• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see them now...
Though it seems rather complicated... Might be a hassle getting the two in the back...
But that still doesn't solve the wireless problem. Remember, this is Nintendo we're talking about. If this petition does go through, I don't think they're is gonna make them wired.
Turn the system so that the side is facing the players.

As for the wireless issue I'm sure it's possible to make the controller operate similarly to a PS3 controller. When plugged in it works as a wired controller, when unplugged, press the home button and use as wireless. An update may be able to solve this issue.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You can also buy a usb hub, like me. (My Wii U basically has 7 USB slots, since it uses 1 for a 4 usb hub).

Also I implore all of you to stop bashing on the control stick position of the Wii U Pro until you've given it at least one to two months. Personally I have been playing Melee emulators on my pc with the Wii U Pro and quite frankly everything is so much more comfortable to do.

Smash is a stick heavy game. Because of the fact that I map jump to a shoulder button the only reason I need to use the buttons for is Jabbing or Specials. Now ask yourself, what do you perform more, jabs + specials or aerials + tilts + smashes? If the answer is the latter (which it should be with almost every character) then having the control stick in that position will eliminate the need of "clawing". It will give you faster input times without the need to put your hand in an awkward position.

Also if you truly want the "best" controller in terms of input speed (nothing subjective here, it is all objectivity) then I have been able to map the Wii U Pro in a way where you do not need to move a single finger. Anytime you move your thumb on the GC (to use the cstick, to jump, to use specials) you will technically be inferior in tech skill and input speed to what my Wii U Pro setup can be. The only problem with my setup is getting used to it, since you are required to use the "clickeable" thumbsticks which is very awkward to use and hard to get used to.

So if you want a truly "better" controller in terms of tech accuracy or speed (instead of just comfort and tradition which is what the GC controller offers) the Wii U Pro will be your controller.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
You can also buy a usb hub, like me. (My Wii U basically has 7 USB slots, since it uses 1 for a 4 usb hub).

Also I implore all of you to stop bashing on the control stick position of the Wii U Pro until you've given it at least one to two months. Personally I have been playing Melee emulators on my pc with the Wii U Pro and quite frankly everything is so much more comfortable to do.

Smash is a stick heavy game. Because of the fact that I map jump to a shoulder button the only reason I need to use the buttons for is Jabbing or Specials. Now ask yourself, what do you perform more, jabs + specials or aerials + tilts + smashes? If the answer is the latter (which it should be with almost every character) then having the control stick in that position will eliminate the need of "clawing". It will give you faster input times without the need to put your hand in an awkward position.

Also if you truly want the "best" controller in terms of input speed (nothing subjective here, it is all objectivity) then I have been able to map the Wii U Pro in a way where you do not need to move a single finger. Anytime you move your thumb on the GC (to use the cstick, to jump, to use specials) you will technically be inferior in tech skill and input speed to what my Wii U Pro setup can be. The only problem with my setup is getting used to it, since you are required to use the "clickeable" thumbsticks which is very awkward to use and hard to get used to.

So if you want a truly "better" controller in terms of tech accuracy or speed (instead of just comfort and tradition which is what the GC controller offers) the Wii U Pro will be your controller.
perhaps when controllers let us imput our actions-as fast as possible without moving a single finger... Then controllers have been perfected or greatly improved.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
perhaps when controllers let us imput our actions-as fast as possible without moving a single finger... Then controllers have been perfected or greatly improved.
IMO, the Wii U Pro is an improvement from the GCC, the only argument I count as valid is "the GCC is more comfortable" but that is actually a subjective opinion, so there is no base to that argument as everyone will feel differently. There is no objective attribute that the GCC has on top of the Wii U Pro except for being wired instead of wireless, but then again the Wii U doesn't take any wired controllers so thats also a moot point.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
This reminds me of an episode of Pure Pwnage (if you haven't watched the episodes, you need too!) in which Jeremy is asked where he'll be in 10 years. He says that he sees himself floating in some bio-liquid with cables attached to his brain so he can pwn noobs all day long and stuff. Hilarious stuff!

