• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An OK Wario guide: Offstage and Edge Guarding

geb

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am geb, a SoCal Wario main who just recently picked him up at the beginning of December. This is like my 2nd post ever so some criticism would be nice (:​
This guide will highlight the many options that I like to choose from when you have your opponent offstage.

When you're in the situation to guard the edge, there are (i think) four options that you have:

THE EDGE

1.Reading the get up

Being able to read a get up from ledge is huge for any character, Wario just so happens to have the tools that covers different types of getups.

This is based off of your reaction and knowledge of how your opponent moves. See how he reacts when you stand far/close to the edge, shielding at the edge, etc. Does he wait for you to make a move? Or does he mix up between normal get up and rolling get up?

A jumping Bite (Neutral B) is able to cover 3 to 4 options in itself (depending on MU), only leaving the rolling getup and the uhh...drop jump to fair option to be open

Shielding at edge prevents your opponent from using a getup attack, giving you a chance to either nair OOS, Shield grab, or possibly follow the rolling get up --> waft.

Utilizing a bike up throw at the edge puts out an extra hitbox at the edge, narrowing your opponents options as you wait for their invincibility to wear out.

These are only some examples of playing the edge, where as the rest of these mainly deal with offstage follow-ups
THE OFFSTAGE
2. (Difficult Timing) Dash attack/ Dsmash

I always go for this, and probably 20% of the time i get it. What i am referring to is being able to hit your opponent as they magnet toward the ledge. As far as i witnessed, the sourspots for Dtilt, Dashattack (slip), and the Sweetspot of Dsmash can hit below the ledge (performed on Battlefield, Not too sure on other stages). If done correctly this leaves an opening for either a stage spike or gimp as these send the opponent down and away from the stage. The timing is hard, but could result in an easy stock if pulled off (: (Oh another way would be going for a D-air as they magnet, as it is the longest lasting hitbox out of Wario's Arials and could result in a stage spike)
3.(Consistent) Ledge Snap

Knowing how to ledge snap is...well good. You trump the ledge, forcing the opponent off and open for a Bair. I personally do this if i noticed that i have been playing patient at the edge, changing the pace forcing the other guy to react quickly for take my bair.​

4. (Wah ha ha) Offstage Bike/Waft

Using the Bike and Waft offensively offstage is great. Yep.

Using your bike mid-air travels a great horizontal distance. The whole time while you are on the bike you have a large hitbox with decent knockback. Its a great frame trap offstage as the opponent may be expecting an arial, when actually you can set up a bike, which at times can hit them as they come out of the dodge. The use of mid-air bike should only be used when your opponent is recovering high or if the MU's recovery is a diagonal, as the bike has weird hit box priority in the air.

Driving the bike of the edge is my favorite, as most recoveries are done below the edge or those bottom areas, ya. Whether you get a hit with a bike or not, it forces the opponent to move out of the way or counter the charge, which at times may cost them the stock. As this happens, always be conscious of when you can use your bike again, as if you miss the first bike, you can hit with the second and STILL recover back on stage.

Wafting off stage is the most satisfying kill ever. The best way to put this is reading and capitalizing on either the opponents second jump or recovery. A good example of this is the match between Wafty and Sonicmega at 1:25. At this point, After he throws megaman off stage, knowing that megaman has a vertical recovery, is either going to recover from below, diagonally, or an early up b (Assumingly thats what he was thinking idk.) He saw that mega used the second jump, charged in and got him at the peak of the jump.

Basically confidence in where your opponent will be offstage will help u land those offstage wafts​

Oh and you can also go for the bite offstage if you have a stock lead. Suiciding with them in your mouth is cheeky, but totally valid way of winning. If you REALLY want to be fancy, it IS possible to do a reverse bite ledge magnet --> Stage spike, but the timing is frame perfect.

Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!

Top Bottom