• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who's OK with the roster?

Smash Ace
@StarFox64ftw:there is only 2. that's what made me happy.
=2007=

Arcade

Smash Ace
At first I was disappointed, then I heard Wolf was a Luigification at which point I was less disappointed. The next day I just said "Screw it, I've got 35 #@%$ characters, what do I have to complain about?!"

To those of you who are happy with the roster, good for you. I wish I could feel good about it too, but I cant. I was expecting so much more out of this game. Sakurai said that this game would be great, and have a roster that wouldn't disappoint anyone.
Show me where he said that.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Do I like the roster? No.

Will I get over it? Eventually.

Will the game still be awesome? Yes.
Quoted for truth.

People who are all "wah I h8 teh gmae no mai chartcers!!20" should just shut up, because in a month or so they'll be playing the game just like everyone else.

twitch

Smash Rookie
It's human nature for our current day society to be unsatisfied with anything that comes out way.

I bet you scientists could discover the cure for cancer, and there would be people complaining that they did not find it soon enough.

I'm serious....
true, nice thinking! :)
i'm ok with the rooster, let say it this way... could be worser.

GreenLincoln

Smash Rookie
Im totally happy with the final roster.........in Melee we had 6 clones (Dr.Mario, Roy, Ganondorf, Young Link, Pichu and Falco) and 19 original characters.....Dr, Roy and Pichu were SOOOO cloney they have been removed.....which is perfect. The other 3 are so popular (in the smash comunity) that they were
kept for Brawl........

Now we have just 5 POSSIBLE CLONES (Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Wolf and Lucas)....so lets forget about first 3 that they may be clones but EVERYBODY love them........Lucas has different moveset than Ness.............Wolf......i dont know............................and i dont care................

What its important is that we now have 30...........i mean 30 original figthers, not 19 but 30. And PT is like 3 in 1.......SO...........Im very happy.................Thanks Sakurai!!! U did a great job!!!

GreenLincoln

Smash Rookie
I Am Very Happy

Im totally happy with the final roster.........in Melee we had 6 clones (Dr.Mario, Roy, Ganondorf, Young Link, Pichu and Falco) and 19 original characters.....Dr, Roy and Pichu were SOOOO cloney they have been removed.....which is perfect. The other 3 are so popular (in the smash comunity) that they were
kept for Brawl........

Now we have just 5 POSSIBLE CLONES (Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Wolf and Lucas)....so lets forget about first 3 that they may be clones but EVERYBODY love them........Lucas has different moveset than Ness.............Wolf......i dont know............................and i dont care................

What its important is that we now have 30...........i mean 30 original figthers, not 19 but 30. And PT is like 3 in 1.......SO...........Im very happy.................Thanks Sakurai!!! U did a great job!!!

Remco

Smash Rookie
I'm perfectly fine with the roster. The only thing pissing me of, is the release date for europe.

AlFighter27

Smash Cadet
I think the roster could have been better, but is still good, I mean, with all the original characters they are implementing, then it will definitely be alright.

J0™

Smash Apprentice
I'm really happy with the SSBB roster, chars like Diddy and Olimar kick major *ss.
The only thing I'm dissapointed about is the lack of another F-Zero char.

MysteriousSage

Smash Cadet
Initially, I hated the roster. I hated the clones. I hated the Landmaster.
But I never said anything and I got over it.
Now I love the roster and can't wait for March 9.

seshun

Smash Apprentice
I like it. Im not a whiney 5 year old ***** like most people. I hate america

Chiastic

Smash Apprentice
i think the issue wasn't the roster itself. it was the very high expectations for the number of players that was said... "an insane amount of playable characters". and 35 isn't insane at all. also there was su much info on the dojo, and too many starter characters which lead us to think the roster would be 40+.
anyways. i think the roster is great, im a bit sad megaman didnt make it. but im sure the game is awesome anyways, im going to miss some of the classic stages too (i loved brinstar depths, dream land 64 and the mushroom kingdoms). but i hope we get downloadable content, official stages, and HOPEFULLY a few new characters, not too much or else it might become a mess. im keeping my fingers crossed for this feature.
oh.. and wolf is way more awesome than krystal IMO. i was a wolf supporter.
i also was a ridley supporter, but i know he wasn't going to make it as a PC.
megaman was my true </3, but after that inafune podcast, i was ready to not see him in brawl.
i also wanted a Square Enix character (not geno), but i'm not upset at all that we didnt get one.
the other characters i really wanted in brawl made it in, Falco and Ganondorf. so i'm happy. i would've really cried if none of them would've made it into the game.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I belive the only people that get mad over the rouster is not hard core Smash players. Only people that get mad is people that want more in every game and so on. So your not the only one that think the rouster is ok. Besides, we got Ness. <3

Shuma

Smash Hero
Very Happy with the Roster, all i whanted was Wolf or Ridley and Ganondorf's TP appareance. And i got it.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'm fine with the roster. There are absolutely characters I'm disappointed didn't make it, namely Mega Man, but it's absurd to call what's there a bad roster.

