• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alpharad Presents: Getting Better #1 - Tunnel Vision

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So all of his videos are just the same dumb joke over and over again?
Yup. And he's built quite the following of new / scrubby smash 4 players who think beating 6 year old children on for glory and making combo videos out of the footage means UBER SKILL.

So now, he seems to think he's qualified to teach smash. Pretty funny.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Yup. And he's built quite the following of new / scrubby smash 4 players who think beating 6 year old children on for glory and making combo videos out of the footage means UBER SKILL.

Yeah...For Glory =/= Skill.

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
I like Alpharad's videos and all but I don't think he's qualified to be some kind of smash tutor.
He has admitted himself to not playing in very many tournaments, and unless I'm wrong (please, correct me if I'm wrong) gets his footage from for glory games where he is playing people with no skill whatsoever, some of them perhaps being 6 year old children.
This whole "don't have tunnel vision in a fighting game" is so common sense that it shouldn't need to be explained.

Until this guy has some actual good tournament results / wins under his belt I think he should stick to his funny montages of clips that he records of himself fighting scrubs on for glory.

I don't think he's qualified to give advice in the same way that someone like Zero is, even if I don't like zero, I can respect his knowledge of the game and his results.

Alpharad has by no means earned this respect simply by making funny edits of for glory gameplay vs players with no idea how to play. That's my 2 cents.

No johns.

What's to "test" this is common sense. And it has nothing to do with sleeping or not sleeping... wow.
Dude /claps THIS perfect man

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah...For Glory =/= Skill.
For Glory montages are the cancer of smash 4.

It's unbelievable how many people don't understand smash and think that winning with X character on for glory (playing against 6 year old children and scrubs with no DI whatsoever) means something.

It boggles my ****ing mind.

NarayanK

Smash Cadet

Alpharad did state that he's not that great at Smash (it was stated once when he did a collab with StylesX2/Zero). Pretty sure the video's entire purpose was to prevent the "6-year old" players from continuing to play like that. The stuff he pointed out is actually good for most games since tunnel vision actually is a thing; he's just restating it in a game-specific video, which he did mention that he was doing exactly that.

tl;dr - The vid's probably made out of good intentions, despite his reputation for stuff like comedy or satire.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Alpharad did state that he's not that great at Smash (it was stated once when he did a collab with StylesX2/Zero). Pretty sure the video's entire purpose was to prevent the "6-year old" players from continuing to play like that. The stuff he pointed out is actually good for most games since tunnel vision actually is a thing; he's just restating it in a game-specific video, which he did mention that he was doing exactly that.

tl;dr - The vid's probably made out of good intentions, despite his reputation for stuff like comedy or satire.
Agreed, and I like Alpharad so I'm positive he has good intentions.

But, it doesn't change two main factors here

#1 - The advice he's giving is extremely, extremely obvious. It's like saying "dont touch the stove when the burner is on" Chances are if you don't already understand what he's saying, you don't have a good chance of ever being good at fighting games... or any sport really, and his video ain't gonna help.

#2 - He's not qualified to give advice on smash. I could probably 4 stock this guy because he is so conditioned to playing against people that walk right into hitboxes and don't think (the 6 year olds, lol) that he would have no idea how to play against my style which is a very mental and technical game... PPMD style.

TLDR : Alpharad should stick to his airhorns.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I like Alpharad's videos and all but I don't think he's qualified to be some kind of smash tutor.
He has admitted himself to not playing in very many tournaments, and unless I'm wrong (please, correct me if I'm wrong) gets his footage from for glory games where he is playing people with no skill whatsoever, some of them perhaps being 6 year old children.
This whole "don't have tunnel vision in a fighting game" is so common sense that it shouldn't need to be explained.

Until this guy has some actual good tournament results / wins under his belt I think he should stick to his funny montages of clips that he records of himself fighting scrubs on for glory.

