• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright, so I find out I'm a Ganondorf Main.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
I've had Smash 4 since it was out but only since a week ago I decided to do online battles. The characters I end up playing most are Bowser and Ganondorf with a bit of Shulk but for online battles I find myself choosing Ganondorf most of the time and enjoying it. I've only been doing 'For Fun' matches so far (with a warm-up on Classic Mode beforehand) and I find myself ranking at least 2nd or 3rd with a couple of 1sts that weren't a result of being the one to use the Final Smash first.

So yeah, I think I've found that I wanted to main Ganondorf. I like using his Brown-Armour costume most of all. I've been practising his tilts and aerials and trying my hardest to avoid up-tilts because it's basically a free hit for anybody nearby. I haven't practised my off-stage game yet since I'm not 100% confident in Ganondorf's recovery, only once have I been roflstomped by another player and that was a 1v1 vs. a Peach on the Yoshi's wooly world stage. I once managed to shield-break a Little Mac player near the edge with D-Air and watch him gently fall into the blast zone. And once on a the Light-Plane stage I managed to beat two Clouds and an Ike for 1st place in a timed-match with 4 KOs and no deaths.

I think I need to work on my universal competitive techniques, such as pivoting, shield options and edgeguarding. I certainly know how to make use of the extra range of D-Tilt and not to use his D or Side-specials too far away because they're easy to read. But I suspect there's more to Ganondorf that I'm aware of so that's why I'm posting this thread.

Hey!

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Welcome to the Ganon boards, brother of evil! This would probably have been better off in the social thread, but no big deal.

If you have any questions we've got a Q/A thread stickied.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
Whoa whoa whoa
You beat 2 clouds
And an ike?
Without dieing?

Quick everyone bow to your new king!
Nah, I don't think it's anything that amazing. I must have just thrown a F-Air when they were all in a cluster and just knocked a whole bunch out at once. You can't defend yourself if you're fighting someone else. I also figure the reason I got no deaths was I wasn't focused down like in my other matches.

I'll know exactly how good I am when I start playing for Glory and get involved in 1v1 matchups with no distractions.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Nah, I don't think it's anything that amazing. I must have just thrown a F-Air when they were all in a cluster and just knocked a whole bunch out at once. You can't defend yourself if you're fighting someone else. I also figure the reason I got no deaths was I wasn't focused down like in my other matches.

I'll know exactly how good I am when I start playing for Glory and get involved in 1v1 matchups with no distractions.
He's trolling. Just assume that about most of what he says :p

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I would HIGHLY recomend getting an account on a site called anthers ladder (https://www.smashladder.com/) Thhis is a site where you can have a chat with the random people you play, as well as have casual and serious matches(depending on what you want). It is the best way to get better without other players on or above your skill level nearby to practice off of. Also for glory has some legitimate good players on it, but it's plagued with people that have fun with making fun of newcomers. Most people on it aren't good enough to really practice against, and it has lag issues. It also doesn't allow you to practice with platforms, making characters like link and little mac seem way better than they are. Practice with platforms with ganon is also extremely important as they are a much easier way to land hits than just a raw stage.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
I would HIGHLY recomend getting an account on a site called anthers ladder (https://www.smashladder.com/) ----- It also doesn't allow you to practice with platforms, making characters like link and little mac seem way better than they are. Practice with platforms with ganon is also extremely important as they are a much easier way to land hits than just a raw stage.
Thanks for the Smashladder tip, I thought being on Smashboards was the way to get involved in the Smash community but if I want to get better at Smash vs. Human players this'll probably do it.

Also funny you should mention platforms, it makes sense because in the particular match I was against the two Clouds and Ike was on the Pilot Wings stage and I hung about on the wings below during part of the match, U-Airing people from below. Of course after a while I jumped out after getting a KO, it didn't seem like any of them were coming down to get me.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
Better Low Tier than 'Oh Dear'

Besides, who wants to be a crossdressing ninja princess anyway?

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
Agreed. But bear in mind that calling somone an ******* might start more fires, so just be mindful. :colorful:

Anyway, welcome. Hopefully our comic relief aka Koskinator Koskinator didn't put you too off to us. :p
It's alright, it's a Ganondorf board, being cruel to others is standard fare. Besides I do understand I may have come off as a little too nonchalant about my achievements, like I said. Those Clouds and Ike were just fighting each other most of the time, I was just doing the dastardly thing about hitting them when their guard was down. Here's hoping the next patch has more Ganon buffs!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My best advice for using Ganondorf is if you're able to use customizations, please try to get hold of Dark Fists and Wizard's Dropkick if you haven't done so already; those two moves improve his recovery quite well.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
My best advice for using Ganondorf is if you're able to use customizations, please try to get hold of Dark Fists and Wizard's Dropkick if you haven't done so already; those two moves improve his recovery quite well.
Oh I love Dark Fists, it's kind of like a multi-hit version of Bowser's Custom 2 side special. I'll certainly take note of the Dropkick too. Previously I was foolish to think that Ganon's Neutral Custom 2 was any good because of the faster start-up but it's actually weaker in all areas compared to the original and Custom 1, I sort of prefer the sword anyway.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Not to contradict Sir Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , but get used to these customs at your own risk. Customs are pretty much non-existent in competitive play, so if that's the direction in which you're going, investing too much into customs might be an idea best abandoned.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not to contradict Sir Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , but get used to these customs at your own risk. Customs are pretty much non-existent in competitive play, so if that's the direction in which you're going, investing too much into customs might be an idea best abandoned.
Hence why I said "if". Under default conditions, Ganondorf heavily struggles with his recovery.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Hence why I said "if". Under default conditions, Ganondorf heavily struggles with his recovery.
Aye, aye, I feel you. Just making sure, since, after all, <we> know that the "if clause" entails a high degree of unlikelihood because of our competitive awareness; just making sure that's expressly known so that no vain timesinks are had with the glory of dark fists. :colorful:

Last edited:

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
The way I see it, if Ganondorf's default moves were replaced with some of these Customs, he wouldn't be on the bottom half of the tier list anymore, it's all I'm saying. Besides I will be reminded of his default moveset whenever I go online or do All-Star mode, it's why I'm focusing on mastering the timing of his aerials and tilts and trying to figure out the best ways to use the shield.

Zam053

Smash Cadet
Hey, welcome aboard.

And just a little touch: Ganon isn't a heavy-tech character, so most of the more advanced stuff (especially Perfect Pivoting) is little to no use to us. However, Ganon has heavy emphasis on mindgames and reads. You gotta learn how to read the enemy, understand and adapt to the other's playstyle and exploit the adversary's addictions and weakness. I am pretty bad at playing Smash (even with Ganon), but the important is always try to improve and aim for getting better (or just style the enemy, your call).

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
What about Lucca and Marle?
They're cool too just not as memorable for me, although Marle was in my final team.

You didn't mention Robo though... I didn't like him very much personally.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Very triggered, I feel CROSS. England people would understand

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I heard it was also pretty good, just not quite as good. I'm going to pick it up soon to try it out though

Top Bottom