What I am annoyed by though is the content recycling in the unlockables. So much effort was put into the starting roster and it feels like they just got lazy and rushed to finish up the hidden characters. The biggest letdown is that Ganondorf still shares so many moves with Captain Falcon. I don't care if he uses a sword but he deserves to be completely original, and they were way too conservative with their changes from Melee. Wolf is more differentiated from Fox than Ganondorf is from Falcon, and that's sad. I think adding two characters with movesets based on Fox(again, not clones) was overkill. Lucas should have been given original specials, borrowing at most one or two from Ness. Toon Link being clone-ish is alright, but an original special or two isn't too much to ask. And there are 4 characters without their own final smash, which is just lazy.

None of that is game-breaking by any means, and I think people are whining about it way too much, but stuff like this does make the unlockables look underwhelming after seeing the incredible starting roster. 35 characters is plenty, but they shouldn't have gotten sloppy with the unlockables.

I

i8waffles612

I am fine with it now I guess :D

Just too many clones lol

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
no i am fine with the roster.

fox, falco, and wolf are ryu, ken, and akuma/gouki. landmaster ftw.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I've been happy since the VERY FIRST E3 vid. As long as I have Kirby, I couldn't give two ****s about who else is in the game. Although, I will say that Wolf actually looks really cool and I cant wait to see how he handles.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm mostly happy with the roster; I did not realize that Lucario had such a wide following, but apparently he does, and while I'm a little sad that MewTwo isn't in the game, oh well, there's plenty of cool new characters (including possibly Lucario, though I haven't seen many gameplay videos yet). All the essential characters are in along with some fun new ones, and while I find Toon Link to be an incredibly questionable choice, on the whole it isn't a big deal.

TrePVox

Smash Cadet
I think there is nothing wrong with the roster. It's not like they downsized the roster any. It got bigger than Melee so in my mind that is great. Few minor complaints I will enjoy the game as it was made to be and I will be busy for all of March now.

firefox451

Smash Rookie
I may not love the roster, but I'm starting to see the great potential - I was upset Wolf wasn't truly a unique character (based on my definition, not yours) but knew I would play him - I mained Fox/Falco in the last game and love the Star Fox series.

But I'm starting to love ROB... after watching the SSE videos, it looks as if the ROBs are being sacrificed to blow up these bombs for the Ancient Minister. It seems you get to play as the one that broke away from the brain-washing of the Emissary. So you're the champion of your race (of robots), packed with lasers, and looking to avenge all of your lost brothers!

I can see the great potential and emotional attachment one would feel for that storyline. I mean, everyone loves robots! (Remember the movie Short Circuit? Who couldn't love Number Johnny Five?!)

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
I'm happy with the roster. Except for Ridley, I'm hard pressed to think of a truly notable Nintendo character that has been left out. Mewtwo is still a bit baffling, but the makers of the game seem to have followed a 'More than one game' rule, where a character must appear significantly in more than one game. That means no Roy, no Marth, no Doctor Mario.

Geno is another story; if you thought Geno was going to be in the game, you're delusional. He's owned by Square-enix, which is partially owned by Sony, not to mention he was a minor character in a single game.

EDIT: Oh, and the clones are less clone-like, which is even better. When a character has a completely new set of A moves and functionally different B-moves, they aren't a clone. (Ness and Wolf, namely).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I am not satisfied with 3 landmasters, I think there should be more.
+1

Honestly, if we're not all fighting in Landmasters in Super Smash Bros. Fisticuffs, I don't think it'll be a very good game. Even Brawl is lacking in Landmasters.

thegreatace

Smash Cadet
hoenstly I really liked the roster, I did'nt like the idea of R.O.B being a PC, but what can I do, I hope he plays like an ***, so I can piss people pff with him, other then that, Samus is obviously still in so I really, dont mind.

I was hoping for Simon Belmont though... he really should have been made into the game. he had everything going for him too, konami, a whip, vampire killing...

I just wanna play it now though... :<

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
hoenstly I really liked the roster, I did'nt like the idea of R.O.B being a PC, but what can I do, I hope he plays like an ***, so I can piss people pff with him, other then that, Samus is obviously still in so I really, dont mind.

I was hoping for Simon Belmont though... he really should have been made into the game. he had everything going for him too, konami, a whip, vampire killing...

I just wanna play it now though... :<
Simon really isn't that significant of a character anymore. Alucard has been in... twice as many games as him? Many other Castlevania characters have been in more (recent) games and have better character development. Yeah, Simon was in the first made games, but aside from that, nothing makes him special.

Top Bottom