• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I still called a "beginner"

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
So I've played Melee at friends and at tournaments but never owned a copy of Melee but next week I'm getting a copy to practice everything I learned l canceling wavedash etc.I already know how to do all of that

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
you are still called a beginner.
Even if I know how to l cancle wavedash etc and played the game before because you just saying I'm still a beginner means nothing to be honest

Massive

Smash Champion
There are people who have been playing this game since 2001.

From our perspective, you are definitely a beginner. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Everybody's got to start somewhere, and you will get a lot better, faster if you don't let your ego get in the way.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
There are people who have been playing this game since 2001.

From our perspective, you are definitely a beginner. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Everybody's got to start somewhere, and you will get a lot better, faster if you don't let your ego get in the way.
Thx for a great response but ive been playing these game since 2003 fyi

Massive

Smash Champion
If you have been playing at a competitive level (tournaments, not just with your friends) since 2003, even off-and-on, you are not a beginner.

If you were not a beginner, you would know. You wouldn't be asking smashboards for validation.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Even if I know how to l cancle wavedash etc and played the game before because you just saying I'm still a beginner means nothing to be honest
Being a beginner isn't what's important. Thing about competitive mediums is that you'll never reach an actual end to potential improvement, even when you're among the best. If you're thinking about "Beginner" in this way - that a player has much more to learn, basics or not, then I can assure you that nobody really outgrows that stage lol.

If you're using it as a means of ranking players in a hierarchy, stop. Your tech isn't what make you good, and definitely doesn't put you in a better/worse category of players, whether you consider yourself or others beginners. Results are what tell who's playing better on a given day or in general, and that's all temporary. It can be good for upping the competition if that's what motivates you, but don't let yourself get caught up on the minor things like who's better than who at this moment too seriously. An ego boost from winning or downer from losing after trash talking them isn't gonna help you the next time you play - the practice and focus on improvement will.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
If you have been playing at a competitive level (tournaments, not just with your friends) since 2003, even off-and-on, you are not a beginner.

If you were not a beginner, you would know. You wouldn't be asking smashboards for validation.
Im asking since I never had a copy but yes I've been off and on so I gess I'm a beginner since im rusty at the game

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
If you're talking purely in terms of time spent playing the game, then if you've been playing since 2003 you're obviously not a "beginner" (assuming you've put in a reasonably large number of hours in that time). In terms of skill level the time you started playing doesn't necessarily mean much. You're a beginner in terms of skill level, by competitive standards.

Casual Melee is pretty much entirely distinct from competitive Melee; they might as well be two different games. They're played very differently, and there's not much in the way of transferable skills from casual to competitive play outside of having a rudimentary idea of what the controls are and what some moves do. Because of this, there are many players (myself included, and I assume you too) who put in hundreds of hours of casual play including thousands of multiplayer games before they started playing competitively, and yet were no better than any other day 1 scrub when they did.

In casual Melee knowing some advanced techs might make you an "advanced" player, but in competitive Melee wavedashing and L-cancelling are basic techskill that everyone is expected to know (or be in the process of learning if they're new). Think of advanced techniques in the context of competitive Melee as being equivalent to the basic execution (rolling, C-stick smash attacks, jumping, etc.) in the context of casual Melee; you need them to be able to play properly, but they certainly don't make you a good player on their own.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Thx fo
If you're talking purely in terms of time spent playing the game, then if you've been playing since 2003 you're obviously not a "beginner" (assuming you've put in a reasonably large number of hours in that time). In terms of skill level the time you started playing doesn't necessarily mean much. You're a beginner in terms of skill level, by competitive standards.

Casual Melee is pretty much entirely distinct from competitive Melee; they might as well be two different games. They're played very differently, and there's not much in the way of transferable skills from casual to competitive play outside of having a rudimentary idea of what the controls are and what some moves do. Because of this, there are many players (myself included, and I assume you too) who put in hundreds of hours of casual play including thousands of multiplayer games before they started playing competitively, and yet were no better than any other day 1 scrub when they did.

