• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Idea For Pictochat

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
You know, if they include Pictochat in the next game, people playing on the Wii U could pick someone to use the tablet to draw obstacles like the ones in the Pictochat stage for Brawl. I think it'd be pretty cool, but I guess that someone could favor one of the actual fighters and just make him virtually invincible.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It would be an interesting gimmick stage.
I wouldn't mind it, personally.

Natis

Smash Apprentice
Seems cool in theory, but the risk of it is people can draw whatever they wanted. I say risk because if you are playing online, you'll most likely come across those immature people who will draw inappropriate things. However, some people could draw some awesome stuff too. So it's a toss up and could go either way.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Seems cool in theory, but the risk of it is people can draw whatever they wanted. I say risk because if you are playing online, you'll most likely come across those immature people who will draw inappropriate things.

There will always be people like that in the world. You just have to deal with them, although it's not my favorite thing to do. However, I think that some reporting would do for those people.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
If pictochat was in the next smash, wouldn't it be for the 3DS? Unless the Wii or Wii U had some pictochat thing that I never heard about.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Pictochat hasn't made a reoccurence, it would be considered a classic stage. Also, no thank you.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Instead of draw whatever you want, they could make pre-made gestures to trigger things on the stage. This removes the inappropriate drawings problem and still can be fun.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
3DS has Swapnote,and Wii U,I think it could be Miiverse.
I forgot about how the versions would have more to do if they were on handhelds or consoles. Also, I don't really see how that would work online, unless.. they talked to one another and decided who would do it.

Instead of draw whatever you want, they could make pre-made gestures to trigger things on the stage. This removes the inappropriate drawings problem and still can be fun.

Maybe people could send in obstacles that they want to get in and they might make it in, if it's deemed good enough and not too OP. (I probably will sound out of my mind 95% of my time here, so bear with me.)

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It would be an interesting gimmick stage.
I wouldn't mind it, personally.
It's hardly a gimmick. Developing a stage on the fly is a novel idea, even if the idea has been around for a long time.

Also, too many of you are worried about its abuse. Get a grip. As if that's the worst thing in the world. If you don't like it, get some friends and play with them, or just don't play on a stage where you know the picto-artist is up to no good anyway. Is it any worse than an obscene taunt party? Do you seriously think they will assign someone to oversee online reports of Pictochat drawings? Obviously drawing on the Pictochat stage isn't going to be a standard feature. Sakurai said that there will be no significant interaction between the touchscreens and gameplay. It would have to be a special mode.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's hardly a gimmick. Developing a stage on the fly is a novel idea, even if the idea has been around for a long time.

Also, too many of you are worried about its abuse. Get a grip. As if that's the worst thing in the world. If you don't like it, get some friends and play with them, or just don't play on a stage where you no the picto-artist is up to no good anyway. Is it any worse than an obscene taunt party? Do you seriously think they will assign someone to oversee online reports of Pictochat drawings? Obviously drawing on the Pictochat stage isn't going to be a standard feature. Sakurai said that there will be no significant interaction between the touchscreens and gameplay. It would have to be a special mode.
Don't get me wrong, I like this gimmick. :troll:

I don't think people's objections to this idea is worthy of getting so worked up about. It's just an idea, and frankly, I don't see it being implemented in the first place.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Don't get me wrong, I like this gimmick. :troll:

I don't think people's objections to this idea is worthy of getting so worked up about. It's just an idea, and frankly, I don't see it being implemented in the first place.

But it would be pretty cool if they somehow did it.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I don't really enjoy the idea of a super gimmicky stage controlled by a player. It just wouldn't be fun. (My personal opinion of course).