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Once an alcoholic smash player, always an alcoholic smash player... :troll:
I could understand someone getting hooked on alcohol, but nothing about smash is stimulating enough to warrant playing it for me these days.

Smash 4 may cure that, but, I am not forking out for the WiiFailure2 just to try it out and be let down.
Thus I check the progress of the game here+the sakurai daily turd blog.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I could understand someone getting hooked on alcohol, but nothing about smash is stimulating enough to warrant playing it for me these days.

Smash 4 may cure that, but, I am not forking out for the WiiFailure2 just to try it out and be let down.
Thus I check the progress of the game here+the sakurai daily turd blog.
At least your aren't pessimistic about the game. =P
Well, let's hope that it is stimulating for you, because it'll then be like crack for the rest of us.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

This is what I did with the Wiimote+Nunchaku for Brawl. Everything was assigned to one finger each. This is also the reason why arcade sticks are so nice as I've mentioned before.

I'm gonna take a guess as to what your setup is.

LS: Control Stick
RS: C-Stick
ZL: Jump
L: Shield
ZR: Attack
R: Special

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I love Gamecube controllers. I feel they were the best controllers for Smash... but since SSB4 isn't using Gamecube controllers, I am currently learning how to play Smash with Wii Classic Controllers to prepare myself for when SSB4 comes out.

Tree Cat

Smash Cadet
Wii U pro is fine. You're asking for double backwards compatibility which doesn't happen.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Personally, I love Gamecube controllers. I feel they were the best controllers for Smash... but since SSB4 isn't using Gamecube controllers, I am currently learning how to play Smash with Wii Classic Controllers to prepare myself for when SSB4 comes out.
This is how you do it.
I cannot stand people that constantly beg for the GCC to be ported to Wii U. Sure it was a good controller but come on, things change and it will give the devs a chance to make a newer and hopefully more improved controller at some stage. Until then you still have GOOD controllers (and by good I mean, beat the N64 one by miles anyway) like the wii gamepads and .. i guess the.. nunch- Okay I hate the nunchuck personally but hey, I hear it still gets the job done.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My 2 cents on this issue - and forgive me if these points were already stated (was too lazy to read through all of the comments): Some people may not like the idea of playing Smash Bros. with anything that isn't a GCN controller. The thing is, we need to learn to adapt to the changes. Smash 64 used the original N64 controller (though, yes, the Virtual Console version allows use of the GCN controller), and when Melee came out, no one complained about the lack of the N64 controller scheme. Brawl pretty much spoiled Melee players by allowing them the ability to play with GCN controllers. Had the Wii not been backwards compatible, we'd be forced to use different controllers, whether the Wii Remote (+ Nunchuk), or the Wii Classic Controller. Vermanubis uses the Classic Controller to great effect, and there are people who can play just as well with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo.

The main point I'm trying to drive is that if we can transition from Smash 64's N64 controller to Melee's GCN controller, then why can't we do the same from Melee/Brawl's GCN's controller scheme to the Wii U's? Oh, and anyone using the wireless argument can just stop, because the Wii U Pro Controller comes with a USB cable you can plug right into the system (I would know, I have two).

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
My 2 cents on this issue - and forgive me if these points were already stated (was too lazy to read through all of the comments): Some people may not like the idea of playing Smash Bros. with anything that isn't a GCN controller. The thing is, we need to learn to adapt to the changes. Smash 64 used the original N64 controller (though, yes, the Virtual Console version allows use of the GCN controller), and when Melee came out, no one complained about the lack of the N64 controller scheme. Brawl pretty much spoiled Melee players by allowing them the ability to play with GCN controllers. Had the Wii not been backwards compatible, we'd be forced to use different controllers, whether the Wii Remote (+ Nunchuk), or the Wii Classic Controller. Vermanubis uses the Classic Controller to great effect, and there are people who can play just as well with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo.

