• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Money

How much will you spend on the amiibo?

• ALL characters 50+ characters around 1000 dollars

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Just the ones I like 10 or so characters: about 200 dollars

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Just an Amiibo or two: 30 dollars

Votes: 66 53.2%

• Total voters

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Except you're totally wrong. Without the crapmiibo, you can't do the whole ai leveling CPU thing.

Amiibo = locked content enabled by DLC. People hate that for a reason. They could have made the amiibos figurines only, not necessary keys to unlock content!!
"Crapmiibo"... Real mature.

Think about this. The reveal trailer emphasized, for one thing, the ability to take it to a friend's house and have it compete against other peoples' own unique intelligent CPUs - that's something that couldn't be done if saved to the system.

Last edited:

ybj

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-6639-8555
Just went to my local game shop and saw that they were selling amiibos for pre-order for $30, so I'm steering clear of these things

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Just went to my local game shop and saw that they were selling amiibos for pre-order for $30, so I'm steering clear of these things
No, steer clear of the store. If they're doubling the suggested retail price, that's extortion.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Obviously the RSS reader being secretly in our Gamepads the entire time (did anyone know that?) is a hint that they were waiting to do that for a while. Hopefully this is not too late. The 'make your own Mii amiibo,' which I anticipate ready next spring or november, will boost sales a lot when people order so many they don't get them in time for Christmas.

upload_2014-7-20_20-36-53.jpeg

upload_2014-7-20_20-37-11.jpeg

Yes, I was well aware of the NFC figures and the RSS Reader, Pokemon Rumble U used this feature with Pokemon Figurines.

As for me, Ill probably buy most if not all of my mains, which will be about 5-8 Amiibos, and then some for the other Nintendo games available.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
"Crapmiibo"... Real mature.

Think about this. The reveal trailer emphasized, for one thing, the ability to take it to a friend's house and have it compete against other peoples' own unique intelligent CPUs - that's something that couldn't be done if saved to the system.
Okay, but that's only one part of it.

There could be other solutions, like having a hub online where you store your Amiibo CPUs. That way, you could retrieve them at your friends house.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Okay, but that's only one part of it.

There could be other solutions, like having a hub online where you store your Amiibo CPUs. That way, you could retrieve them at your friends house.
That would be called a cloud service. Which would have to be paid for by time-based subscription in order to keep up with the server costs and cumulate to be far more expensive than if you just used an Amiibo in a matter of months.

And don't say "they should just make it free". Custom AI takes up more data space than you think, especially if enabled for all 45-55 characters. There's a reason Pokémon Bank charges by year (and is really cheap even considering that).

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
That would be called a cloud service. Which would have to be paid for by time-based subscription in order to keep up with the server costs and cumulate to be far more expensive than if you just used an Amiibo in a matter of months.

And don't say "they should just make it free". Custom AI takes up more data space than you think, especially if enabled for all 45-55 characters. There's a reason Pokémon Bank charges by year (and is really cheap even considering that).
It should be free. The amiibos sold would surely pay for the hub costs. The amiibos should be optional for the content they provide (it's easier to scan in a figurine than accessing a hub), not necessary.

And lol, do you know anything about programming? Regarding the data size.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It should be free. The amiibos sold would surely pay for the hub costs. The amiibos should be optional for the content they provide (it's easier to scan in a figurine than accessing a hub), not necessary.

You were suggesting a hub to have been introduced INSTEAD OF the "crapmiibos", so that's a moot point. You're backpedaling. The "convenience" is a nonissue, too, because accessing a hub wouldn't require getting up from your seat. There's be no reason for most people to buy an Amiibo if there was a hub, so that wouldn't even come close to covering the cost. And it would only work for one game.

And as a matter of fact, I do. They
may be small enough individually to fit on a dedicated space on a flash memory device (like an Amiibo), but if you intend to use the entire roster (which many people would attempt at first and then forget most of them), it would add up.

Precedent: Pokémon Bank, once again. Pokémon individually are only a few numbers, but the game encourages using a very large number of them, along with breeding leftovers, and that accumulates. And one intelligent Super Smash Bros. opponent is much larger than one Pokémon.

