• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Tournaments

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
With the Amiibo craze that was introduced following Smash Bros. release, does anyone else think or feel as if Amiibo tournaments in the future is something that will take off? I mean, it's kind of like Pokemon, but there's a lot of actual training factor and a little bit of luck that goes into it as well. Does anyone think this can actually take off and start being considered as a serious/semi-serious event? I'm sure that if you stay consistent while training it that your Amiibo will be consistent enough to actually do well - and actually earn you/itself a reputation. Dumb luck will always play a factor in events like this of course, but I mean, consistency and techniques and of course adapting pretty much helps you avoid a lot of that in double elimination.

I just don't see the full benefit of the craze if it's not being used to it's max potential. Don't get me wrong, I'm involved in it for the collection portion of it, but why not have fun with the interactive side of the craze at the same time? It's an amazing looking display with interactive benefits to show off and get swept away in to boot. Seems like a really cheap and fun event to get caught up in, with a payout yet on top of it if it takes off.

I know a lot of people are on board with the idea, but I haven't seen too many Amiibo Tournies being advertised in tournament discussions/listings. But the ones that I have seen have pretty much gotten large turnouts. So why aren't we seeing more of these yet?

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
With the Amiibo craze that was introduced following Smash Bros. release, does anyone else think or feel as if Amiibo tournaments in the future is something that will take off? I mean, it's kind of like Pokemon, but there's a lot of actual training factor and a little bit of luck that goes into it as well. Does anyone think this can actually take off and start being considered as a serious/semi-serious event? I'm sure that if you stay consistent while training it that your Amiibo will be consistent enough to actually do well - and actually earn you/itself a reputation. Dumb luck will always play a factor in events like this of course, but I mean, consistency and techniques and of course adapting pretty much helps you avoid a lot of that in double elimination.

I just don't see the full benefit of the craze if it's not being used to it's max potential. Don't get me wrong, I'm involved in it for the collection portion of it, but why not have fun with the interactive side of the craze at the same time? It's an amazing looking display with interactive benefits to show off and get swept away in to boot. Seems like a really cheap and fun event to get caught up in, with a payout yet on top of it if it takes off.

I know a lot of people are on board with the idea, but I haven't seen too many Amiibo Tournies being advertised in tournament discussions/listings. But the ones that I have seen have pretty much gotten large turnouts. So why aren't we seeing more of these yet?
In some tournaments they have them as side events. But they're not really streamed so not very many people see them. The Pokemon aspect of it would be cool. Train your amiibo to adapt or to be aggressive or to be defensive etc.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
In some tournaments they have them as side events. But they're not really streamed so not very many people see them. The Pokemon aspect of it would be cool. Train your amiibo to adapt or to be aggressive or to be defensive etc.
I'd probably have to play a few rounds defensively just to tell my amiibo to play offensively, so I'd have an amiibo reflecting my normal playstyle. But I'm definitely on board with this idea - could be a fun side event.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Certain tournaments have them on the side, though no one really does it anymore, because it's just not hype really.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I see a lot of excitement and online posts about it on Reddit, and I don't understand why they're not hyped exactly because retail stores are pretty much selling out of reserves nationwide.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
I see a lot of excitement and online posts about it on Reddit, and I don't understand why they're not hyped exactly because retail stores are pretty much selling out of reserves nationwide.
I think that's exactly why they aren't hyped - few people actually can get access to them.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
We've already had a few in my scene and they are

SO

HYPE.

The amiibo tournaments we've had have always been a heck-ton of fun for everyone, and I really recommend trying it out.

Top Bottom