In casual Melee knowing some advanced techs might make you an "advanced" player, but in competitive Melee wavedashing and L-cancelling are basic techskill that everyone is expected to know (or be in the process of learning if they're new). Think of advanced techniques in the context of competitive Melee as being equivalent to the basic execution (rolling, C-stick smash attacks, jumping, etc.) in the context of casual Melee; you need them to be able to play properly, but they certainly don't make you a good player on their own.
Thx for the great response

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lmao you're more OG than me, I started in 05, just before/amidst the OMG KEN era.

2001 is so OG you were there for "items or no items gaiz?" lmao

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I first played Melee in 2003, didn't get my own copy until 2005, but I rented it a lot before then. Since I didn't start playing competitively since about a year ago, I would still call myself a beginner.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I first played Melee in 2003, didn't get my own copy until 2005, but I rented it a lot before then. Since I didn't start playing competitively since about a year ago, I would still call myself a beginner.
Understandable but I did play competivily if its what your asking

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
I placed top 8 at a tournament with around 80 people here in New England. I am still a beginner
Not trying to brag, just trying to set an example of how even when you get better you are still in that beginner range. Honestly, that helps me strive to get better though. I must get out of this "beginner" ranking. Anyways best of luck to you.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I placed top 8 at a tournament with around 80 people here in New England. I am still a beginner
Not trying to brag, just trying to set an example of how even when you get better you are still in that beginner range. Honestly, that helps me strive to get better though. I must get out of this "beginner" ranking. Anyways best of luck to you.
Thx for letting me know I just went to a local tournament in Germany with about the same amount as you and got second(Trying to pick up my tournament time)

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why it seems like everyone here is afraid of being called a beginner.

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
Thx for letting me know I just went to a local tournament in Germany with about the same amount as you and got second(Trying to pick up my tournament time)
Link to bracket? Want to know if you're a truthful person ;D. Many people on here are liars so I'm guessing you understand haha. Also want to check out who you beat.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's weird, I'm not afraid to say I'm a beginner but I definitely want to ascend past being one though.
I would love to ascend as well. I have been playing melee competitively for almost a year now, but I just recently switched my main from Jigglypuff to Peach, so it's like I'm a brand new player all over again, except know I know what tech skill is. I'm not afraid to say I'm a beginner. I've never won a tournament.

I did take a game off of Sago, though! And I almost won a Puff ditto with the best Puff in Wisconsin, the same guy who wrote the Puff "Bible" that Hbox said is the best guide for Puff ever.

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
I would love to ascend as well. I have been playing melee competitively for almost a year now, but I just recently switched my main from Jigglypuff to Peach, so it's like I'm a brand new player all over again, except know I know what tech skill is. I'm not afraid to say I'm a beginner. I've never won a tournament.

I did take a game off of Sago, though! And I almost won a Puff ditto with the best Puff in Wisconsin, the same guy who wrote the Puff "Bible" that Hbox said is the best guide for Puff ever.
Nice man! I'm currently trying to switch to Fox, but I'm sticking with Puff in tourney until this Summer so I can make sure I'm ready.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Nice man! I'm currently trying to switch to Fox, but I'm sticking with Puff in tourney until this Summer so I can make sure I'm ready.
I tried Fox but he made my hands hurt D:

After playing Puff for a year, I find her to be boring and stale. There's just not enough variety. Peach is just my speed, and style.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Link to bracket? Want to know if you're a truthful person ;D. Many people on here are liars so I'm guessing you understand haha. Also want to check out who you beat.
Bro wheres your link first of all and give it a few days to get on yt

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
How does one get on that site?
You have to place in bracket at a Global, National, SoCal Local/Monthly, New England Local/Monthly, or NC Local/Monthly as of now. The only reason it's like this right now is because it's hard to manage

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
You have to place in bracket at a Global, National, SoCal Local/Monthly, New England Local/Monthly, or NC Local/Monthly as of now. The only reason it's like this right now is because it's hard to manage
Bummer. Nothing in the Midwest.

The Midwest really gets the shaft when it comes to Smash.

Top Bottom