• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one that likes Roy better than Marth in Melee?

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
I really can't be the only one that thinks this, I don't know why I do, I guess I have sort of a soft spot for him due to all the hate he usually gets. I just always found him better, in fact a lot of clones in Melee I always played with more than the actual characters they're based from (except Pichu). Hopefully I'm not the only one that thinks this.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Thing about Roy is that he doesn't have the viability Marth does. Trying to play Roy at a high level isn't necessarily practical with the metagame being as stagnant developed as it is. We've gotten to a point now where if something can be beaten, 9 times out of 10 it will. Doubt it has anything to do with people not liking the character. It is of course possible that someone come around and do to Roy what aMSa did to Yoshi, but it's really unlikely.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Thing about Roy is that he doesn't have the viability Marth does. Trying to play Roy at a high level isn't necessarily practical with the metagame being as stagnant developed as it is. We've gotten to a point now where if something can be beaten, 9 times out of 10 it will. Doubt it has anything to do with people not liking the character. It is of course possible that someone come around and do to Roy what aMSa did to Yoshi, but it's really unlikely.
What about other clones in general? Like Dr.Mario I always thought was a lot better than Mario, even in SSB4, Young Link and Toon Link have always been better to me,etc. The only exceptions are Lucina and Pichu.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
What about other clones in general? Like Dr.Mario I always thought was a lot better than Mario, even in SSB4, Young Link and Toon Link have always been better to me,etc. The only exceptions are Lucina and Pichu.
For the most part whether or not you play a clone is a matter of preference. They're great if you like a character's moveset but not their playstyle. For example, some people like Mario's moveset but want some more power behind their hits. Dr. Mario fits that perfectly. Same deal with Roy, Ganon, Lucina, Tink, etc. There are cases where some clones are considered objectively better/worse than their original counterparts, but for the most part it boils down to preference.

Last edited:
Roy has TH3 F1R3

You're really not the only one. There are a few players out there who like him as a low tier or even started out with him

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yeah, I have a Roy secondary and am MUCH better with Roy than Marth (other than the Sheik MU because that's absolutely horrible for Roy).

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I give people the maximum disrespect, give em a taste of my Roy AND Kirby

///////////////////

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Dr.Mario I always thought was a lot better than Mario
He is, generally speaking. He lacks that street style Mario has though.

As for Young Link vs. Link, Link kills easier and has better survivability. Young Link is more mobile though, which counts for a lot seeing as how Link is very sluggish and pretty slow. I've seen a lot of arguments for which of the two is actually more viable. I think Young Link has more relevant specific match ups for tournament (YL/Puff for one), but Link is just a better overall character.

You're not the only one who likes Roy more than Marth by a longshot though. But Roy is not nearly as viable competitively.

EDIT: I don't think Doc is objectively better than Mario. Mario feels a bit quicker, and his jab combo is much faster. Plus his cape recovery is much better. It's not enough to make up for Doc's strengths overall, but it's enough to not count him out. I play both. Mario is just #thecoolest but sometimes in tournament you need the Medicine Man.

Last edited:

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
obviously i find them to be more fun in solo mode so i do like a lot of low or bottom tiers more than the s tier

D

Deleted member

I prefer the way Roy moves around compared to Marth but Marth is better nonetheless so I main him. I play Roy a lot in friendlies because he just feels very fun to play.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really can't be the only one that thinks this, I don't know why I do, I guess I have sort of a soft spot for him due to all the hate he usually gets. I just always found him better, in fact a lot of clones in Melee I always played with more than the actual characters they're based from (except Pichu). Hopefully I'm not the only one that thinks this.
Sorry man, but it's too late to like a character based on how their moveset feels to you at this point in Melee's life. :troll::troll::troll:

Last edited:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I like Roy better as a character because I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, but in Melee there's no way to get around him being a trash character. If Roy had Marth's move properties, I would absolutely main Roy because I love him. I play Roy in P:M.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I like Roy better as a character because I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, but in Melee there's no way to get around him being a trash character. If Roy had Marth's move properties, I would absolutely main Roy because I love him. I play Roy in P:M.
There's always Melee SD Remix...

Also, how could you like Roy as a character? He's one of the blandest Lords in the series and he doesn't even have the excuse of being part of the NES days.

Last edited:

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
i like low tiers a lot more than high tiers generally with a few exceptions i've started getting good with melee's fox and even olimar as a result both went from low to mid tiers

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Nope, Sethlon plays him and aMSa thinks he has potential. M2K sometimes uses him in pools. :b:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Nope, Sethlon plays him and aMSa thinks he has potential. M2K sometimes uses him in pools. :b:
Unfortunately Sethlon doesn't touch Roy in Melee anymore since PM Roy is much more viable. Seems Pyro is one of the last active SSBM Roy's, Ripple rarely plays him (he had the fastest Roy), PewPewU is the latest to use him in bracket. Vectorman and Vist use him occasionally too. We still haven't seen a great player main the character like AmSa with Yoshi (and we may never), but those kinds of smashers are very far and few between especially for low tier characters.

imo M2K's Roy is very sloppy and unpracticed, but it's M2K so his reaction time and instincts make up for it usually.