I don't think he's qualified to give advice in the same way that someone like Zero is, even if I don't like zero, I can respect his knowledge of the game and his results.

Alpharad has by no means earned this respect simply by making funny edits of for glory gameplay vs players with no idea how to play. That's my 2 cents.

No johns.

What's to "test" this is common sense. And it has nothing to do with sleeping or not sleeping... wow.
Like you said, he has made his name by abusing the bad habits of awful players.
But wouldn't that make him more qualified to teach people about bad habits and how to recognise them than anyone else? Not less?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Like you said, he has made his name by abusing the bad habits of awful players.
But wouldn't that make him more qualified to teach people about bad habits and how to recognise them than anyone else? Not less?
Nope. If you're not being punished by a better player for each mistake you make, you're not learning anything aside fron the tiny basics and common sense. You're not going to be able to educate anyone without the experience of losing HARD to a much better player over and over, and over.

The novice has only failed once, where as the master has failed a thousand times...

Beating up on weaker players, in any competitive setting, lowers your skill. No exceptions, it builds a bad mentality of thinking you are good at a game when you're really not, it builds arrogance, and it gives you the idea that you don't need to earn your spacing / hits on your opponent.

Anyway I'm sure Alpharad knows this already. His heart is in the right place but considering his skill level is extremely inflated he should avoid becoming a smash 4 tutorial. We already have plenty of sources for smash 4 tutorials anyway (most of them garbage, sadly)

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Nope. If you're not being punished by a better player for each mistake you make, you're not learning anything aside fron the tiny basics and common sense. You're not going to be able to educate anyone without the experience of losing HARD to a much better player over and over, and over.

The novice has only failed once, where as the master has failed a thousand times...

Beating up on weaker players, in any competitive setting, lowers your skill. No exceptions, it builds a bad mentality of thinking you are good at a game when you're really not, it builds arrogance, and it gives you the idea that you don't need to earn your spacing / hits on your opponent.

Anyway I'm sure Alpharad knows this already. His heart is in the right place but considering his skill level is extremely inflated he should avoid becoming a smash 4 tutorial. We already have plenty of sources for smash 4 tutorials anyway (most of them garbage, sadly)
Alpharad beats up on weaker players, and now he is telling them why he is able to, in the hopes that knowing their bad habits will allow them to improve. Yo do not need to be a master to exploit a bad player's mentality, and as such you do not need to be a master to teach said bad player why their mentality is bad.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
Ahahaha. This is so much me.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
Illuminati Confirmed?

On topic: Alpharad never dissappoints me (besides Little Mac 101 :| ) with his content. I wouldn't say i focus on myself alot in game but it's probably 50/50 bewteen me and my opponent. I never really pay attention to both of us at once so this will give me something to think about next match :^) .
His Little Mac 101 was genius, don't be ignorant of it's beauty. Most definitely my second favorite 101, right behind Rosalina's, of course.

ChucklesWasTaken

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-9834-9435
This was not helpful i am still but at smash i tried spamming roll it wont work i dont want to adapt i want to play the game my way
That's not how it works, if a person is absolutely destroying you, you should probably change your play style to counter your opponents.

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
That's not how it works, if a person is absolutely destroying you, you should probably change your play style to counter your opponents.
Never i will play the same playstyle because if i get beat i wil never win i will never lose, i like it like that and theres that so no , im still butt at this game need to git gud this aint helping at all

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
His Little Mac 101 was genius, don't be ignorant of it's beauty. Most definitely my second favorite 101, right behind Rosalina's, of course.
It was ok. Little mac mains had to have been pretty dissappointed though. I personally liked the 202 better. And so far DDD's is the funniest. xD

Last edited:

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
#1 - The advice he's giving is extremely, extremely obvious. It's like saying "dont touch the stove when the burner is on" Chances are if you don't already understand what he's saying, you don't have a good chance of ever being good at fighting games... or any sport really, and his video ain't gonna help.