The main point I'm trying to drive is that if we can transition from Smash 64's N64 controller to Melee's GCN controller, then why can't we do the same from Melee/Brawl's GCN's controller scheme to the Wii U's? Oh, and anyone using the wireless argument can just stop, because the Wii U Pro Controller comes with a USB cable you can plug right into the system (I would know, I have two).
USB cable only does charging, no input data is transmitted

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Oh. Well, I've played with it anyway, and it seems perfectly fine.
Me too, I actually like it a lot. However, there are people who don't like it and prefer the gcn style of remote, and i'm fine with that. Imo, it's not my right or anyone else's telling them to adapt or change their controller when they prefer the gcn setup.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Imo, it's not my right or anyone else's telling them to adapt or change their controller when they prefer the gcn setup.
While I do agree, the fact remains that if Nintendo does not release any GCN-type of controller for the Wii U, smashers wanting to dip their feet in the waters of Smash 4 are forced to adapt to the new controller scheme(s).

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
While I do agree, the fact remains that if Nintendo does not release any GCN-type of controller for the Wii U, smashers wanting to dip their feet in the waters of Smash 4 are forced to adapt to the new controller scheme(s).
Most brawl players won't have a problem with this.
It's the melee players that cannot handle change well, and.. well they're just going to /have/ to this time round.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's the melee players that cannot handle change well, and.. well they're just going to /have/ to this time round.
FALSE.

Most, competitive or just a non-competitive gamer, played with the GCC instead for Brawl because the Wii allowed it and, just like these Melee players you try to put down, find it as the most comfortable.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
This reminds me of an episode of Pure Pwnage (if you haven't watched the episodes, you need too!) in which Jeremy is asked where he'll be in 10 years. He says that he sees himself floating in some bio-liquid with cables attached to his brain so he can pwn noobs all day long and stuff. Hilarious stuff!
That show has more than 2 episodes? I only seen the first 2 lol.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Then how can we transmit signals?
The controller needs to be engineered in a way where data can be transmitted wirelessly and also wired. Also the console must be able to receive information through both means too.

The console problem is easy to fix, it can be done with a simple update. Now the controller part would need Nintendo to actually make a new controller with a new chip inside which can also transmit data through wired means. This isn't even relatively hard, in fact its a trivial thing to do, but the question for Nintendo is: is it worth it?

And no, a controller does not need to be wired only to send data through wired means. It could be both wireless and wired, it just needs to be made that way, which no Wii U controller has.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The controller needs to be engineered in a way where data can be transmitted wirelessly and also wired. Also the console must be able to receive information through both means too.

The console problem is easy to fix, it can be done with a simple update. Now the controller part would need Nintendo to actually make a new controller with a new chip inside which can also transmit data through wired means. This isn't even relatively hard, in fact its a trivial thing to do, but the question for Nintendo is: is it worth it?

And no, a controller does not need to be wired only to send data through wired means. It could be both wireless and wired, it just needs to be made that way, which no Wii U controller has.
Say, here's a great idea. If Nintendo won't make it, and the adaptors don't work. Why not just make the GCN controllers ourselves?
It's not like we can't. If we made Project M possible, then what could stop us?

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Say, here's a great idea. If Nintendo won't make it, and the adaptors don't work. Why not just make the GCN controllers ourselves?
It's not like we can't. If we made Project M possible, then what could stop us?
Materials productions copyright laws and marketing.

Also project m was made via computer so some tools were used to edit stuff and to create things in the computer also they could have project m downloaded by almost everyone. Making a controller would have sooo much more complications particular materials.

You're wrong ombré. Brawl and Melee players use them and love it equally , it's a good control man. Go to a Brawl tournament and see how many people have a GC controller, unless you're just tryna' be" that guy" who uses something else.

Lol who said we had to do anything? We can just keep playing Melee and Brawl.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Materials productions copyright laws and marketing.

