• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Unlikely Duo Gets A Reveal Trailer!

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo in Melee was a ****ty, badly designed character. The fact that people wouldn't stfu about him is probably one of the main reasons he is coming back.

Checkmate. Now go away.
Nice diatribe. Too bad that Mewtwo being poorly designed in Melee has literally nothing to do with the Ice Climbers being poorly designed in both Melee and Brawl (mostly Brawl).

I give credit where it's due, and there are very few Ice Climbers players that I can legitimately give credit to, as I feel like a very large amount of Ice Climbers players aren't actual "players" of the character. Just a huge gaggle of scrubs who flocked to the character to pocket them as something to whip out for cheese wins against people who either weren't mentally prepared to deal with them, or who played characters with inappropriate tools to combat them (or both).

Ice Climbers were like the other Meta Knight, and their very existence was enough to negate more than half the cast from being competitively viable. You were either forced to pick a character that could fight them (and even if you did, there was no real counterpicking them), or walk away from the game... I, personally, chose to tough it out as a Link/Samus main, and I have no regrets.

My point stands, though: The Ice Climbers were a badly designed character, and their absence from Smash 4 will only promote growth and diversity in its metagame.

The funny thing is, barring Meta Knight and Ice Climbers, I think Brawl would've been an extremely well balanced game, and that it would have lived a bit longer.

Melee will probably continue to stay alive for a long time, but Brawl will not, and I think there's a damn good reason for that.

Character diversity is a lot more important to a game's lifespan than I think a lot of you are probably aware of. Fortunately, I don't foresee that being a problem with Smash 4.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Thats your opinion, and anyone who takes you seriously because of it is a fool. But if you want to express your opinion, you could at least be more mature about it. >_>
A fair bit of what I said on this page is based on more than just "opinion," but yes, I concede that I should've presented myself in a less hostile manner, and that my initial post was little more than the dumping-out of my own inner hatred for the Ice Climbers.

In any case, this has escalated farther than I anticipated/desired, and I realize now there's no good way for this to end, so I'm ending this conversation now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What an awesome yet funny reveal trailer for Duck Hunt! ^_^ Loved the humour, especially the part where Duck Hunt closes his eyes because of how revealing Shulk is! Too lewd for the biggest troll in the roster. :laugh:

If he has hard time with Shulk, I bet he can't deal with rest of Xenoblade's cast.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
OMG

The most irrelevant pile of garbage character to ever grace our ****ing presence. Why can't I contain my excitement?

I like how the trailer expected me to be excited for this stupid trash. **** off, Nintendo.
The salt is real

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
OMG

The most irrelevant pile of garbage character to ever grace our ****ing presence. Why can't I contain my excitement?

I like how the trailer expected me to be excited for this stupid trash. **** off, Nintendo.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
A fair bit of what I said on this page is based on more than just "opinion," but yes, I concede that I should've presented myself in a less hostile manner, and that my initial post was little more than the dumping-out of my own inner hatred for the Ice Climbers.

In any case, this has escalated farther than I anticipated/desired, and I realize now there's no good way for this to end, so I'm ending this conversation now.
That would be best.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
OMG

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What are you talking about? After Takamaru's death, a decent amount of people anticipated the Duck Hunt Dog.

He may have not been considered "likley," but he definitley was not "unpredictable".
Even though you may have noticed many people who expected Duck Hunt to join, I've talked with people who were shocked about it. To claim that one group of people outnumbers another as a way of discrediting @ KhanYe KhanYe 's writeup, without any facts or figures, is just a he-said-she-said clash of opinions. You're more likely to notice the people who agree with you, in general.

I was genuinely surprised about Duck Hunt, personally. I thought Little Mac was going to count towards a "retro revival" this time; I didn't expect there to be two!

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
This would have been MUCH better if it was revealed before the Japanese demo was released... like in August or early September...
:4duckhunt:But I'm still hyped for the duck hunt stage and the reveal trailer was still awesome!:4duckhunt:
:colorful::roll::colorful::joyful::colorful::roll::colorful:

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
I might actually use this character. Its either going to be him or Lucina 0ne of those two. 0.o

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
One of my favorite character additions, but I think the dog's design could have been better... he doesn't look much like his 8-bit self except when he snickers, and he looks too puppy-like.

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
I was kinda hoping at the end the camera panned to the Ice Climbers and Popo asks why the duck is teaming up with the dog of the hunter that killed hundreds of his kind before Mario stares at him angerly while tearing up their Smash invitation letter and dropping the shreddings on the ground in front of them.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That trailer was pretty hilarious if I do say so myself but aside from that, it was alright.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
I think in the 8 bit sprite part they should of added Pac-Man and Mr. Game and Watch because Mr. Game and Watch would fit quite well and Pac-Man would make sense as he was 8-bit once as well. I'm suprised they didn't do a NES rep battle at all in the trailer with DHD against R.O.B.

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Even though you may have noticed many people who expected Duck Hunt to join, I've talked with people who were shocked about it. To claim that one group of people outnumbers another as a way of discrediting @ KhanYe KhanYe 's writeup, without any facts or figures, is just a he-said-she-said clash of opinions. You're more likely to notice the people who agree with you, in general.

