• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An idea about creating a way/program to learn techskill quickly

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
This is an idea that came to me recently. Its not totally fleshed out and just in its beginning stages and maybe a ton of stuff about this can be changed to make it better but I think it might have some promise. If not thats ok. I'm posting this here in case anybody here who is able to build and create programs and stuff like the melee hack pack or something might want to work on this. Be warned because this is not a fleshed out idea it is sloppily explained. It is only existing as a current spur of the moment idea and I don't want to lose it so i'm typing it out very quickly.

This idea expands on the ideas we're using in the melee hack pack to show when a mistake is made with L canceling by showing a red flash on the character.
So one big thing about why technical execution is such a problem is people have a hard time intuitively feeling out the right way it should be done or seeing how it should be done. Or their training efforts are undermined by having their hands and brain experience doing the tech skill wrong while they're trying to learn how to do it right. Experiencing something done wrong without corrective feedback to re enforce doing it right is never good and I think its a problem that exists in most peoples training approach to this game.

Why not do this. Have a small layout of a controller on the screen . Have the techskill you want to learn with the character programmed in with tool assisted data so that the controller acts on its own with its own computer character to show you how the tech skill is done while your character is also on the screen. All the currently known tech skill is compiled into this so you can choose what you want to try and teach yourself. Or maybe just a menu that lets you customize a tech skill training session for yourself like say wave dashing out of shield into some other tech you're working on. And the controller loads up with that data and the computer character its going to use to help demonstrate the tech.

The controller will show with visuals the maximum window of error on the controller and the most cleaned up way to do this so you can see how strict or loose you really have to be to do it.

Then when you try to do it with your own controller, the game senses the tiny differences you made in your controller to do it incorrectly. It will load the parts of the controller movement you couldn't do right on the controller on the screen and have you go through exercises until it senses that you're doing it right.

So for example
[Controller-]- Showing wavedash- shows rhythm of button pressing and sounds out the rhythm, shows it done crisp, highlights in red the max area your controller inputs can go in reaction time and joystick range to in order to do this right and where it should be to do it crisp

You try to do it. Your joystick isn't pressed back enough into the ground to air dodge and cause the wavedash.

Controller flashes in two colors. One showing where you were on your joystick in the incorrect zone, another where the acceptable joystick range is to do the tech, and/outlines on it of a joystick or something showing you where your joystick was and where it needs to be. An interactive exercise happens where the interactive controller image has a faded out spot where your joystick needs to go and the highlighted joystick icon you're controlling. When you move your own controller joystick the interactive joystick moves. When its in the right spot you get an alert. Then it tries to walk you through moving it to that right spot over and over again until eventually it doesn't show you where to put it. If you pass this test then it lets you go back to wave dashing.

This way you get exposed to doing only the tech skill correctly and you're corrected every time you start doing it wrong and hand held until its a sure thing that you know why you were doing it wrong and that you're not doing it wrong anymore. This keeps any bad tech skill habits from forming.

Edit- If it kept track of how many times you had practiced all available tech skill for your character and compared that time to how much you have demonstrated to be able to do it correctly under the programs judgement exercises to test you that would also let you keep visual tabs on everything you can do with your character and show you what you needed to improve on.

This last part is way up in the air but maybe finally programming in a way to learn application of that tech skill appropriately could be helpful. Say you're fox and you just learned waveshining and the program sees that you can do it well. It then runs you through all the known commonly occurring situations of vulnerability in the game where a character creates an opportunity for you to waveshine them in every matchup. And you keep running through that situation until you get good at that particular vulnerability so that you can react lightning fast whenever it happens. Or maybe just showing you all the known popular effective options in general of mixing up that tech skill with other tech skill you have so you don't use your techskill with 1/10 of the options you could really abuse with it.

2nd edit- And maybe before the program does anything to help you it asks if you've already warmed up your hands and had 1 to 2 cups water to drink at least 45 minutes before starting. If you say no it gives you a warm up routine to follow and refuses to start until you do it. No point in training hard dehydrated because dehydration makes you play worse. No point in trying this hard to learn tech skill without warming up your hands properly either. You perform the tech skill better and allow yourself to recover from the training faster with the warm up and prevent injury. Its a discipline that needs to be taught.

I have no idea what merit this has but I thought i'd share in case it can spark something. In hindsight I probably should have fleshed this out more lmao.

Last edited:

imrai

Smash Apprentice
My one complaint is that this could provide some ambiguous messages to new players about the important of pure tech skill over understanding of the game. I feel like training on your own and finding information about the way things work is the only way you can really further your "tech skill" in the long term, and of course applying it to games whenever you get the chance. Because tech skill isn't about the inputs, it's about knowing that while wavedashing you are jumping and air dodging, and the properties therein, and where that is applicable to other parts of the game. There are so many things like this where a bunch of little mechanics come into play to make a tech work, and teaching someone the tech skill inputs and not the mechanics behind what is happening is sort of cheating them out of what is overall a more important learning experience: an understanding of how the game works, and how you can use that to your advantage or for your enjoyment even as a casual player. I've practiced tech skill for more than 40 hours a week for the past 9 months attempting to learn to play Fox and as of late Falco as well, and I can say I didn't learn nearly as much from the input guide videos as I did from videos explaining why I sometimes skidded off the stage when being hit while nair-shining or wavedashing (usually a result of a strong forward launch combined with the crouch cancel DI from the shine/fast fall/wavedash input etc; ) because the videos broke the thing down into components of how it works in the game and not just how you do it and move around with it or use it in a combo. Also, I think the practice routine parts should be warning messages and noticeable, but don't make it quite so aggressive or it might scare some people off or just annoy them too much. A helpful reminder is nice, but someone with the discipline to do it was already going to 9/10 times. The other people will skip the reminder text anyway.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
This is an idea that came to me recently. Its not totally fleshed out and just in its beginning stages and maybe a ton of stuff about this can be changed to make it better but I think it might have some promise. If not thats ok. I'm posting this here in case anybody here who is able to build and create programs and stuff like the melee hack pack or something might want to work on this. Be warned because this is not a fleshed out idea it is sloppily explained. It is only existing as a current spur of the moment idea and I don't want to lose it so i'm typing it out very quickly.

This idea expands on the ideas we're using in the melee hack pack to show when a mistake is made with L canceling by showing a red flash on the character.
So one big thing about why technical execution is such a problem is people have a hard time intuitively feeling out the right way it should be done or seeing how it should be done. Or their training efforts are undermined by having their hands and brain experience doing the tech skill wrong while they're trying to learn how to do it right. Experiencing something done wrong without corrective feedback to re enforce doing it right is never good and I think its a problem that exists in most peoples training approach to this game.

Why not do this. Have a small layout of a controller on the screen . Have the techskill you want to learn with the character programmed in with tool assisted data so that the controller acts on its own with its own computer character to show you how the tech skill is done while your character is also on the screen. All the currently known tech skill is compiled into this so you can choose what you want to try and teach yourself. Or maybe just a menu that lets you customize a tech skill training session for yourself like say wave dashing out of shield into some other tech you're working on. And the controller loads up with that data and the computer character its going to use to help demonstrate the tech.

The controller will show with visuals the maximum window of error on the controller and the most cleaned up way to do this so you can see how strict or loose you really have to be to do it.

Then when you try to do it with your own controller, the game senses the tiny differences you made in your controller to do it incorrectly. It will load the parts of the controller movement you couldn't do right on the controller on the screen and have you go through exercises until it senses that you're doing it right.

So for example
[Controller-]- Showing wavedash- shows rhythm of button pressing and sounds out the rhythm, shows it done crisp, highlights in red the max area your controller inputs can go in reaction time and joystick range to in order to do this right and where it should be to do it crisp

You try to do it. Your joystick isn't pressed back enough into the ground to air dodge and cause the wavedash.

Controller flashes in two colors. One showing where you were on your joystick in the incorrect zone, another where the acceptable joystick range is to do the tech, and/outlines on it of a joystick or something showing you where your joystick was and where it needs to be. An interactive exercise happens where the interactive controller image has a faded out spot where your joystick needs to go and the highlighted joystick icon you're controlling. When you move your own controller joystick the interactive joystick moves. When its in the right spot you get an alert. Then it tries to walk you through moving it to that right spot over and over again until eventually it doesn't show you where to put it. If you pass this test then it lets you go back to wave dashing.

This way you get exposed to doing only the tech skill correctly and you're corrected every time you start doing it wrong and hand held until its a sure thing that you know why you were doing it wrong and that you're not doing it wrong anymore. This keeps any bad tech skill habits from forming.

Edit- If it kept track of how many times you had practiced all available tech skill for your character and compared that time to how much you have demonstrated to be able to do it correctly under the programs judgement exercises to test you that would also let you keep visual tabs on everything you can do with your character and show you what you needed to improve on.

This last part is way up in the air but maybe finally programming in a way to learn application of that tech skill appropriately could be helpful. Say you're fox and you just learned waveshining and the program sees that you can do it well. It then runs you through all the known commonly occurring situations of vulnerability in the game where a character creates an opportunity for you to waveshine them in every matchup. And you keep running through that situation until you get good at that particular vulnerability so that you can react lightning fast whenever it happens. Or maybe just showing you all the known popular effective options in general of mixing up that tech skill with other tech skill you have so you don't use your techskill with 1/10 of the options you could really abuse with it.

2nd edit- And maybe before the program does anything to help you it asks if you've already warmed up your hands and had 1 to 2 cups water to drink at least 45 minutes before starting. If you say no it gives you a warm up routine to follow and refuses to start until you do it. No point in training hard dehydrated because dehydration makes you play worse. No point in trying this hard to learn tech skill without warming up your hands properly either. You perform the tech skill better and allow yourself to recover from the training faster with the warm up and prevent injury. Its a discipline that needs to be taught.

I have no idea what merit this has but I thought i'd share in case it can spark something. In hindsight I probably should have fleshed this out more lmao.
My game dev teacher has this quote he abuses. "In the programming world, no one cares about your idea until you implement it." It used to annoy me until recently. Anyway, I'm not saying this wouldn't be cool, but it's extremely unrealistic to draw an image or video.

Top Bottom