry I sound like I'm begging for sympathy, I don't want to, I'm really sorry, please don't hate me, I'm sorry.
Then why post it on a public forum when you could've vented it out with no remorse in something like a journal or text document? Especially since most forumgoers are conditioned to react to things like this with scorn or sarcasm. Guess you got lucky the Cap'n was on deck.

No one is mad at you. You can't erase your rant. No need to apologize for it now.

Anyways, I could be wrong, but it sounds like the reason you're stuck in a rut of failure is probably because you're subconsciously aware of some very annoying habits in your playstyle. From my experience, I see there's a lot of wrong habits holding me back from all sorts of games, hobbies, life, etc. It feels uncomfortable bringing them up to the light that I try to escape to something else almost right away. So I'll most likely end up ignoring them until they keep springing up more and more. And that's a habit I reaaaally need to cut back on.

Play more games against CPUs with the intent to consciously focus on making sure your bad habits don't happen. Keep doing this until it becomes natural to you. Don't get mad if it feels hopeless or it's not coming to you in one or a couple sessions. Practice makes perfect.

What @ Pachinkosam Pachinkosam says could also help. Just play some more traditional 2D fighters casually. The skills you'll learn playing them transfer into Smash more than the other way around.

Last edited:

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
But is anyone annoyed with me? Because that's a fairly common occurrence. Although I'll admit I've never thought of typing this stuff into a word document.

I'm...i'm not that smart. sorry.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have a penchant for being too dense than to demonstrate what I mean by what I say. I'll exemplify the thought process I've outlined.

I love Robin. From his/her character to playstyle. Hence why they're my main. I have an annoying habit of impulsively throwing out Arcfire when I'm being rushed down or when my opponent is too close, despite being familiar with Arcfire's trajectory. This means that I'll have less resources to manage when I may need it more at higher percents, putting me at a greater risk of being KO'd without it.

I've recognized the situation where I'm apt to do this. So the next time I'm caught in one of those, I must acknowledge that my impulse is coming on or beckoning me. I have to focus on doing the opposite in order to get in a more advantageous situation than helplessly floundering this move on a lucky gabble whilst I'm being hardbodied and missing more spells because it creates a feedback loop of nervousness.

Maybe I could use the low-cot, low-cooldown Thunder to interrupt them. Maybe I can roll behind them or jump away. Perhaps I can use a Forward or Neutral Air to hit them back before they hit me. Maybe I can carefully time a Levin Smash. If I'm getting attacked, I could DI further away or behind them, use my shield, ground or wall tech, maybe even run away to bait them out and maybe hit them off-guard with an Arcfire. There's so much I can strategize around this that I need to control my brain for the best results.

Last edited:

Cynic

Smash Rookie
I highly, highly, HIGHLY suggest you start going back to locals again. Nobody is any good after just six months of training. You'll need to keep working at it for at least another year, and a vital part of that work is regular practice against other humans so you can gauge your progress.

Also, relax. Learning Smash is like learning a martial art. When you practice, you're literally changing how your brain works. This change TAKES TIME. I appreciate your Tom Brady-esque work ethic and drive, but if the frustration of failure is affecting you this much, you might actually consider dialing back your practice routine to prevent burnout. Regular practice is a necessary rung in the ladder to Smash legitimacy, but it shouldn't detract from your life or make you like the game less. I've been struggling with Melee for nearly two years now, and while sometimes I spend a week grinding out new techniques, at other times I take time off and work on myself in other ways. I've been eating dirt at the hands of my state's best players the entire time, and I love the game now more than ever.

So go back to locals. Get your butt kicked, then laugh it off and go live your life. A flower doesn't bloom overnight and there's no point in agonizing over the failures that invariably precede successes.

Top Bottom