I was genuinely surprised about Duck Hunt, personally. I thought Little Mac was going to count towards a "retro revival" this time; I didn't expect there to be two!
You're too kind! :]

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
What an awesome yet funny reveal trailer for Duck Hunt! ^_^ Loved the humour, especially the part where Duck Hunt closes his eyes because of how revealing Shulk is! Too lewd for the biggest troll in the roster. :laugh:

How'd they get him to make that pose though? That's what DH does when they shield, but there's no shield present. Im confuzzled...

D

Deleted member

Nice diatribe. Too bad that Mewtwo being poorly designed in Melee has literally nothing to do with the Ice Climbers being poorly designed in both Melee and Brawl (mostly Brawl).
My post was short and sweet. You're the one who is posting a diatribe.

The Ice Climbers could have been better designed in Smash 4. This is a new game after all and many characters have received noticeable changes. Using your logic, they should have cut MK from the roster because of his poor design in Brawl. But they didn't. He is an iconic Nintendo character who has earned his place on the roster despite any current or previous design flaws. Many feel the same way about the Ice Climbers. They were 2-time veterans with a unique playstyle who helped represent Nintendo's history, which is what this game is all about.

Character diversity is a lot more important to a game's lifespan than I think a lot of you are probably aware of.
Lmfao, you do realize that the inclusion of the Ice Climbers would only make the roster more diverse, right? You just typed out a huge post only to contradict yourself right at the end.

Your argument is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
Y'know... some people might consider those saying things about "where's Wolf" and "I need more DLC!" as being negative... but I find it rather encouraging.

The more people talking about it and wanting it, the more likely Nintendo is to notice and make it happen! Keep on beggin'!
Agreed. Hey, it worked on EA. Begging is the only reason The Sims 4 is getting pools. On a more related topic, I'd like to see Maxwell from Scribblenauts and a Raving Rabbid as DLC. I'm watching you, Sakurai. :4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi:

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
My post was short and sweet. You're the one who is posting a diatribe.

The Ice Climbers could have been better designed in Smash 4. This is a new game after all and many characters have received noticeable changes. Using your logic, they should have cut MK from the roster because of his poor design in Brawl. But they didn't. He is an iconic Nintendo character who has earned his place on the roster despite any current or previous design flaws. Many feel the same way about the Ice Climbers. They were 2-time veterans with a unique playstyle who helped represent Nintendo's history, which is what this game is all about.

Lmfao, you do realize that the inclusion of the Ice Climbers would only make the roster more diverse, right? You just typed out a huge post only to contradict yourself right at the end.

Your argument is stupid.
Way to deliberately misinterpret what I said about diversity. (To clarify, though, just on the off chance that you didn't deliberately misinterpret me, I was referring to character diversity in matchups.)

Also, for the record, I don't think Meta Knight should be cut. Just balanced better (which, thankfully, he appears to be). That's the key difference, though. Meta Knight actually can be balanced. While Ice Climbers, imo, cannot be. They're either abysmally bad or overwhelmingly good. Those are the two extremes, and there is no in-between.

Their flaws as a character extend well beyond them just being able to 0-death a character via chaingrabs, and them having a "unique" playstyle isn't justification for them being a conceptually bad character from the start (which they are).

I'd go into more detail on this, but you come across as antagonistic and somewhat juvenile (I also don't care enough), so I'll spare you further explanation, saving both my time and yours.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Agreed. Hey, it worked on EA. Begging is the only reason The Sims 4 is getting pools. On a more related topic, I'd like to see Maxwell from Scribblenauts and a Raving Rabbid as DLC. I'm watching you, Sakurai. :4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi:
Those would be some GREAT 3rd party characters to add. There is no denying that both have been a HUGE part of the Nintendo line-up in the last I dunno... 7-10 years. I will say though, that I'd rather see Rayman playable and the Rabbids as an assist trophy.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
There's a difference between asking and sending salt induced hatemail everytime your favorite character isn't mentioned. Sakurai calls you guys children for a reason.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Technically, it's not a duo, as the hunter is involved in attacks as well. more like a trio.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Technically, it's not a duo, as the hunter is involved in attacks as well. more like a trio.
Technically, there's seven people involved as there are two people of each two different kinds of gunmen from Wild Gunman in the Final Smash and I assume at least one of each shows up for the Down-B.

isoldmyname

Smash Cadet
Y'know, I knew that the ESRB leak was real. You know why?
I knew that there would be people being ticked off about the fact Mewtwo and Ridley weren't in (half resolved.)
I also thought "Duck Hunt Dog" (as he was called at the time; apparently they never saw the duck) was unexpected to say the least, but that it was left-field enough of a concept NOT to be real, if that makes sense.
But it appears Nintendo is making it work, after all. ^_^

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wasn't Duck Hunt one of the rumored newcomers in the Pre-Brawl days when information of the roster was being leaked? I remember that a lot of people used to joke about his inclusion.
It's kind of funny how it eventually became true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meta Knight actually can be balanced. While Ice Climbers, imo, cannot be. They're either abysmally bad or overwhelmingly good. Those are the two extremes, and there is no in-between..
What a huge cop-out of an answer. Come back when you've actually attempted to balance a game.

I'd go into more detail on this, but you come across and antagonistic and somewhat juvenile
Said the person who cheered when a beloved Smash character got cut and then brought up the topic in the comment section of a newcomer video. Talk about antagonistic and childish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Railz

Yoshi Master
what is the story behind why the duck helps the dog? l;ike after years of the dog capturing and bringing all its family to their deaths. a single duck decides to aid the dog in its battles.

Top Bottom