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think people's objections to this idea is worthy of getting so worked up about.
Since when did refuting the notion of anything constitute "getting worked up"? You're right, though, it is just an idea, on a discussion board. You know, a board for discussion. Try to be aware of where you are in space and time. Way to assume there are no collected critical thinkers out there. You need to hang out with smarter people.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
To be honest, I love Pictochat as it is now, but I love this idea and was even thinking about it too. I agree partially that people might draw inappropriate things, but I don't care if people troll it and make the stage impossible. That's actually why I love the idea, even if I am the one getting trolled. I'd love if I was trying to win a time match or something and then all of a sudden someone just traps me in a box so I get no kills. I can laugh at myself.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Since when did refuting the notion of anything constitute "getting worked up"? You're right, it is just an idea, on a discussion board. You know, a board for discussion. Try to be aware of where you are in space and time. Way to assume there are no collected critical thinkers out there. You need to hang out with smarter people.
Ooh, quite the hot head. :awesome:

It's one thing to discuss something, agree or disagree, and the like. It's another to jump into a discussion and tell everyone who doesn't like an idea to "get a grip".
Also, too many of you are worried about its abuse. Get a grip. As if that's the worst thing in the world.
So adamant. So bold. So daring. So edgy. So Quilt.

In any case, I'm only joking.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

It's one thing to discuss something, agree or disagree, and the like. It's another to jump into a discussion and tell everyone who doesn't like an idea to "get a grip".

It is hardly the case that being the tenth poster in a thread is "jumping into" a thread. Telling people to be more rational about how they feel about pictochat abuse and moderation is not uncalled for. Get a grip, Toaster.

Alright, Toaster. You're just trying to be annoying, nothing else. You are assuming too much, your straw-mans are failing you. You're not gonna make it, brah.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It is hardly the case that being the tenth poster in a thread is "jumping into" a thread. Telling people to be more rational about how they feel about pictochat abuse and moderation is not uncalled for. Get a grip, Toaster.

Alright, Toaster. You're just trying to be annoying, nothing else. You are assuming too much, your straw-mans are failing you. You're not gonna make it, brah.
Oh, you caught on more quickly than I thought someone inherently hostile would. :awesome:

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand, although this is an okay idea, it would be ideal if it was not playable online. It's unfortunate that it won't happen. I would love more things like this to be in the game.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I think it'd be pretty cool, but I guess that someone could favor one of the actual fighters and just make him virtually invincible.
I don't think most people will favor a fighter unless they're Handsome Jigglypuff, for its own sake. Messing with the players is the whole point of the stage and sounds like a lot of fun.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I would run a tournament based entirely on this stage. Teams of 2, 1 vs 1 matches, alternating stage-doodle wingman.

Despite being totally absurd, this might be the best stage idea I've ever heard (no hyperbole intended).

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I would run a tournament based entirely on this stage. Teams of 2, 1 vs 1 matches, alternating stage-doodle wingman.

Despite being totally absurd, this might be the best stage idea I've ever heard (no hyperbole intended).
Only if both wingmen get to manipulate the stage. Otherwise it's going to be incredibly one sided. In any case, it's probably going to come down to both players playing an infinite neutral character like Kirby trying to trap the opponent inside a box.

Or you could just have 1 vs. 2 matches, with just one of the wingmen drawing to compensate?

grizby2

Smash Lord
this thread isn't as happy as I thought it would be.

blue blue...

what if instead of drawing obstacles from scratch, there was a selection of things you could place and then angel onto the stage?
I know it kills the whole super duper custom draw-whatever-you-want aspect from pictochat.. but you know..

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
this thread isn't as happy as I thought it would be.

blue blue...

what if instead of drawing obstacles from scratch, there was a selection of things you could place and then angel onto the stage?
I know it kills the whole super duper custom draw-whatever-you-want aspect from pictochat.. but you know..
May as well be a Scribblenauts stage or something. But I suppose...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Draw a spiral to make wind, draw a raindrop for rain, draw a circle to change the time of day.
Man, Okami on the wii u woulda been the sh$#.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy

I like this.

Woo, someone thinks my ideas aren't too crazy!

Draw a spiral to make wind, draw a raindrop for rain, draw a circle to change the time of day.
I do agree on this. However, you forget that there could be things that acted like walls. Or spikes. Or TOTALLY ANNOYING LITTLE PIECES OF STUFF.

I like the idea, but it would only really be fun in a local, casual match.
Yeah, I really don't want to deal with the people online who troll all day 'erry day.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't know much about Okami, but simple patterns for sudden stage changes sounds like a lot of fun. You could take this idea beyond PictoChat. Whatever mode of input you use, stylus, switches, or dragging and dropping elements, you could open up a lot of opportunities for shenanigans.

Top Bottom