• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ally's Marth

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Yesterday in losers finals Ally bring us Marth in the second match against Mr.R's Sheik. Starts at 2:28

He played good or naw?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
This probably would have been better for the video or general threads.

Anyways, you can tell that Ally isn't a Marth main here. He knows Marth well enough, and has a good enough grasp of fundamentals to do fairly well with him, but he's not a Marth main. He's not using any of the 1.0.8 buffs, which were huge. He also just seems out of practice with Marth.

IMO the only reason he did as well as he did here was because Mr. R either didn't know how to fight Marth, didn't consider Marth a threat, or just wasn't playing very well.

He also didn't use any customs which is just crazy.

So, he played well, but not as well as he could have.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Pretty much the Marth Shiek matchup in a nutshell, but not as polished. It consists of Marth being combo'd and pressured, but getting a few hits, until that tipper FSmash kills Shiek stupid early. More anti-pressure jabs would've been helpful.

Also saw no Nairs, but when you're forced to play so defensive, getting it out can be difficult.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
When it comes to someone like Marth, who is not the best character in this game, you have to work really hard for the win. He is just too slow for someone like Sheik who can get past most Marth player's attempts at walling out the Sheik, so he played very well considering how bad this match up is with Marth's current speed. I just hope that one day they will give Marth his fair speed back, I cannot use fair on sheild without getting kicked in the face.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
^^^ hey you...yeah you.

Stop being bad at the game and trying to fair shields.

k thnx.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
^^^ hey you...yeah you.

k thnx.
Sorry, what I meant to say is when I throw out a fair and they react by shielding. No need to be rude, everyone is trying to get better. Also I don't want to come off as rude either, I think I didn't explain the fair on shield thing well enough, so my bad.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Fair less in neutral positions where your opponent can shield. Use fair more so as a counter poke. If you want a neutral tool use jab, d-tilt or SH nair.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
^^^ hey you...yeah you.

k thnx.
You know.... it doesnt hurt being nice.
I've been reading some of your posts and ill give cred, your knowledgable and give good info but you're kinda ruthless lol...
(Hope i dont sound rude or anything :p)

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Me being nice to anyone won't make them stronger.

Consider me a mentor. A mentors duty is to inspire and help their fledgling unlock their potential. Hate me or love me, it's all irrelevant. When you look back you will be grateful for my brutal honesty and keen analysis.

Last edited:

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Fair less in neutral positions where your opponent can shield. Use fair more so as a counter poke. If you want a neutral tool use jab, d-tilt or SH nair.
Ok, thanks for the advice, do you think that SHFF nair so only the first hit connects then doing Jab, or should I just do a full Nair?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Me being nice to anyone won't them stronger.

Consider me a mentor. A mentors duty is to inspire and help their fledgling unlock their potential. Hate me or love me, it's all irrelevant. When you look back you will be grateful for my brutal honesty and keen analysis.
Well I guess thats another way to look at it.

Novaseer

Smash Cadet
Ally used so much dancing blade and F-smash, almost seemed desperate. Still, he almost won, so maybe he was just making good reads.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I just can't get over how impressive it is that this guy literally went toe to toe with EVO's 2nd place player using such a "low tier" character. He actually took the lead for a second there at the end. And like A_Kae said, it didn't even look like Ally knew the character too well. He even did worse in game one with Mario. Don't know about anybody else, but I think that says something.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
To me it just says Sheik hands mario his ass and only has slight advantage on Marth. Not that Marth is better then Mario or anything like that though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just wanted to point out that, considering Ally made really simple technical errors (messed up 3-4 Dancing Blades due to not pressing B fast enough), he allowed Mr R to get a few extra punishes he shouldn't have. Really Ally should have been significantly if not hugely ahead (losing neutral 3 times compared to winning it 3 times... that's a 6 time difference), even given Ally not practicing Marth a ton. And since both players got very early kills for their characters, the fsmash shouldn't be disregarded as anything lucky.

I always believed Marth was fine. It's my favorite Marth out of the smash games. He's designed to be hard to play. It makes me happy to see him being used at top levels and do well. Especially considering that his Mario got JV 2 stocked, I would say that Marth is a very competitive pick. Imagine if Ally was a more technically practiced Marth and took advantage of perfect pivots, dash dances, etc (at least to around what Mr E has shown is reasonably achievable), it would be sick.Thank you Ally.

Note: Ally plays in my region and he often uses Marth as a real pick (our top level players for reference are Rayquaza, Zinoto, Loe1; one week Ally placed third twice in locals). Sometimes his Marth does better, sometimes around the same, and sometimes worse than his Mario.

Last edited:

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
I didn't find Ally 's Marth impressive at all. The game was reasonably close, but only because of Mr. R's obvious lack of matchup experience. Marth isn't a difficult character for good players like Ally to use, but he won't ever beat someone like Mr. R if he doesn't use Marth to his full potential. Jab, Nair, and Utilt were lacking, and not using Custom Moves was just foolish.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
This is what I said in the Evo thread:
"I don't have much to say about Ally choosing Marth. If he would have labbed the buffs like I've been insistently asking him to (not 1 Nair or Utilt or DS OoS or Jab) then he would have had that game because Mr. R was asking to lose that match the way he was playing. I understand tournament nerves but you can tell Ally is stuck in last patch and that his Marth was rusty in general. If Ally won the match playing this way, it would have been undeserved. Okay so maybe I did have much to say."

I would like to add that ever since Ally found confidence in the Mario v. Rosa MU (he likes Mario's Dair a lot here), he hasn't had much of a reason to continue pushing his Marth. But hey, in this case, as we saw, some practice and experience with Marth would have actually given him a chance at beating Mr. R and winning thousands more $$$. So these kinds of things are a big deal.

Edit: Also, not sure if Mr. R banned it but Ally should've DEFINITELY went Battlefield.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
so, to beat the worlds top shiek main:

OoS DB till 50% then start fsmashing

epic i like it :marthmelee:
That's pretty much how the Marth meta should be

of course.

I think Ally's Marth needed a few betterments indeed.

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord Also I'm all for harsh criticism when needed but saying "getgud n stop fairing" doesn't really help much. If you do criticize a player's choice of attacks, make sure to give him some other better options he can use instead~

Just my 2 cents

A_Kae

Smash Ace
That's pretty much how the Marth meta should be

of course.

I think Ally's Marth needed a few betterments indeed.

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord Also I'm all for harsh criticism when needed but saying "getgud n stop fairing" doesn't really help much. If you do criticize a player's choice of attacks, make sure to give him some other better options he can use instead~

Just my 2 cents
But he did give some options to use instead of fair. Jab, d-tilt, and SH nair. All good options to use in place of fair.

Edit: Although he probably should have said that in his first post.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
But he did give some options to use instead of fair. Jab, d-tilt, and SH nair. All good options to use in place of fair.

Edit: Although he probably should have said that in his first post.
Exactly my point :)

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
To me it just says Sheik hands mario his *** and only has slight advantage on Marth. Not that Marth is better then Mario or anything like that though.
Opposite, In the actual matchup I'd say Mario performs better than Marth against Sheik.

Top Bottom