Also project m was made via computer so some tools were used to edit stuff and to create things in the computer also they could have project m downloaded by almost everyone. Making a controller would have sooo much more complications particular materials.
Couldn't we make our own adaptor then?

pitthekit

Smash Ace
You're wrong ombré. Brawl and Melee players use them and love it equally , it's a good control man. Go to a Brawl tournament and see how many people have a GC controller, unless you're just tryna' be" that guy" who uses something else.

Lol who said we had to do anything? We can just keep playing Melee and Brawl.
This terrazi terrakin guy is assuming a lot. Hmm according to some human rules unless he tells us undeniable evidence of melee players(which are human) that they can't handle change very well. Terrazi whatever is wrong until proven right.

Unless this terrazi guy assumes we read a lot of melee players post and reactions to change and know that they can't handle change well?

Couldn't we make our own adaptor then?
Hmmmm sure some technological genius could make an adaptor if the other ones are really obsolete and bad.

This terrazi terrakin guy is assuming a lot. Hmm according to some human rules unless he tells us undeniable evidence of melee players(which are human) that they can't handle change very well. Terrazi whatever is wrong until proven right.

Unless this terrazi guy assumes we read a lot of melee players post and reactions to change and know that they can't handle change well?
I guess he just doesn't get that people like things for what they are.

There is only a finite point that you can continue an activity for the sake of not moving on. The people who play Melee enjoy Melee for what it is, and the people enjoy Brawl for what it is, same applies to Smash 64.

Those who continue to insinuate that others must move on don't respect others decisions to continue with what they are doing. Just because one is so lenient with their mettle doesn't mean we have to join you in your belief. I mean--do what the **** you want, imma chill here and enjoy the game and the controller I wanna play n'amsayin'?

That's like telling me I can't have a song on repeat without some Douche rollin up on me yelling in my ear saying "that song is old, that album is out dated; you need to move on". Please, contain yourself.

I love Smash and I love my GC. The controller with Smash just means a lot to me, and bringing that into smash 4 brings along a part of my memories playing this game and makes me look forward to even more. That's what excites me about Smash too man, just knowing that we can all get together again, crunch sone data, play smash a lot, talk about it, help others in need and just have a good time being in the community.

I've had my GC controller for 13 years now. It's kinda jacked up, the stick is busted and it goes haywire sometimes, but it just wouldn't feel like smash without it.

And if you don't like that then you could **** yourself.

I probably shouldn't say that--nah, I love my controller though. GC for Smash 4.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I guess he just doesn't get that people like things for what they are.

There is only a finite point that you can continue an activity for the sake of not moving on. The people who play Melee enjoy Melee for what it is, and the people enjoy Brawl for what it is, same applies to Smash 64.

Those who continue to insinuate that others must move on don't respect others decisions to continue with what they are doing. Just because one is so lenient with their mettle doesn't mean we have to join you in your belief. I mean--do what the **** you want, imma chill here and enjoy the game and the controller I wanna play n'amsayin'?

That's like telling me I can't have a song on repeat without some Douche rollin up on me yelling in my ear saying "that song is old, that album is out dated; you need to move on". Please, contain yourself.

I love Smash and I love my GC. The controller with Smash just means a lot to me, and bringing that into smash 4 brings along a part of my memories playing this game and makes me look forward to even more. That's what excites me about Smash too man, just knowing that we can all get together again, crunch sone data, play smash a lot, talk about it, help others in need and just have a good time being in the community.

I've had my GC controller for 13 years now. It's kinda jacked up, the stick is busted and it goes haywire sometimes, but it just wouldn't feel like smash without it.

And if you don't like that then you could **** yourself.

I probably shouldn't say that--nah, I love my controller though. GC for Smash 4.
omg i love this post! I love the feeling from being in the smash community (discovering things having a good time) I enjoy my GameCube controller so much! If the GameCube adapter for Wii u is good then I will be soo happy!

Yeah brawl split the community apart and I hope smash 4 brings us all back together as a happy family <3

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's an unpopular fact: I like the Wii U Pro Controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom