• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one with button delay online -- both with friends and with anyone?

pijama

Smash Rookie
I have a noticable .5 second delay on all movements and attacks. (YES TAUNTS TOO HE HE)
Am I the only one experiencing this? My Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is showing a full green meter on signal receival and I don't even run anything on the background when I play Brawl online (13 processes). My Connector and my Wii are barely a foot apart.
If others have this, does anyone have solutions/troubleshooting steps?

Fox_Makenshi

Smash Rookie
I notice this too (mainly on the first match I do). Maybe I just get used to it and don't notice it after the first match but yeah I have this happen as well.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

loik

Smash Rookie
no i get it too, im starting to think its programmed into the game, due to the fact one wii is hosting a different wii, its a 'ballance' thing

pijama

Smash Rookie
No, I don't think so. Friends I have say they experienced little to no delay (maybe they just don't notice?).

Shapechanger

Smash Apprentice
It's happen to me every single game, Anyone or Friends. I've played over 30 friends games now, and it's always a little better, or a little worse, and sometimes very bad, but it's always there.

Edit: Those friend matches have been with over 10 different people now, so no, it's not just my friend's connection.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
it's most likely always going to be there, just get used to it

it's really not that big of a deal especially with the move buffering thing they have going

pijama

Smash Rookie
I hope not.. I heard rumors of "flawless" and "almost perfect" online play.

Coolbgdog

Smash Rookie
same here. didn't sakurai say that the development team SLAVED over the online play for a seemless gameplay experience? this button delay is pissing me off.
yea its annoying. I just played a couple of people on my list and someone on here and it was laggy. Im thinking of getting the lan adapter but I dont' want to waste my money.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Friend play is perfect for me, a always get very little/no lag at all. :confused: It could just be you or your friend's connection.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
First match i played lag was so bad i lost because i couldnt control pk thunder properly. The lag is a little more bareable with Marth, but it's still crappy nonetheless.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Yes, I get it too and it's absolutely terrible. I'm losing matches left and right because I can't time my attacks right or block appropriately. It better be a minor thing fixed quickly or I'm going to have one less method of practicing for tournaments.

BentoBox

Smash Master
@NF: So for you playing online is the very same as playing against someone who came over at your place? ._.

I get that 0.5 delay too, though I've gotten used to it. Even against green dotted people, the delay is always there. And its sad because I can't really work on my powershielding :[

Gindler

Smash Champion
Apparently the servers are just swamped, so if you try playing late at night that might work. And apparently they're working on getting more servers that was lag will be non existant or at least very little.

pijama

Smash Rookie
@NF: So for you playing online is the very same as playing against someone who came over at your place? ._.
If so, I'm beyond jealous. It's hard for me to get used to this delay on buttons -- I can't time my reflector on Wolf or any combos, really. Sometimes I can pull them off, but it's still annoying. After playing so much Melee on LAN and at tournaments, it's just a hard thing to get used to. Hopefully the previous post was correct on more servers and a more stabalized connection.

pijama

Smash Rookie
I'll try to keep bumping this.. I'd like to see how many people are experiencing this (if everybody) and if there's a workaround known to anybody. All this talk of "delay being programmed in" sounds like bull**** to me.

worm

Smash Cadet
The lag when I play online (Anyone or Friends) is so bad that I'm not having fun. It's a waste of time.

My friend played during the middle of the day (middle of the workday/schoolday) and he said he played 2 matches With Anyone and they were completely flawless. So maybe it just has to do with the servers being too crowded.

HeresyProgram

Smash Rookie
I have it, too. I think a .5 delay is what I would call the *best* that I got. Nothing close to realtime. I was also thinking about the LAN adapter, but I put NiGHTS in and played 10 matches, all lag free.

I think I'll wait until the Brawl frenzy dies down before buying anything.

PurpleLink

Smash Rookie
im not sure, but i think once wifi's traffic clears up, so will the input lag.

Edit: actually this makes more sense, so i see no reason why it couldn't be the case.

Wingless Abaddon

Smash Rookie
If so, I'm beyond jealous. It's hard for me to get used to this delay on buttons -- I can't time my reflector on Wolf or any combos, really. Sometimes I can pull them off, but it's still annoying. After playing so much Melee on LAN and at tournaments, it's just a hard thing to get used to. Hopefully the previous post was correct on more servers and a more stabalized connection.

I am right with you, buddy. I lost three matches to a Sonic because I couldn't get the hang of that stupid delay. I couldn't time my reflect for Wolf in my last match or anything. All my timing was off. Couldn't hit Falcon's Knee worth a lick either. The button delay needs to Gooooooo.

On a more on-topic note, I only really experience the delay in friend play. It's weird. There's almost no delay for me against Anyone, but against Friends. Ridiculous.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I always have the delay whenever I play online. It takes some adjusting for me to get used to it.

RyzzL

Smash Rookie
I have a slight delay in attacks as well, i find the only person i can play well like this is ike, trying to time faster character attacks can be a pain

Geop

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I thought that Nintendo's servers only applied to With Anyone.

But let's think about this for a second, guys. IGN said their game was completely lagless. Wouldn't be safe to assume that IGN has like Fiber Optic Internet or some *** like that?

So, let's not blame nintendo and instead blame our lack of a good internet service. kthxbai

Wingless Abaddon

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I thought that Nintendo's servers only applied to With Anyone.

But let's think about this for a second, guys. IGN said their game was completely lagless. Wouldn't be safe to assume that IGN has like Fiber Optic Internet or some *** like that?

So, let's not blame nintendo and instead blame our lack of a good internet service. kthxbai

lol i c wut u did thar

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I am Blizzard138 and I approve of this message.

How'd you get the little bowser head under your avatar:laugh::

ArmstrongHouston

Smash Rookie
Or maybe its because youre using wireless connections. Theres going to be a delay because the connector cant send AND recieve information at the same time like a wired direct connection does. A suggestion of change would be appropriate here, but I wouldnt want to lose that advantage :D

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I am Blizzard138 and I approve of this message.

no i get it too, im starting to think its programmed into the game, due to the fact one wii is hosting a different wii, its a 'ballance' thing
I think that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard... lag programmed into a game? LOL

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I have the Wii adapter connector thing and have experienced pretty bad lag. I've only played against one person though through the 'with friends' options. I have yet to be able to connect to the 'with anyone' option yet. The person I played against though appeared to have a bad connection seeing how he had a red dot next to his name on my friend list. Also, I have no idea where he lives and distance could possibly affect that as well. I'm hopefully to meet more people on the eastcoast (USA) to play with that hopefully have better connections and hopefully the matches will not have much lag at all. It would be a shame if this game couldn't be played online lag-free

DarkBridge

Smash Rookie
People, you are playing an online game. All online games suffer from latency due to the way servers and systems talk to each other over the internet.
Every time a signal is sent over the internet, it has to travel through multiple points to get to its destination, and it will almost always take a noticeable time to get there.
While it's certainly possible that people using the same ISP or in the same general area might experience near-lagless games, latency is always there.

Button/input lag is normal for online Brawl matches. That is why playing in the same room is always going to be the more effective and preferred option for competitive play.

There can be steps to reduce latency, but you will almost never be able to eliminate it completely if you're playing over the internet.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I was playing with a friend of mine in VA while I'm sitting in IL and there were times when it would run just fine, and there were times where we would get the delay. It usually started like that in the beginning of a match, then it would clear up as we played.

Some people are talking about flawless connection with the Wi-Fi, but you have to keep in mind that at that time the only people outside of Japan that got the game were the people that would get it imported. Now the servers have to deal with more people connecting from a lot more places.

spyk90

Smash Cadet
I get the same problems too.

In my opinion, I think this lag problem is on Nintendo. I have my Xbox360 connected via Wireless adapter and I play perfectly fine on Xbox live. Same goes for my Laptop that is connected through wireless.

pijama

Smash Rookie
I play everything perfectly fine except Brawl. There's nothing wrong with my ISP.

worm

Smash Cadet
Nintendo better fix this widespread problem or take the little blue icon that says "WiFi Connection" off the front of the game case!

Top Bottom