• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I Missing Something?

Pythagoras

Smash Rookie
HI! As you may (not) know, my name is Pythagoras and I've invested a lot of time into this game, or so i think. I've only been playing for a short while and i feel like i should be farther along in the meta than i am. I feel like i am missing something. I know how to wavedash, but not /when/ to, i know some combos but cant seem to pull them off in normal play. i choke all the time, even in friendlies, and i usually go 0-2;0-2 in tournaments.

Maybe the wonderful Smashboards Community has some tips for a newbie player?

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
If you want to advance further in the Melee meta game, you have to learn a LOT of character specific lag canceling techniques. What's your main?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
HI! As you may (not) know, my name is Pythagoras and I've invested a lot of time into this game, or so i think. I've only been playing for a short while and i feel like i should be farther along in the meta than i am. I feel like i am missing something. I know how to wavedash, but not /when/ to, i know some combos but cant seem to pull them off in normal play. i choke all the time, even in friendlies, and i usually go 0-2;0-2 in tournaments.
Hey there, moved your thread to Melee discussion as it seemed this was the game you were referring to. While there is little information which we can work with, I can possibly infer that you may be having trouble with what is known as the neutral game.

SSBM Tutorials (What is the neutral game?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPC202uwR4

This is a great channel / resource to learn about Melee.

Additionally, the Question and Answer Thread in the Melee Discussion board can help a lot as well:
https://smashboards.com/threads/official-faq-and-qna-thread-ask-your-questions-here.230020/

Last edited:

Pythagoras

Smash Rookie
Hey there, moved your thread to Melee discussion as it seemed this was the game you were referring to. While there is little information which we can work with, I can possibly infer that you may be having trouble with what is known as the neutral game.

SSBM Tutorials (What is the neutral game?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPC202uwR4

This is a great channel / resource to learn about Melee.

Additionally, the Question and Answer Thread in the Melee Discussion board can help a lot as well:
https://smashboards.com/threads/official-faq-and-qna-thread-ask-your-questions-here.230020/
Thank you! [and sorry about the wrong thread. I'm new here x~x]

If you want to advance further in the Melee meta game, you have to learn a LOT of character specific lag canceling techniques. What's your main?
My main is Dr. Mario. I know he is a bit low tier but i have fun with him!

Last edited by a moderator:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I actually main Luigi, and I can vouch for the "main doesn't matter" argument. I'm pretty decent with Luigi, and have consistently beaten falco and fox mains. I recommend integrating dashdance approaches and shffl aerials into your play style. With characters like Doc, strong neutral game is key. You also want to integrate strong reads and punishes into you gameplay. If your opponent doesn't tech, punish with f-smash or f-air. And by the way, I sandbag to game and watch. He is absolute trash, but landing his f-smash is one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.

Last edited:

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
I use to have the same problem as you, but I eventually started landing my combos correctly.

:?:

DI might be the reason you drop your combos, make sure to follow DI and react accordingly. Or you might need to build muscle memory of the execution of your combos.

:starman:

Top Bottom