• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aMSa has inspired me

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
So I want to at least see how I like Yoshi, if not decide to main him, all because of what I saw from aMSa at Apex. So I want to develop some stuff to practice, all the basic tech skill a Yoshi player needs. So far I have:
  1. Movement- Moving around the stage- wave dashing and wave landing efficiently with Yoshi
  2. Double Jump Canceling- Mostly Nairs and U-airs
  3. Edge Game- Edge Cancelling eggs and downb
  4. Parrying- Self Explanatory
I was wondering if any Yoshi mains here had any major tech skill they I should add to the list, and also I would like to know a reliable way to practice parrying and the thing that allows you to air dodge out of tumbling(not sure what it's called). Thank you so much Yoshi nation!

Edit: Oh, I forgot shield dropping!!!

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
My honest suggestion is to really get the basics of the character down first.

Movement is THE primary thing you should be studying.

Aside from that, everything on that list is honestly below secondary. The basics are absolutely essential; you can do all the fancy stuff you want all day, but there's a reason you don't see more Yoshi play like aMSa's (hint, hint).

Movement is beyond wavedashing and wavelanding (although that stuff is important more and more lately). Jump arcs, your dash spacing, your different dashdance timings, the distance and timing of your roll (still a good tool), edge grabbing, double jump canceling and how it is affected by your different moves...all these things are basics movement fundamentals that you should really focus on first. That's not to assume that you are new to Melee, but these are the definitive "first stops" for this character (I feel) and you won't get very far without them.

The answer I give to this question (done that for quite a few years) is always the one people don't want to hear because it's basically saying "don't do the cool flashy stuff you saw and want to replicate" and instead saying "practice these really boring but super important things and then go do the dishes and mow the lawn" or something equally dull. If you're just trying to play Yoshi for giggles and aren't really serious about it, then your list is perfect for keeping the character entertaining and flashy. If you're interested in seriously playing Yoshi, you shouldn't really be worrying about that stuff aside from movement for a long time.

After movement, the next big things to learn are how to use your shield and your basic moveset. Because Yoshi's shield is so different (small differences that matter a lot when examined in match play), you will actually want to take a fresh look at how to use it. The moveset note seems obvious, but Yoshi's moves are so situational and specific to matchups and stage positions that, again, you will really want to toss away your pre-fabricated notions of what they are and what they do if this is your first time with the character. Frame data isn't TOO important for this character, but it's good to know the data on a few of his best moves so you can apply some math to basics situations that you can force and be quite sure of the outcomes (punishing, frame traps, etc.). Egg control is an important subsection of the "learn his moves" chapter, but you will learn that quite easily on your own.

Anyway, that's my answer. Again, if you're not being serious about Yoshi, you can actually just use your list and you'll be fine. If you're serious about playing him, you will need to not worry about that stuff until you really get a solid hang of (like...REALLY get a solid hang of) his more boring, but infinitely more important, basics tools.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
You just have to move your control stick left and right a little bit to take your character out of tumble and be able to air dodge.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
My honest suggestion is to really get the basics of the character down first.

Movement is THE primary thing you should be studying.

Aside from that, everything on that list is honestly below secondary. The basics are absolutely essential; you can do all the fancy stuff you want all day, buttons there's a reason you don't see more Yoshi play like aM

Movement is beyond wavedashing and wavelanding (although that stuff is important more and more lately). Jump arcs, your dash spacing, your different dashdance timings, the distance and timing of your roll (still a good tool), edge grabbing, double jump canceling and how it is affected by your different moves...all these things are basics movement fundamentals that you should really focus on first. That's not to assume that you are new to Melee, but these are the definitive "first stops" for this character (I feel) and you won't get very far without them.

The answer I give to this question (done that for quite a few years) is always the one people don't want to hear because it's basically saying "don't do the cool flashy stuff you saw and want to replicate" and instead saying "practice these really boring but super important things and then go do the dishes and mow the lawn" or something equally dull. If you're just trying to play Yoshi for giggles and aren't really serious about it, then your list is perfect for keeping the character entertaining and flashy. If you're interested in seriously playing Yoshi, you shouldn't really be worrying about that stuff aside from movement for a long time.

After movement, the next big things to learn are how to use your shield and your basic moveset. Because Yoshi's shield is so different (small differences that matter a lot when examined in match play), you will actually want to take a fresh look at how to use it. The moveset note seems obvious, but Yoshi's moves are so situational and specific to matchups and stage positions that, again, you will really want to toss away your pre-fabricated notions of what they are and what they do if this is your first time with the character. Frame data isn't TOO important for this character, but it's good to know the data on a few of his best moves so you can apply some math to basics situations that you can force and be quite sure of the outcomes (punishing, frame traps, etc.). Egg control is an important subsection of the "learn his moves" chapter, but you will learn that quite easily on your own.

Anyway, that's my answer. Again, if you're not being serious about Yoshi, you can actually just use your list and you'll be fine. If you're serious about playing him, you will need to not worry about that stuff until you really get a solid hang of (like...REALLY get a solid hang of) his more boring, but infinitely more important,
Than you for the response! From watching Yoshi players it is clear from the very start how differently he moves from the rest of the cast, you definatly know what you're talking about and I agree that movement needs to be mastered first. That said I think it's important to have some variety in training, so I dont burn myself out, which is why I want to practice djc and eggs, two more simple skills that I will need to learn, that I can use as more of a break when I am getting really bored of practicing movement options for long periods of time :)

Last edited:

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
You just have to move your control stick left and right a little bit to take your character out of tumble and be able to air dodge.
Thank you Upke! I'm sure you'll see me around the net play iirc, maybe some day I can play you with my Yoshi :)

karu_no_saru

Smash Rookie
I believe I am in the exact same situation you are.
I've been maining Kirby since even before I knew about advanced techs (mostly due to his down b being what I considered "broken" in casual play^^) and just recently decided to switch to yoshi.
It was not an easy decision for me because of how much I love kirby and how long I've been maining it, but I also refused to switch to a top tier.
But in the end playing Kirby is just so very frustrating once your opponents adapt to his crouch game.

Anyways, I just played Yoshi in a tournament for the first time and had pretty disappointing results, I didn't make it out of pools, but then I at least won the amateur bracket.
However, I didn't feel like I had problems doing the stuff I practised, like DJC Uair Juggles, wavelands to different nair timings as an approach or egg-camping.
I did have problems keeping my defense up, though. And this is what I would love to seek advise for. I just couldn't deal with both projectile spam and shield pressure, Falco in particular was a nightmare since he's capable of doing both.
So my thoughts on that are that I need to train how to use my shield better and how to time my aerials so they at least trade with whoever is pressuring me, but aside from that I am way too inexperienced to know what to do.
Any tips? :)

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
I did have problems keeping my defense up, though. And this is what I would love to seek advise for. I just couldn't deal with both projectile spam and shield pressure, Falco in particular was a nightmare since he's capable of doing both.
So my thoughts on that are that I need to train how to use my shield better and how to time my aerials so they at least trade with whoever is pressuring me, but aside from that I am way too inexperienced to know what to do.
Any tips? :)
When fighting spammy laser Falcos, try to approach with full hop fairs to stay out of his laser range. And when they approach with dairs which they usually do, try timing and spacing an ftilt, it has a lot of priority.

Spice

Smash Cadet
I also switched over to Yoshi recently after seeing how aMSa played (I've switched Marth to my secondary now), it was incredible to watch him.

One thing I will add that isn't already covered here is learn how to properly use Yoshi's wavedash. While this is pretty obvious and could be said about almost every character, Yoshi's is pretty long and his ground game isn't bad compared to most characters.

Top Bottom