• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All right, enter the...

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
Enter the 2 year old SSBM retired who tried to come back again but didnt quite managed to.

AKA....Me

I left Smash like 2 or 3 years ago and last year i registered in the forums asking advise about how to use Marth...What does it has to do with Pichu? well, I said I "didnt quite managed" to come back. And not because Marth was difficult or anything like that, in fact the times me and my friends "smash" we are not that "ZOMFG" kinda smashers. We are quite above the casual but not quite yet on the amateur / pro side of the ecuation, the thing is, I got bored of the same characters over and over again.

Theres is where Pichu enters the equation. I tried using mewtwo last week, the results were "ok", not as good as my now abandoned-Marth but I manage some good combos, if few.

The thing is, i know how cool M2 can be, but i realized after trying it that its not quite my tipe of character. I rather play something more nimble, even if it results in a easyer to KO character (I used to main the puff before "retire").

Well, I was of the idea of the "crappy Pichu" and everything u may know of those days back when "if u dont us top tier u r da 5uck".

Anyhow, long story short, by destiny i came back to the forums and saw actual activity in the pichu thread, and as i checked out, i saw some really cool vids (T0mmy ur pichu rocks!)

So i decided to try the lil rat. I just started yesterday, and im planing on a "comeback" to my city´s tournaments (new league ^^). I simply dont want to be "another <top tier ch> player", i want to be something rather unique and also have some fun than just the "pre-established dash-short hop->+a-fast fall-repeat- Marth".

The thing is, i need "quick tips", a read the guides,and find them as good as good guides can
bye, but its not quite what i need. I need just like the basics, so there goes my rain of questions:

-¿How REALLY necessary is "slide/WD" with pichu?
I find it really hard to pull out compared to Marth and Mewtwo, and when im starting to pulling it out its either late (almost death in last stock) or simply dont find any use for it.So I really want to know if it is "a necesity".

-¿Whats like te less difficult way to short hop, like...which buton do u guys use ;and if u use the "A" button for the f-air or u use the "Z" button?

-¿Whats in your opinion and overall experience (thats what i lack) the best way to grab, "z" or Shieldgrab?

-¿Teching its the also named "wavedance",the one u "start running" back and fotrh for mindgames? if not ¿What is it (in short terms, i skipped the glosary in the guides:p)

-And finnally and just for curiosity, how does it feels to really OWN with Picu:chuckle: ?

Hope your awnsers, and im pretty sure this thread has bean open hundreds of times but is kind of importand for my as it is my "comeback" to the game, and to be honest i have quite a good "reputation" on it, even in our "no really good level" status.

Thank u ^^

PS: Sorry for my english if its kinda messy, have a couple of reasons for that, first of all im not native speaker and second , im now living in japan (one fot he reasons i left playing smash with my friends back home XD).U may know the "popular" sayings of japanese people´s REALLY crappy english pronunciation, the bad thing is...they dont know a 5h1T of spanish...not even where my beloved Mexico is, so i have to listen and adapt to their english so, sorry if i made such a non-readible post:)

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I wavedash with Pichu often to very often.

I shorthop with Y

I do almost all my Pichu aerials with the A button

When I offensively seek a grab I use Z, when I shieldgrab or WD grab it's R/L + A

Teching = pressing R/L before you hit a surface to recover
Dashdancing = running back and forth for the mindgames

T0MMY

Smash Master
-¿How REALLY necessary is "slide/WD" with pichu?
I find it really hard to pull out compared to Marth and Mewtwo, and when im starting to pulling it out its either late (almost death in last stock) or simply dont find any use for it.So I really want to know if it is "a necesity".

-¿Whats like te less difficult way to short hop, like...which buton do u guys use ;and if u use the "A" button for the f-air or u use the "Z" button?

-¿Whats in your opinion and overall experience (thats what i lack) the best way to grab, "z" or Shieldgrab?

-¿Teching its the also named "wavedance",the one u "start running" back and fotrh for mindgames? if not ¿What is it (in short terms, i skipped the glosary in the guides:p)

-And finnally and just for curiosity, how does it feels to really OWN with Picu:chuckle: ?
Thanks for the compliment on my Pichu. So, I guess if I answer your questions it'll come from a source you trust from a competent player.
It's cool that you're picking up Pichu to fight in local tournaments, he is a unique choice, if you want to win tournaments play top-tier, but for local tournaments maybe you can pull it off with Pichu and get even more respect as a player.

1) Sliding is necessary for every character. Even if you don't use it very much you need to be able to do EVERYTHING with a character just in case you need to pull it off instantly or else Pichu will DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH.

2) Personally, I use the Y button and L button to slide, but this seems kind of unorthodox, and it really doesn't matter much for Pichu, so however you feel comfortable doing it.
2.5) This is kind of a new question altogether, but I use the C-stick for a lot of air attacks, just depends on when I feel like using the A-button, but I never use that Z-button, I hate that stupid button. It doesn't even grab right! Argh... stupid thing.

3) I grab mostly with jump-canceled grabs-- dash in, slide back, come in again after they've been caught off guard (usually after they attacked and I have slid back so I don't get hit), and then jump-cancel grab.
I also grab out of my shield after they hit it whenever I have the chance. But if they're behind me, I will Up-Smash out of shield if they're close or Up+B out of shield and get out of there. Remember to Slide out of shield to grab if they are out of reach (ie knockback from hitting your shield)

4) I think you are referring to "dash dancing" and it's overrated. A master can just stand there and hit you whenever he wants. But I like using it for timing my attacks more than "mindgames" because anyone who's halfway decent isn't going to be fazed by dashing back and forth, they'll just hit you.

5) [after winning a match with Pichu] "Wow, I could have done so much better with any other character."

I occasionally pull off a 4-stock at tournaments with Pichu; I don't get much satisfaction out of it and it often times discourages them from playing the game anymore so I don't like doing it very often.

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
Thanks !! really apreciate!!!

So you think If i dedicate enough I can pull it with Pichu. Thats nice, I mean, i dont think I can get to your level before Brawl comes out but I will make sure tu at leas be in the top 5 of my local stuff XD.

At any rate, I know that "to win tournaments, use top tier" but now that I think it, thats why everybody knows exactly how to get along in a match with a top tier, so better use something new, fresh and at least for me, really challenging.

Anyways, thank you very much, ill be sure to be here posting some videos in 2 or 3 months to ask you about my "noob Pichu" ^^

T0MMY

Smash Master
Unfortunately, everything that works on the top-tiers works even better on Pichu :^(
But, yeah, it's possible to win with Pichu, but it takes about as much effort as a full-time job and you're not going to get paid minimum wage for it, haha.

Top Bottom