I will also bring up yet again how Nintendo's in serious financial trouble right now.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Extortion: obtain something by force, threat, or unfair means. At best you could call this 'unfair,' certainly not threat or force. I think the statement that it is unfair needs to be called into question, as believing all of this content should be free to the consumer is what is actually unfair, and ridiculously greedy.
I think wanting a ton of free content, for Nintendo to offer lots of free service, and to then want to pay nothing towards it, is actually you trying to extort them.

Smash Bros by itself is worth more than double the price of the actual game, considering how much replay value it has. I do not know many many people simply play it once or twice, it is played far more than most titles. If you take that into account, it is worth far more per dollar than most games the average (that is mean, median, mode, or range definition of the word average) consumer buys.

No one is forcing you to buy an amiibo, just as you do not need to buy every piece of DLC in any other game. In fact, in this game it seems you truly do not need them even to unlock everything (so far, compared to other games which have DLC for tons of micro purchases). Even if it were that way, I would not at all blame Nintendo, as this is their most profitable franchise, and could easily be their way into continued success in the future, ensuring future installments of this franchise can even exist.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'll probably get my top three, if they appear to be more than an interesting gimmick. If they're just a cool gimmick, then I'll only be getting Robin.

I will also bring up yet again how Nintendo's in serious financial trouble right now.
Nintendo's sitting on plenty of cash for a rainy day, and MK8 alone more than sextupled the U sales in Europe.

Unless it becomes commonplace for players to practice against AI that they leveled up via the Amiibo, I doubt it will be considered as bad as typical small DLC packs are. At least with what we know so far, they're more of a fun gimmick to battle around with friends, not intended to replace CPUs as the isolated player's practice dummies.

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
You were suggesting a hub to have been introduced INSTEAD OF the "crapmiibos", so that's a moot point. You're backpedaling. The "convenience" is a nonissue, too, because accessing a hub wouldn't require getting up from your seat. There's be no reason for most people to buy an Amiibo if there was a hub, so that wouldn't even come close to covering the cost. And it would only work for one game.

And as a matter of fact, I do. They
may be small enough individually to fit on a dedicated space on a flash memory device (like an Amiibo), but if you intend to use the entire roster (which many people would attempt at first and then forget most of them), it would add up.

Precedent: Pokémon Bank, once again. Pokémon individually are only a few numbers, but the game encourages using a very large number of them, along with breeding leftovers, and that accumulates. And one intelligent Super Smash Bros. opponent is much larger than one Pokémon.

1) Why would it work for only one game? What makes you think that?

2) "You were suggesting a hub to have been introduced INSTEAD OF the "crapmiibos", so that's a moot point." is effin wrong. You're backpedaling. You're losing this argument.
2.5) The convenicence is an issue, as every player who would want to use their special CPU would have to log in and retrieve it. 4 players having to do that takes a lot of time

3) People would still buy Amiibos. There are a lot of collectors. I would certainly buy one just for fun (only one, though) to have it sitting next to my TV.

4) There could be a limit on how many special CPUs you can use on the hub, to encourage Amiibo purchasing and save costs.

5) Pokémon is an entirely different game. Stop using it as a backup argument.

6) Give me some numbers on Nintendo's financial trouble. Remember the Wii success? I haven't taken time to read up on this, but Nintendo being in financial trouble sounds as likely as you having justified arguments for NOT having a hub.

7) Apply cold water.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Extortion: obtain something by force, threat, or unfair means. At best you could call this 'unfair,' certainly not threat or force. I think the statement that it is unfair needs to be called into question, as believing all of this content should be free to the consumer is what is actually unfair, and ridiculously greedy.
I think wanting a ton of free content, for Nintendo to offer lots of free service, and to then want to pay nothing towards it, is actually you trying to extort them.

Smash Bros by itself is worth more than double the price of the actual game, considering how much replay value it has. I do not know many many people simply play it once or twice, it is played far more than most titles. If you take that into account, it is worth far more per dollar than most games the average (that is mean, median, mode, or range definition of the word average) consumer buys.

No one is forcing you to buy an amiibo, just as you do not need to buy every piece of DLC in any other game. In fact, in this game it seems you truly do not need them even to unlock everything (so far, compared to other games which have DLC for tons of micro purchases). Even if it were that way, I would not at all blame Nintendo, as this is their most profitable franchise, and could easily be their way into continued success in the future, ensuring future installments of this franchise can even exist.

1) I didn't say it was extortion, you're quoting the wrong guy.

2) Having to buy outside figurines (which will probably land on 10 dollars a piece or something ridiculous like that, imagine getting the whole roster) to get a part of the game which was already added before release isn't greedy, to you?

3) It's not trying to extort Nintendo to demand this stuff to be free. We're buying the game, remember?

4) Lol @ Smash being worth more than double the price. I don't see how you can bring this up as a legitimate argument. Why don't you go ahead and pay extra when you buy it, then.

5) Nobody is forcing you to buy a ton of crap DLC which is released for other games, yet people get very upset when it's an obvious 100% cash-grab.

6) Amiibo isn't what will secure Smash's future.

As I said, there should be an option to at least have ONE "free" special CPU. Do you really think it's okay to have to buy FIGURINES, which do nothing except look pretty? Oh wait, they store data! Hurr durr. If we at least had a free option, which could/should be a bit of a hassle compared to simply scanning in the figurine (to promote selling Amiibos), then I wouldn't complain. It's the price of these figurines that pisses me off. To get the whole roster, you're gonna have to spend a lot of money, if you think about how little the figurines actually give you.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Warning Received
Alright, I admit it. You have mostly valid arguments. But the fact that you're being so hostile and stuck-up about it makes me want to keep fighting.

It's not your arguments that are making us defensive. It's your tone.

A little lesson about debate, the way you say something can make people immediately cling to the other side without question and without compromise just so they don't have to have the embarrassment of agreeing with you. Strong statements are exchanged, and that's how wars start.

tl;dr: You may have a point, but you're a jerk, so nobody wants to hear it from you. If anyone else said it, or if you said it in any other way, I might've listened.

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Alright, I admit it. You have mostly valid arguments. But the fact that you're being so hostile and stuck-up about it makes me want to keep fighting.

It's not your arguments that are making us defensive. It's your tone.

A little lesson about debate, the way you say something can make people immediately cling to the other side without question and without compromise just so they don't have to have the embarrassment of agreeing with you. Strong statements are exchanged, and that's how wars start.

tl;dr: You may have a point, but you're a jerk, so nobody wants to hear it from you. If anyone else said it, or if you said it in any other way, I might've listened.
Haha, I love to win. Thank you.

SPAddict

Smash Rookie
Im personally psyched about the Amiibo figures regardless of their functionality. In Australia the preorder price is estimated at $30 which is ridiculous esp. if the rumoured price in the US is $10 - $15. At that price i probably wouldnt but any at all but may get overseas instead if shipping was cheap. Do you think the chip inside the Amiibo would be region locked?

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I am telling myself that I will only get my favorite characters, but it will be tough. I want to main Villager, Mario is my most consistant character across Smash games, Pit is my favorite Nintendo character, Marth's character model is amazing, Captain Falcon to me is synonymous with Smash, my girlfriend loves Kirby, Pacman and Megaman are classic, etc. There's very few characters I wouldn't have a specific reason to get, and so I could be shelling out quite a bit of cash.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame they can't be priced like the pokemon rumble blind pick figurines($4 each) it would have been nice.

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I'm not too concerned with how much I will spend on the actual Amiibos. I'm more worried about how much I will lose on the inevitable drunken betting on Amiibo battles that will be taking place.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
I really just want to get Amiibos just for the characters I will likely be using often... which is everyone in my signature right now.
... This is bad for my poor wallet.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has been dying for Smash Figurines for ages, I'm totally buying them, probably for events like Christmas and Birthdays.

Amiibos of the Fire Emblem reps are a must, as are Sheik and Falco.
If they do Assist Trophies, sign me up for Lyn and Saki.
Pokeball Pokémon? Eevee obviously.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
They sound cool but I know they're going to be ridiculously expensive in Mexico; as a broke college student I'll just probably go to the store and stare at them longingly :,(

JaredHaj

Smash Rookie
NNID
JaredHaj
I already collect figurines so this is a dream come true. I genuinely want to collect them all, but $15 a pop is a pretty big sum of money. Looks like I have my birthday and Christmas gifts planned out for the next 10 years.

Top Bottom