• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Star Mode is the Key to Balancing Project M (A Tournament Ruleset) UPDATED

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
it won't catch on, and it won't spread lol. all-star is a side event, a fun mode, not a balancing tool.

Last edited:

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
No no no, that's a terrible idea. Maybe you could test it out as a side thing, but you can't push radical ruleset changes by just thrusting them on to players at your events.

LifeMakesMeLOL

Smash Rookie
I will say All Star as a side tourney sound very fun.

I wouldn't show up to an event for one but I'd gladly participate and be glad that it's there, just like low tier side events.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
the smarter solution is to just remove counterpicking rules entirely; you pick a character and that's the character you play for that match, if not the entire tourney
This kind of reminds me of playing MvC. Make it 3 stock, pick your team blind, and that's your team for the set (i wouldn't bind it that for the enter tourney).

I like hearing these radical ideas and opinions for developing new and different standards for playing this game. They may never catch on, but if they did, I think they could differentiate PM from Melee in good ways.

Bleck

Smash Master
They may never catch on, but if they did, I think they could differentiate PM from Melee in good ways.
I would argue that every Smash game - every fighting game, even - should be played that way

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
ok, i'll humor you and tell you why there is a difference, I assumed you would have any kind of decent tourney experience to figure it out for yourself but as usual that turns out to be not the case, an uncharacteristic assumption on my part when I could have just skipped to the part where I tell you this is terrible BECAUSE you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Player vs player adaptation happens on a character by character and matchup by matchup basis. Allowing multiple characters in one game completely redefines the skillset we decide to have tournies test, making player reading ability (the main skill tested at high-top level) much less relevant and making matchup knowledge, matchup diversity, and gameplay knowledge the primary cruxes of high-top level gameplay despite this being a level of play assumed to be passed by players at that point. Nobody wants the game to actually work out that way, at least not anybody with high level tourney experience. You are taking a supposed problem and trying to fix it with something that doesn't address the problem. The most obvious result of the polarized matchups problem is that singular mains can easily lose to other singular mains based just on character. If you allow singular mains to pick their characters 4 times in all star mode... you haven't fixed the problem. If you restrict this, you're restricting their freedom to play the characters they one in tourney. The solution to this can't be found in alternate game settings. You have to actually rework the characters. I promise, you don't have a magic solution.

And you know? Even if this were a good solution (it's not, it doesn't really help at all) maybe 1/100 top players would actually be on board with such a radical change. Contrary to your ignorant statement in the first post, just because it's not melee, doesn't mean we want completely different rules from melee. You can't respond to traditionalist arguments with anti-traditionalist arguments. Much like you don't keep something the same just because "that's the way it's always been", you don't change something for the sake of changing it. You need a reason to change something that that has benefits that outweight the detriments of changing an established precedence. Your solution does not do this as it has no significant benefits.
theres no such thing as high level project m players. Assuming the best project M players don't get any better, they will be mid tier once the meta develops. Now is EXACTLY the time where arguments like "high level players won't want to do it" don't hold any water whatsoever.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
theres no such thing as high level project m players. Assuming the best project M players don't get any better, they will be mid tier once the meta develops. Now is EXACTLY the time where arguments like "high level players won't want to do it" don't hold any water whatsoever.
that's nonsense. It's like saying there were no top level melee players in 2006 because nowadays they'd all be ****ty compared to the gods. What a top level player is depends on what the game's scene looks like at that time. Also, "assuming the best project m players don't get any better", what the ****, is this how you think competition works? Once you're the best player, you can't get any better and by default everyone else just has to wait until they catch up? It's a terrible assumption. Please don't post anymore

Top Bottom