• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Things Momentum!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
There are 3 types of actions.
  1. set movement, resets your momentum to a set amount
  2. adds momentum, adds momentum up to a cap and carries momentum
  3. carries momentum, Slide as a result of built momentum
(abreviated and color coded: SM , AM and CM for the purposes of this post)

Some basic actions that have sets/adds momentum: Roll, Dash Attack, Dash Grab, Dash, Walk, Run, Drift, backwards Crawl*
*shifts/reverses momentum

Some basic actions that carry momentum: Crouch, Skid, Turnaround, Jump, Shield, Charging Smashes*, Pick Up Item, Standing Grab, Pivot Grabs, many Specials.

(edit) Turnaround and Jump actually add momentum if you hold a direction as you do it. This is most significant for RAR, since you don't want to lose momentum from your run. You jump before Turnaround can begin subtracting speed; but Jump itself adds an amount of speed when you jump depending on what direction you hold, thus essentially allowing 3 distinct type of jumps: Forward, Neutral, Backward (kinda like street fighter jumps, except you can drift in this game). For RARing you obvious want the Backwards jump.

Basically you can extend the range of actions that Carry momentum or use them safely by modifying their movement.

So basically you'd want to cancel something that has Great Set momentum or adds momentum to extend the reach of actions that Carries momentum

Momentum quirks
  • B-reversals: Reverses momentum
  • Crawl Dash: Crawling backwards reverses momentum
  • Grounded Specials has you decelerate faster
  • Also grass terrain has you decelerate faster
  • F-tilt and Fsmash carry momentum if it cancels a Turnaround. Otherwise it always kills your momentum
Need testing if all characters' F-tilt/Fsmash Carry momentum on Turnaround, . My hypotheses:
If you don't cancel a Turnaround, then F-tilt/Fsmash always resets your momentum

Perfect Pivot: In the first few frames of a dash, inputting the opposite direction for only one frame (can be done by flicking the stick) will perform a regular, lagless standing turnaround animation that can be instantly cancelled with any move. You keep some momentum from the direction of the initial dash.
Dash > Perfect Pivot > CM attack

Although its main advantage is being able to cancel a Dash into anything, it only has a minimal slide to slightly extend CM attacks.
Note: You slide in the direction of the initial Dash, so you are sliding backwards.

• Drift cancel: land (not that if you land on a slant you gain/lose more momentum from your falling force becoming kinetic energy)
  • Walk cancel: Movement stick neutral, or dude. Anything.
Some non character specific
  • Roll Canceled Grab: Dash (buffers roll) > Roll > Grab/pivot Grab
  • Dash Attack Canceled Usmash: Dash attack > Usmash (varies) R.I.P
Dash Jump Cancels
  • Jump Canceled Up Special: Dash > Jump > Up-B
  • Jump Canceled Usmash: Dash > Jump > Usmash
  • Jump Canceled Reverse Usmash: Dash > Turnaround > Jump > Usmash
  • Jump Canceled Item Throw: Dash > Jump > Item Throw

Run Cancels
  • Run Canceled Special: Run > Specials
  • Run Shield: Run > Shield
  • Inherently all Jump Cancels
Note: you may cancel Shield with jump, and cancel some chargable specials with shield
Turnaround Cancels
  • Turnaround F-Tilt (Pivot tilt): Dash > Turnaround > Ftilt
  • Turnaround Fsmash (Pivot Smash): Dash > Turnaround > Fsmash
  • Reverse Aerial Rush: Dash > Turnaround > Jump

Skid Cancels
Skid Canceled Shield Grab is not returning from Brawl as you cannot cancel skid with shield anymore.
  • Skid Canceled Pick up: Dash > Run > Skid > Pick up
  • Skid Canceled Pivot Grab: Dash > Run > Skid > Pivot Grab

• Drift boost Tomahawking Grab: Short Hop > Drift > Fast Fall > grab, Grab's range is minimally extended by the momentum from drifting.
  • Airdodge Edge Cancel: whilst drifting, Airdodge > off edge, note that you can only edge cancel if you are facing the edge. You can't slide off backwards.
Turnaround actually has you accelerate and if you return your movement stick to neutral just before you begin your Run animation, you carry the momentum when you were turning around whilst in a standing position. Generally is it about the same as the distance you get from walking/drifting, but some characters have notable Turnarounds such as diddy and Mii brawlers.

