• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All of the important Melee characters are back!

Is Smash Four the true sequel Melee's been waiting for? (Melee 2.0)

• Total voters

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Can you imagine if they made a trailer for Mewtwo which would have him and Lucas having a Psychic battle? That would be hype.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Lucina isn't Roy in spirit, she's Marth in spirit. Marth just hasn't left yet. Maybe she came back in time from a future that has no Marth. *plot thickens* Hm, yes. Look at that thick plot!

Also no Ice Climbers. Not perfect!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can you imagine if they made a trailer for Mewtwo which would have him and Lucas having a Psychic battle? That would be hype.
Obviously Mewtwo won

That must be why Lucas isn't in smash, he got too beat up

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Ice Climbers and Snake are honestly the only bad cuts this game has. I would throw in Squirtle and Ivysaur too just because they did have a peculiar moveset but they're not that needed.

thisdoesntmatter

Smash Rookie
If the Ice Climbers just can't be made to work from a technical standpoint, then the only character I absolutely want back at this point is Snake.

Wolf and a FE:A updated Roy would be next on my list.

Squirtle and Ivysaur would be nice too since they were unique, but they aren't really as important and we have enough Pokemon. At least from Gen 1 anyway.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
>no Our Boy (Lucina can't even hold a candle)
>no Pichu to troll with

We ain't there yet. DLC might help, of course. Until I get T3H PH1R3 and my self-destructive little nairball it won't be a true sequel.
Yeah, despite being a better character from a better game that actually has a non-Smash following, she can't even hold a candle...

the8thark

Smash Lord
Snake and IC hurt as cuts. Not cause I mained the characters, I didn't. I hardly ever played them (well compared to the rest). I mourn their loss because their move set was unique. Something none of the other characters had.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Quite honestly if Pichu got changed i would like to see him back as long as he is not as bad as he was in Melee

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Quite honestly if Pichu got changed i would like to see him back as long as he is not as bad as he was in Melee
Agreed. His self harming abilities actually made him a far more unique clone than any of the others, atleast from a gameplay standpoint. Create a Pichu who works around that without being terrible and you have an excellent character with their own individual fighting style.

It's a shame Pichu's bad rep from Melee has kept him from ever returning.

the8thark

Smash Lord
But that was the whole idea of Melee Pichu. He was the joke character, one made for the experts of the game to have a challenge with.

Dan_sika13

Smash Rookie
It's crazy just how much my hype sky rocketed once Mewtwo was announced (not that I wasn't hype since the beginning).

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
But that was the whole idea of Melee Pichu. He was the joke character, one made for the experts of the game to have a challenge with.
He was a joke character?
Inb4 Mewtwo would win. :laugh:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Obviously Mewtwo won

That must be why Lucas isn't in smash, he got too beat up
Inb4 Mewtwo would win. :laugh:
Start at 2:05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMd6wAoqsJ4

Wolf and Lucas were absolutely destroyed by Mewtwo.

Mewtwo is the reason why Lucas/Wolf were cut confirmt.

R.I.P. Lucas & Wolf :'(

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I'm stoked. Greninja, Lucario, and Mewtwo in the same game! I'm ecstatic that I can now call dub them the Bipedal Brotherhood of Neutral B Nasties! Just on the Internet though. I'll get weird looks from people if I use that in real life. Haha.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
Lucina will never replace Roy.
Pichu was fun to play with, plus he was the resident joke character.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 feels like its own thing. And if you're looking solely at how it plays in multiplayer, then I'd say it's a nice balance between Brawl and Melee that surpasses both.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Not really, melee is more about the mechanics than the characters. The characters are the same in name only.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Show me how many pro tournaments were won with Pichu and I'll agree with you. I bet it's not many or none.
How does that make him a joke character? Joke characters are put in so Sakurai can get in his surprise and have some 'lol's, him not being used at tournaments that much doesn't make him a joke characters.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
We're still missing Roy. -.- Roy may not be the most popular character in Melee, but he was still important and meant a lot to tons of people.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
But, Pichu is supposed to be a bad version on Pikachu on purpose.

