• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibos... am I missing something?

_gold_

Smash Master
In the beginning, I was one of the few who thought you could play as your amiibo. You know, level them up to 50, bring 'em over to your friend's house, and see who would have the strongest amiibo. Eventually I found out this simply wasn't the case. That being said, I'm amazed by how popular these little guys still are. I must have given up on them too soon. Am I not using them correctly?

Khao

Smash Lord
Nah, they're just not for everyone.

A lot of people get them purely because they're (mostly) decent looking figures that are pretty cheap. In-game functionality is just a minor but cool bonus. If you're not interested in figures in general, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Last edited:

cheezy

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheez124
3DS FC
2664-2287-2711
Nah, they're just not for everyone.

A lot of people get them purely because they're (mostly) decent looking figures that are pretty cheap. In-game functionality is just a minor but cool bonus. If you're not interested in figures in general, I wouldn't recommend getting one.
this is a big part of it, especially for characters who probably won't get a lot of merchandise in the future (shulk, for example).

but yeah, it's not like the functionality isn't cool too. my brother and my cousin both have their own amiibos, and we do watch them battle every now and then, and it's pretty fun

I_just_reallylikeLink

Smash Rookie
Like it was said previously, it's not the use you get out of them it's their resale value once they're gone from the market.

Firehyphen

Can wavedash in Sm4sh.
NNID
Firehyphen
Im a figure/toy and plushie collector and so are alot of people. There right up our ally. Also i get another yoshi to have on my desk :3

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I collect all kinds of figures and such. That's the main reason I want them. I barely use the ingame functionality. Plus, where else am I going to get a figure of Captain Falcon or Mr. Game & Watch?

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I get them for numerous reasons. As previously mentioned, they're nice to look at. Next would be that it gives me an incentive to learn the character as I train them (I use the same character). Lastly is they act as DLC in a way, but for multiple games and there could be more in the future. I can also share said "DLC" with my friends, and likewise in return for any I don't have.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
I do not get why people would think that you can play AS your amiibo. What difference would it be- playing as amiibo or normal character?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Edit: Am I the only guy who uses these more than mere shelf decoration?

Yea I can see how thinking they were "playable" would put a sour taste in your mouth about them once the truth surfaced.

When i bought my first amiibo I didnt know what it could do, but i was recently paid, game stop only had 1 Samus left so I caved. when I played around with the training I was amazed at how deadly that little chick could be. In mirror matching with it I became very adept at using Samus, in that, trying to teach it combo's lead to me being more proficient with combo'ing myself.

My friend bought a Zelda shortly after I texted him on how impressed I was with the little figurine.*
I know own 5 amiibo's:
Link
Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
and Peach.

So far Samus is the only one I've fed equipment to to make her more potent*
but in training the others against her, They've her with pure skill, which is crazy given that me and my smash partner couldn't even take out 2 stocks on Samus before she won in a 4 stock match BEFORE giving her equipment.

To me, Its simply another way to have fun with your friends, its like a real life pokemon match. you chose your trained pokemon (amiibo) and see which one is better skilled.
In a game that already has a lot of unique game modes this gives you another way to enjoy your time with smash.
Thats at least how I see it.

*footnote*
To see how my amiibo fared in that fight you can go here http://smashboards.com/threads/amii...pment-as-is-equipment-won-tips-wanted.387751/

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'm going to reiterate what everyone already made clear and say that I get them because they look cool. I leveled my Pit up to the max level, then I didn't really do much after that apart from admire his position on my shelf every so often :p

They're basically just pretty figurines of Nintendo characters; who doesn't want to show off who their favourites are? I'm personally going to pick up all the Kid Icarus characters, then give my wallet a rest.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
These amiibo are almost like a dream come true. As they're based off the character trophies you collect in the game, they're also right there with you in your home. I collect them primarily as figurines, and they aren't expensive individually. But I did cave and use them for in game purposes too. Once you play with them and level them up, they give you rewards and bonuses. A big double win for that.

They're small, cute, and pretty good with the detail. They're something I've grown to love.

Colonel Shubb Shubb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4484-9916-4119
Pretty, pretty figures...

But the in-game functionality is, cute. I enjoyed the couple of hours it took to get mine to 50, wish it was longer. It would have been nice for some more customization (like it's fighting style I guess) or something. But still, cute.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Pretty, pretty figures...

But the in-game functionality is, cute. I enjoyed the couple of hours it took to get mine to 50, wish it was longer. It would have been nice for some more customization (like it's fighting style I guess) or something. But still, cute.
Amiibo's dont stop evolving at lvl 50, they still learn new fighting techniques. the lvl system is associated with the stat boost that amiibos get by default.

Last edited:

Colonel Shubb Shubb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4484-9916-4119
Amiibo's dont stop evolving at lvl 50, they still learn new fighting techniques. the lvl system is associated with the stat boost that amiibos get by default.
Ah, I forgot about that. Suppose I should play around with it more.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I have three amiibos: Mario, Link and Samus. I make they fight when I'm not playing, so I get amiibo gifts. Sometimes I fight against them. I also like to make they fight in uncommon matchups, just to watch they fight for fun.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
They do seem to adapt much more slowly at 50, however, as it is quite hard to break an Amiibo of a bad habit without resetting them.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
They do seem to adapt much more slowly at 50, however, as it is quite hard to break an amiibo of a bad habit without resetting them.
they learn based on move effectiveness, if your amiibo doesnt die or lose it wont consider its habits bad and continue life as is. which can make fixing bad habits difficult, which is why hand training for most of its levels where it is tamer is key. however amiibo vs amiibo fights produce some interesting results. and if youre like me and dont feed your amiibo anything at all, you can find ways to beat it and teach it some manners. but yes, resetting is easier to fix an amiibo's stupidity, simply because you can punish it without it dodging every move that would finish it off.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I only have one amiibo at the moment (Link) and I'm definitely gonna get my Rosalina one delivered at my front door this week. Now I just gotta find where to get Mega Man and Ike.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am just trying to collect as many amiibos as possible. I currently have the following amiibos:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4dk::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4tlink::4samus::4pit::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:

Why do I want amiibos? Well, I'm a lifelong fan of Nintendo. I love Nintendo characters. They are so colorful and diverse and have so much history.

Some people collect Barbie dolls or Beanie Babies. Some people collect trading cards or pogs. Some people collect stamps or coins. But me, I collect amiibos.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
I am just trying to collect as many amiibos as possible. I currently have the following amiibos:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4dk::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4tlink::4samus::4pit::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:

Why do I want amiibos? Well, I'm a lifelong fan of Nintendo. I love Nintendo characters. They are so colorful and diverse and have so much history.

Some people collect Barbie dolls or Beanie Babies. Some people collect trading cards or pogs. Some people collect stamps or coins. But me, I collect amiibos.
Amen to that. Nintendo really threw themselves into the collection craze, and its working for them. For better or worse, when in regards to the supply/demand.

My current collection:
:4mario::4peach::4dk::4yoshi::4link::4fox:
:4samus::4wiifit::4villager::4pikachu::4kirby:

:4zelda::4luigi::4diddy::4littlemac::4pit::4falcon:

:4bowser::rosalina:

All I'm missing from Wave 1 is Marth, and everyone buy Bowser/Rosalina from Wave 3. Villager should be coming in the mail soon.

Last edited:

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Amiibos are like pokemon for smash. Whoever came up with the idea is a genius, but I agree it's not for everyone.

I've been on the fence about getting one, but I'm partly interested due to NFC hackery also.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The only currently released Amiibo I don't have is Lucario. It never got a proper release in Virginia. I haven't been calling the Toys R Us stores everyday since 1/30, but they might start showing up soon, if I haven't already missed that boat. I'm gonna try to trade for a Lucario, but failing that, I 'll just buy it from Europe again...

My biggest concern? Getting Wave 4 preordered.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They're real life Smash trophies. I loved collecting trophies in-game, so you bet I would try to collect all of the real life ones.

But I enjoy the functionality too. Quite a bit, actually. And in terms of how they might work in future games, I would like to have my bases covered.

I just love having them. I often admire them, and I intend to experiment with them in the future, in terms of functionality in Smash.

Some people also get a kick out of modding their Amiibos.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
The only currently released Amiibo I don't have is Lucario. It never got a proper release in Virginia. I haven't been calling the Toys R Us stores everyday since 1/30, but they might start showing up soon, if I haven't already missed that boat. I'm gonna try to trade for a Lucario, but failing that, I 'll just buy it from Europe again...

My biggest concern? Getting Wave 4 preordered.
It sucks how most stores won't be alerted about the releases. I had to buy Lucario online, but thankfully he was a US version. Not that having a Japan/European version is bad, since they're region free, but it makes the challenge of finding a reasonable US one more exhilarating. This really isn't how I pictured my amiibo hunt, but Nintendo is playing hard ball with us.

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
I currently have Mario, Zelda (eh, she isn't that good), Pikachu, and Kirby. I really enjoy fighting against them. It's very interesting to see them do 1 on 1. Usually the first amiibo to win wins by a lot, then the next battle you can easily see the losing amiibo adapt and start to win. They learn very fast. Like I said they are very fun to have and watch them battle. I am very excited for the new ones.

Top Bottom