Character Specifics
:4diddy:Monkey Flip: has lots of momentum, increases drift speed cap so his drift boost is incredibly longer. The drift speed increase is reset by every aerial, airdodge, Item Toss, specials, Peanut Popgun Cancel, but not charging the Peanut Popgun(shooting it has set movement). Peanut popgun can be canceled into some CM moves. The start up of Monkey Flip does CM but then is given SM. Therefore, B-reversal Monkey Flip minimally affects it. Since it leaves you at a standing position you can do anything. Here's some that CM
Monkey Flip > Peanut

Monkey Flip > Drift Boosted (tilt / utilt / Usmash / Dsmash / Charging Fsmash / Item Toss / Spot dodge / taunts)
Monkey Flip > Peanut Gun > Grab/Shield/Item Toss
Monkey Flip > Peanut Gun > Shield > Jump > Usmash / Up-B
Monkey Flip
> Drift Boost >Crawl Dash > Dtilt / utilt / Usmash / Dsmash / Charging Fsmash(But not released Fsmash) / Item Toss / Spot dodge / taunts
Note:Charging Peanut Popgun on the ground makes you decelerate faster; therefore, if you should cancel it into CM move ASAP to conserve momentum.
Also any basic actions that
carries or adds momentum
:4bowser:WaveSlash: Cancel Custom Side-B 2 & 3 by landing just as Bowser lunges. This has lots of momentum. Also it leaves you in a standing position so you may do anything from it. Here some that CM
Waveslash > Dtilt / U-tilt / Usmash / Dsmash / Grab / Jump / Side-B

Also any basic actions that carries or adds momentum
(edit):Waveslash AM, I originally believed it to have SM. Since it AM, it allows Bowser to do a ludicrously Far Side-B out of Waveslash. unfortunately Spot dodge has SM and resets his momentum.
:4megaman:

F-tilt does 1% less damage and less knock back compared to Jab. Because of the extra knockback and the inability to walk and Jab, Jab > Jab does not work. Megaman can use his F-tilt/walk to extend the range of Jab allowing Jab > Jab to connect.

F-tilt cancel > Jab > F-Tilt Cancel > Jab > F-Tilt Cancel > Jab for 9%
where as f-tilt >f-tilt >f-tilt only does 6%

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
We generally like calling them that on the megaman boards. it kinda a meme. So Yes!. Commentators refer to them as lemons as well. even though they are sun energy balls.

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
We generally like calling them that on the megaman boards. it kinda a meme. So Yes!. Commentators refer to them as lemons as well. even though they are sun energy balls.
Well I am a big fan of mega man, but I didn't actually know the source for that expression. I kinda feel old... Even though I'm 32 :(

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
K, they look like lemons, the games gave no explanation. So guy probably popularized calling them lemons. Seems pretty sttraight forward. But who originally populized calling them lemons, well sorry I don't know.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
K, they look like lemons, the games gave no explanation. So guy probably popularized calling them lemons. Seems pretty sttraight forward. But who originally populized calling them lemons, well sorry I don't know.
Geez, sorry. But yeah thanks again for the momentum information. It will come in handy not only for me, but for the entire competitive smash community.

Signia

Smash Lord
Your writing style is absolutely obnoxious.

Basically you can Extend the Range of actions that Carry momentum or use them safely by modifying their movement.
Why do you randomly capitalize letters? You're making yourself look like an idiot. If you want to emphasize something, use italics.

• Walk cancel: Movement stick neutral, or Dude. anything.
  • lol

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Your writing style is absolutely obnoxious.

Why do you randomly capitalize letters? You're making yourself look like an idiot. If you want to emphasize something, use italics.

• lol
Sorry. I'm not emphaszing anything. Was typing this on a mac keyboard at the time. I randomly slip onto shift (notably my ring finger) and also somewhat hastily typed it up. I'll edit it later to fix the minor stuff. or retype things clearer. I wanted this out there before I went to bed.

Also i'll keep in mind the italics. thanks

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Apparently not all spotdodges carry momentum. Run > Spotdodge to increase the distnce of spotdodge is not universal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom