• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Always look back : Mario's recovery tips

momo1478

Smash Rookie
We've all seen mario's recovery at it's best: it's usually just a combination of his cape, his tornado, and his up special in conjunction with a cleverly timed jump; the problem is it is so. damn. predictable. There has to be another way to recover safely and get that horizontal distance mario ever so craves.

Look away from where your recovering.

It sounds counter intuitive at first glance but there's many things you can do (better) while facing backwards. But first you must learn how to face backwards in the air, a simple cape in the other way you're facing you should do the trick.

Benefits to looking back (while recovering)
1. Caping will propel you toward the edge of the stage and will conserve more momentum in your jump.
2. Jumping backwards makes an Olympic gymnast, he will start to flip wildly. While flipping backwards mario gains MUCH more horizontal speed (takes a little time to accelerate to the appropriate speed, roughly half a second)
3. Turning around toward the edge with his up special seems like it can grab the edge at a more horizontal distance.

A couple "combos" I've found to recover safely.

1. Tornado then cape backwards, or just cape backwards (Tornado to halt momentum, cape backwards to set your orientation the other way.)
2. Double jump backwards and wait till you've traveled enough towards the stage (Refer to "benefits, 2" wait long enough until you think you can recover with an up special.)
3. Up special finally changing your direction towards the ledge of the stage (hopefully sweet spotting it)

*Note: I'm pretty sure you can use mario's up+b to wall jump to up+b somewhere in there, just experiment with it.

Thanks guys have fun smashin'

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
All you have to do most the time is cape tornado jump upb
Simple ****

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
Is there an optimal way of recovering with Mario? For example, I always thought that the most efficient way to recover would be to tornado, jump, cape, then up b, although I could be wrong.

LandonRobinson

Smash Veteran
NNID
OptimumForge
3DS FC
2148-8311-3367
Great suggestions. I've found that Tornado, cape, jump, up+B works best for most situations I'm in. And if that jumps not there, just tornado, cape, upb.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
in general it's good to save your jump as long as possible because if you do get edgeguarded you don't want to be caught without a jump.

Top Bottom