• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An infrequently used grab combo.

Massive

Smash Champion
Versus Fox/Falco (pretty common opponents nowadays)
d-throw > forward shorthop-bair (NOT djc bair... you won't move forward enough)

While it is possible to DI out of it, they have to DI all the way over, and this is a set-up for another well-known combo(fair)... use at your discretion.

note: To make it easier to preform, I recommend the use of the C-stick for the bair as it allows you to keep forward momentum.
note # 2: I discovered this combo when I forgot i was playing ness for a second and tried to Jigglypuff WoP someone.

Depending on what part of Ness's bair they collide with it will send them in one of 3 directions:

Ness's Knee: In front of you, still lightningy and staggered for a bit, they will fly forward a little ways; you can combo with another bair if your timing is perfect, and possibly a third if they didn't tech the landing, this is probobly the ideal outcome.

Ness's Head: They just kind of pop up in the air a little bit, this is an undesirable position because they can land and punish

Ness's Foot: They go backwards like any other bair; very good for knocking them away.

It's really not any better than an U-throw > u-air, but if you use it as a change-up, this can be very deadly (Effectively KO's falco/sets Fox up for a nasty edgeguard ~80%).

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I never knew Ness' bair had a hitbox around his head *looks it up in the hitbox thread*

Edit: Looked it up, you must mean hitting with the edge of the hitbox, there is no hitbox around his head, please explain (I would like to be able to use his down throw better).

Massive

Smash Champion
Its probobly not his head like you said, it just looks like it when you're moving at full speed.

The deal is if you nick em with the edge of the hitbox they either fly off a little ways or dont move at all.

It's a lot easier to show someone than to just say it, i'll have to hook up my video capture card or something and record it.

Metal

Smash Cadet
Cinci, OH (And my social security # is...)
Wow, this is really helpful for me. I agree, Fox and Falco are common foes now. All I ever really meet are Marth, Falco, Link and Fox. My two greatest weaknesses: swordsmen and speedsters.
Let's pretend you catch them while they're trying to recover from the right. Is it better to try and bair them right (off the stage), or left?

indie_dave

Smash Ace
eh, swordsmen and speedsters i can deal with...what i can't deal with !#@$@^@$^!#%@$#% spam good Lord

nice combo i like when the bair ko's forwards ^^

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Sounds interesting. But I dunno if my reflexes are great enough to decide between the shuffled bair or DjCed fair.

Massive

Smash Champion
Reply to your pre-edit post Earthbound360.
You can chase with a dash attack with relative certainty if they DI.

This combo is immensely useful if you dthrow them near the edge and they fly off, you can short-hop bair them forward into oblivion, since DIing in that situation is basically killing yourself.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
unless you hit them the wrong way and save them. but this is good, as a mix-up. mindgames, migraines.

Top Bottom