• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I experiencing phantom lag or have latency standards just skyrocketed overnight?

SM980

Smash Rookie
Hi, sort'a a newbie here but I figured that Smashboards might be a little more friendly when discussing For Glory than the reddit would be. So let me just spill out this... phenomenon I've been experiencing.

I've been through a lot of lag online before. The kind where your inputs take two seconds to happen but the game runs smoothly, the kind where you're basically playing the game in 30fps, the kind where it will stop for 2 minutes straight before running perfectly for one minute before stopping again, and of course the dreaded matches where the time limit doesn't matter; the round lasts 25 minutes because of its choppiness.

The problem? I'm not lagging, but apparently my opponents are.
Every single source I've looked at has told me that lag is shared between the players. If I'm having input delay, so is the opponent. If I'm having a choppy game, so are they. If my game pauses, so does theirs.

But I've run into this problem JUST now.

The game online will run anywhere from perfect-acceptable. I accept that it's online play and there might be a teensy bit of input delay, or maybe a frame drops or something, but I've been in situations FAR, FAAAAR worse for me to call a half-a-second-pause at the start of the match worth quitting for.

My game is running smoothly, almost perfect. The other player? SD's a minute into the match and says "FIX UR LAG IDIOT" and I'm just thinking that maybe they were salty over a botched recovery.
Then another person comes in, and SD's without any provocation. Again, "LAGGER"

Perhaps it was simply a coincidence? I shut off my Wii-U and decide to call it a night.

So far today, I've had 6 people leave because of this lag that I'm not experiencing. It's pretty obvious they want to leave since we haven't even really gotten anywhere in the match and they SD. And HALF of those people put in the effort to make a "UR LAGGER" tag, so the lag MUST be pretty intense. Meanwhile, I'm either not feeling anything extreme or I'm having near FLAWLESS gameplay.

So I guess my question is: am I in some sort of twilight zone where I'm not having ANY lag but the opponent is? Or has the community just agreed that if we're not exactly 1:1 the game's unplayable?

Top Bottom