If you want to be serious, you use Pikachu. If you want to give your highly unskilled little cousin a small chance to beat you, use Pichu.

That's how it works, right?

Not gonna lie man, I would have wanted Roy waaaaaay more than Mewtwo. He's just such a bad ass character.

Saiyan hair, Fire Sword attacks, the way he screams HE-YAH!! with his Neutral B, Backward Sword slash counter...dude. If his hit boxes worked he would have been something leagues better than Lucina would ever be.

No one can replace Roy. I wouldn't have played Marth if it wornt for him. Roy is that boy.

Last edited:

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Roy is hella fun in Melee and it'd be cool if he was in Smash4, but I kinda doubt it will happen after Marth/Lucina are both in. But with DLC Mewtwo in the future, who knows. Anything's possible

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
But, Pichu is supposed to be a bad version on Pikachu on purpose.

If you want to be serious, you use Pikachu. If you want to give your highly unskilled little cousin a small chance to beat you, use Pichu.

That's how it works, right?
Seeing as me and some others have been able to snag some wins with Pichu, I don't think he was meant to be the 'bad version of Pichu'. :p

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
This is game is neither Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 and it shouldn't be. It's its own thing and a damn good one.
Also about Roy...yeah, I don't see him happening. Lucina already fills his shoes as a Marth clone and at this point they are not going to add another one. And considering how (unreasonable) flak this game gets for having three clones, a second clone of the same moveset wouldn't be well received.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy was a Marth clone but unlike Lucina he actually feels different from Marth and has a different meta game. I can see him get reworked a bit like how he was reworked by the Project M team.

He could end up like how Wolf is by having unique A moves and specials similar to Marth's.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Only Ice Climbers would make it perfect for me. I liked Lucas, but I still got my boy Ness. I was never a fan of Roy, Pichu I used to troll my brothers but I troll them with C. Falcon now. I liked Young Link more than Toon Link, but whatever. Snake and Wolf were meh, I liked Squirtle and Ivy, but I'll manage.

So yes, overall, only the twins prevent this from being legit for me.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Only Ice Climbers would make it perfect for me. I liked Lucas, but I still got my boy Ness. I was never a fan of Roy, Pichu I used to troll my brothers but I troll them with C. Falcon now. I liked Young Link more than Toon Link, but whatever. Snake and Wolf were meh, I liked Squirtle and Ivy, but I'll manage.

So yes, overall, only the twins prevent this from being perfect for me.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
As long as Ice Climbers are not in Smash 4, the title of this thread is a complete lie.
Rosalina is basically Ice Climbers 2.0.
So long as she's got all the attack capability of them[sans throws] with no gimped recovery as a result of the partner dying, you don't really need IC's to return.
Heck, her partner even regens after a while if it dies.
She's quite simply superior.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Rosalina is not as messed up as the Ice Climbers were in Brawl. She just can't make me feel as satisfyingly dirty as I feel when I use Ice Climbers in Brawl.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina is not as messed up as the Ice Climbers were in Brawl. She just can't make me feel as satisfyingly dirty as I feel when I use Ice Climbers in Brawl.
Her partner never truly dies and your recovery isn't gimped if it's dead.
Plus you've got a move that forcibly distances it from you for easier set-ups.
You're one "it can grab now, too!" from having a character that could easily trounce Ice Climbers in any match-up.

How is that not "dirty"?XD

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
She doesn't frustrate your hapless victims with chain grab death set ups and generally mob your enemies like ice climbers do.

Last edited:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
She doesn't frustrate your hapless victims with chain grab death set ups and generally mob your enemies like ice climbers do.
She doesn't need to; Luma in and of itself is a far more effective partner because it can never truly be destroyed, and is a powerful projectile all on its own, in addition to being able to do death traps the same way a desynched IC's could, sans throws.

Top Bottom