Still think Neo had the best understanding of the character and his limits, but it's been so long since we've seen him.

Last edited:

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Oh there's plenty of people who like Roy more than Marth, after all, Roy IS our boy.

However due to how limited Roy's options are, in order to win with Roy a player has to either be considerably better than their opponent, or rely on the fact that most people don't know the match-up.

This means that not many people actually play Roy seriously in competitive play and those that do are at a serious disadvantage, most of the time i see Roy played is in friendlies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just wondering, (since it's wayyy too late to like low tier characters in Melee at this point) would this be the proper way to balance Roy in a hypothetical more balanced Melee?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Just wondering, (since it's wayyy too late to like low tier characters in Melee at this point) would this be the proper way to balance Roy in a hypothetical more balanced Melee?

Yes basically just give him the aerial power that Marth has, and make his jab not garbage. To offset his bad fall speed give him Samus's weight so he can't get comboed so easily.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
He is, generally speaking. He lacks that street style Mario has though.

As for Young Link vs. Link, Link kills easier and has better survivability. Young Link is more mobile though, which counts for a lot seeing as how Link is very sluggish and pretty slow. I've seen a lot of arguments for which of the two is actually more viable. I think Young Link has more relevant specific match ups for tournament (YL/Puff for one), but Link is just a better overall character.

You're not the only one who likes Roy more than Marth by a longshot though. But Roy is not nearly as viable competitively.

EDIT: I don't think Doc is objectively better than Mario. Mario feels a bit quicker, and his jab combo is much faster. Plus his cape recovery is much better. It's not enough to make up for Doc's strengths overall, but it's enough to not count him out. I play both. Mario is just #thecoolest but sometimes in tournament you need the Medicine Man.
But in Melee Mario isn't faster. Same dashing speed, falling speed, and traction while having a lower air speed. Mario's biggest advantage is that his f-smash is disjointed, has more range, and can be comboed into fairly easily.

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
I like Roy but Marth's tipper is really satisfying and fun to land. He's also a bit more graceful.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
But in Melee Mario isn't faster. Same dashing speed, falling speed, and traction while having a lower air speed. Mario's biggest advantage is that his f-smash is disjointed, has more range, and can be comboed into fairly easily.
I said he feels a bit quicker. What you said is true, but I mean in terms of combo ability plus his jab speed and the fact that his nair is strongest at the start where Doc's gets stronger the longer it's out, it feels like it lends itself to a faster style of gameplay. Plus his cape lifts, where Doc's stalls, so he can get back to the stage easier depending on the circumstances. And he has a wall jump, which Doc does not. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it's another option. His movement speed is exactly the same, you're right. Mario is not actually faster in terms of movement, but he feels quicker in terms of play style. At least he does for me. I should've clarified though.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I'm of the opinion Doc's F-smash is actually better in competitive play.

Mario's has a lot more range and is much more useful for hard reads, but Doc's has reliable set ups. On up throws and down throws Doc's Fsmash can be a guaranteed KO and it's stronger, for Mario they have to DI very specifically and most of the time they still get hit by the sour spot leading to nothing.

I still like Mario better though, and he does feel faster. Probably attributed to most of his moves being a bit faster and having less land lag.

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I'm of the opinion Doc's F-smash is actually better in competitive play.

Mario's has a lot more range and is much more useful for hard reads, but Doc's has reliable set ups. On up throws and down throws Doc's Fsmash can be a guaranteed KO and it's stronger, for Mario they have to DI very specifically and most of the time they still get hit by the sour spot leading to nothing.

I still like Mario better though, and he does feel faster. Probably attributed to most of his moves being a bit faster and having less land lag.
Tbh, Doc as a whole is just better for competitive play, but he's not nearly as fun to play imo. He's like a less fun, more viable Mario. He's alright, but I'd choose Mario over him any day.

Joninja

Smash Rookie
I feel the same way. For some reason, I love the way Roy plays over Marth. I tried maining Roy for awhile, but I gave up sadly. I really didn't want to, but Marth is just better. Bottom line.

Roy will always have a spot in my heart and I'm REALLY hoping the Roy/Ryu "leak" is true.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
I feel the same way. For some reason, I love the way Roy plays over Marth. I tried maining Roy for awhile, but I gave up sadly. I really didn't want to, but Marth is just better. Bottom line.

Roy will always have a spot in my heart and I'm REALLY hoping the Roy/Ryu "leak" is true.
It's been found by The Cutting Room Floor.

Joninja

Smash Rookie
It's been found by The Cutting Room Floor.
So we're getting Roy in Smash 4?!

ROY'S OUR BOY. LET'S GO.

I'm freaking out. They're probably going to release the trailer at that Fire Emblem concert/thing? That'd be the perfect time and it's right after Lucas' release.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Roy is the reason (part of it) why I still play melee. I don't know why, but... just leave it at that.

Top Bottom