• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I doing this right?

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
Hey Yoshi's. For a little while now I've been trying to practice parrying, and I feel I'm not making any progress. I have a gif here of what I do to practice. I included the hitboxes to show you my inputs, all I'm doing is attempting to parry > jump.

Like am I doing the parry too early? Is there any way I can get the timing down for it..? Or should I just continue to practice until I get it down?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The GIF is helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be 60fps so I can't be 100% sure that I'm right about what I wrote below.

In most of these, you're parrying too early. Your shield is coming out before the punch hitbox comes out. The exceptions are the ones where you got hit (you were too late). The time that you got a powershield, you were very close (but still early). On the 4th Falcon Punch in that GIF, you did enter your jumpsquat, but I can't tell if you parried beforehand. If you did, you were very early.

It seems like you're trying to parry, then check to see if you were successful, then jump. Or you're worrying too much about making sure that your jump comes after you block the attack.
- Think of parry > jump as one action; there isn't enough time for you to confirm that you got the parry, since you only have at most 5 frames before the window to jump is gone.
- Make sure that you're not letting go of L or R before jumping.
- Try to time the parry so that you're hitting L or R right when the punch hitbox comes out, not before it comes out.
- If you're not trigger tricking your controller, you should. Hold L or R (whichever you use to parry) fully as you're plugging in your controller, or do it while resetting your controller with X+Y+Start. You won't be able to light shield with that button, but it will make parrying (and specifically jumping after a parry) easier.
- If you're using the 20XX hack pack loaded with Nintendon't, trigger tricking might not work. I have heard of a setting with Nintendon't that will allow it to work like normal, but I don't know how to do it. Dios Mios works fine.
- Remember that parrying is very difficult. Once you get it, it will be as natural as the rest of your tech skill.

Don't give up!

Last edited:

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
The GIF is helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be 60fps so I can't be 100% sure that I'm right about what I wrote below.

In most of these, you're parrying too early. Your shield is coming out before the punch hitbox comes out. The exceptions are the ones where you got hit (you were too late). The time that you got a powershield, you were very close (but still early). On the 4th Falcon Punch in that GIF, you did enter your jumpsquat, but I can't tell if you parried beforehand. If you did, you were very early.

It seems like you're trying to parry, then check to see if you were successful, then jump. Or you're worrying too much about making sure that your jump comes after you block the attack.
- Think of parry > jump as one action; there isn't enough time for you to confirm that you got the parry, since you only have at most 5 frames before the window to jump is gone.
- Make sure that you're not letting go of L or R before jumping.
- Try to time the parry so that you're hitting L or R right when the punch hitbox comes out, not before it comes out.
- If you're not trigger tricking your controller, you should. Hold L or R (whichever you use to parry) fully as you're plugging in your controller, or do it while resetting your controller with X+Y+Start. You won't be able to light shield with that button, but it will make parrying (and specifically jumping after a parry) easier.
- If you're using the 20XX hack pack loaded with Nintendon't, trigger tricking might not work. I have heard of a setting with Nintendon't that will allow it to work like normal, but I don't know how to do it. Dios Mios works fine.
- Remember that parrying is very difficult. Once you get it, it will be as natural as the rest of your tech skill.

Don't give up!
Yeah I apologize for the laggy footage. I'm actually unsure what to record with. Do you have any suggestions so maybe in the future (or later on today) I can post a more higher FPS version for you to see?

I also didn't know you should be holding L or R after doing an action (such as jumping). This is really helpful, thank you! :)

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
It depends on a lot of things, but having a good capture card (ex. Avermedia or Elgato) helps. It could also just be due to the software or website you used to make the GIF. A lot of online GIF makers cut corners since GIFs tend to be low quality anyway. If you can, use gfycat, it's much better. Or you can make the GIFs yourself.

Top Bottom