#2 - He's not qualified to give advice on smash. I could probably 4 stock this guy because he is so conditioned to playing against people that walk right into hitboxes and don't think (the 6 year olds, lol) that he would have no idea how to play against my style which is a very mental and technical game... PPMD style.
uh, i wasnt aware of what tunnel vision was prior to his video. does that automatically make me a bad player, despite playing smash with most competitive knowledge for quite some time now?

like you said, he was giving advice that was "obvious" or whatever. how qualified do you have to be in order to just give some plain advice? youre basically saying that an amateur artist cant give just because he isnt a professional. it just doesnt make any sense. im pretty sure when he only made the tutorial to just spread the word out to newer/bad players, aka some of his viewers.

itd be cool if you'd just take off the cool guy shades and just realize that not everybody knows everything. thanks.

ChucklesWasTaken

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-9834-9435
Never i will play the same playstyle because if i get beat i wil never win i will never lose, i like it like that and theres that so no , im still butt at this game need to git gud this aint helping at all
uhh, if you never win.... then how do you never lose? if you don't win, you lose...

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
uhh, if you never win.... then how do you never lose? if you don't win, you lose...
IF ya lose you win ya win but if i dont win i must lose but win at the same time and if i dont welll whats the meaning to lyfe when theres no lyfe at all

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883

Except he is qualified to teach Smash. And even if he isn't, so what? It's YouTube. He knows he isn't a "professional", and honestly it sounds pretty condescending to think that only "professionals" can help other people learn to get better at a videogame, especially a videogame that isn't strictly competitive only.
His channel is mostly comedic, and he wants to broaden his horizon a little. What's so bad about that?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Except he is qualified to teach Smash. And even if he isn't, so what? It's YouTube. He knows he isn't a "professional", and honestly it sounds pretty condescending to think that only "professionals" can help other people learn to get better at a videogame, especially a videogame that isn't strictly competitive only.
His channel is mostly comedic, and he wants to broaden his horizon a little. What's so bad about that?
I believe the problem isn't so much that he isn't professional, but that his gameplay videos rely more upon For Glory rather than tournaments or Anther's Ladder. Which isn't so much of a bad thing until you realize that For Glory is generally full of weaker players; this may sully the learning experience for some viewers. Even if they're saying the same thing, I'd much rather listen to the person who attends tournaments and loses than the online warrior who verses 'scrubs,' simply because the tournament goer is not only playing better players but is more likely trying to push the game farther and trying to understand whatever they can.

That, and as helpful as the video may be, a video along the lines of neutral/footsies would fare better, considering the idea of not having 'tunnel vision' falls within it.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I believe the problem isn't so much that he isn't professional, but that his gameplay videos rely more upon For Glory rather than tournaments or Anther's Ladder. Which isn't so much of a bad thing until you realize that For Glory is generally full of weaker players; this may sully the learning experience for some viewers. Even if they're saying the same thing, I'd much rather listen to the person who attends tournaments and loses than the online warrior who verses 'scrubs,' simply because the tournament goer is not only playing better players but is more likely trying to push the game farther and trying to understand whatever they can.

That, and as helpful as the video may be, a video along the lines of neutral/footsies would fare better, considering the idea of not having 'tunnel vision' falls within it.
See, I think you're missing the point. He's not making tutorials to push the boundaries of the game, or get people up to tournament level, or help players perfect their game.
He is pointing out the flaws and bad habits of the awful players he plays against in his comedic series. He can beat these players because they play incredibly predictably, and by pointing out what about them makes them so predictable, he hopes to save equally bad players from the same traps.

TL;DR: This is to make bad players not be bad. Anyone can teach this stuff, Alpharad is just the one doing it because exploiting bad players is his speciality.

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883

Except most of his viewers aren't really tournament level. As he said, most of his views come from people who aren't subscribed. Not everything has to be tournament-level.

Top Bottom