• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aliens at Apex 2015

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Here is what I know so far:

These are the players from outside NA that I am in contact with that are actively planning on going to Apex

From Japan:
Moyashi :kirby64:
Kensinn21 :kirby64:
Prince :yoshi64:

From Peru
Alvin :fox64: :pikachu64: :falcon64:
Marka :pikachu64:

Other Players outside NA:
The story so far is that I promised Alvin and Marka that whoever gets the visa within 2 weeks prior to Apex, I will take care of their whole trip from Lima to USA and back. The minimum wage in Peru is about $1.50 USD, and most things in peru are about 9 - 10 times cheaper than in the US, so any trip here is extraordinarily expensive for them. (You can go out to eat for every meal in peru and spend less than $3 USD a day). Alvin split the winnings from the tournament with marka and they are both actively trying to get the visa and come to the US. I figure the cost per individual would be $1000 ($800 for ticket + $200 for food / lodging / etc). I dont want to bear this cost all on my own, since the whole community benefits from playing with these people, especially if BOTH come.

I am starting up the conversation with the Japanese about Apex soon; I will be going to Japan in 2 months and hopefully will see them there. I don't know their individual financial situation, but I am making a guess that they would rather see some good players visit Japan than have us pay for them to come here. I am planning on playing in the Kanto tournament next year so maybe other better NA players will come too :) [bane, isai, boom]. Oh Juan from Chile said he wants to go to Kanto also and will bring Mariguas.

I am thinking about making a kickstarter or gofundme or bitcoin address to take donations for the players to come to apex. I think it would be cooler to see a extra $10 fee for entering 64 that would go to these players.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
what do you think the chances are of other japanese players making the trip? like wario, ruoka, etc?

i know europe has also expressed interest, with jam and olikus basically confirmed, and fays really trying to as well.

i'm unsure about australia.

banze said he's trying to come with a larger brazilian group as well.

and since i'm close to the venue again, i can definitely provide previous-day housing and stuff, if need be.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Ruoka wants to go but at this point it looks like he cant.

I was planning on trying to help wario and gerson but then a few things happened:
Wario did bad at kanto.
After playing with both, me and boom came to the conclusion that Marka is better than gerson on Hyrule. (even before the tournament).
Marka and Alvin are the best peruvians on DL.

I think the peruvians have the special combination of being extraordinarily good at smash as well as relatively very poor.

I think any capital spent trying to get foreigners to apex should be directed mainly to people who could get top 8.
I don't think fays has a chance at top 8.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Prince? Sheer is gonna pass out.

I don't know how others might feel about the $10 extra fee at Apex to help others come, but I don't like it personally. I'll likely donate some money for one of the peruvian players (and paypal that do you or something) since the cost of living there doesn't compare to what they'd have to pay to be here a few days.

I definitely don't want to pay some extra obligatory fee at Apex to see that happen. There's a bunch of players who enter 64 just because... I know they wouldn't want to be involved.

If it's going to be like that, it makes more sense to establish a donation fund from players all over the world ahead of time, keeping everything open for everyone to see how much has been donated. Then, when there's a good amount of money in the fund, you can come up with a list of people who want to come and cant afford to. The people who donated can then vote and the top two (or however many can be afforded) get to come. You can set it up so that people who donated $10 can vote once, but people who donate $20 can donate twice and have a limit so that you can't have someone vote 5 times or some crazy amount.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I wouldn't take the japanese placings too seriously because of the whole best of one thing. I'm sure that there's a more defined order of the best japanese players if you just ask them. If wario is supposed to be one of the best in Japan, just can't instantly disqualify him from getting financial help. He'll have two brackets here and more than one game per set.

Last edited:

Olikus

Smash Champion
Since Jam barely didnt make top 8, its a pretty huge change for Fays to make top 8. He has been the comnpletely best player from Europe for ages. But people must ofc donate to whoever they like.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Another avenue that might be worth exploring is a potentially sponsorship from Clash Tournaments or one of those groups. Isai and Wizzy both are sponsored in some way (Wizzy less so for 64, but still), maybe someone with the right connections could talk to the right people? Seems unlikely since it would be such a one time thing for international players, but at least worth a shot.

Sedda

Smash Champion
afaik the people with the smaller sponsorships (clash tournaments, vgbc) don't get paid that much and I don't think they would be willing to prioritize players from a less popular game even if they were able to help international players in a big monetary way.

The bigger esports sponsors/teams that COULD give more financial support for travel expenses are (im guessing) as uninterested in giving anyone who doesn't play Melee or will play Smash 4 any kind of help. They're looking for more exposure and sadly we're not there yet.

It's worth asking, of course, but we can still do most of the leg work ourselves with at least two players.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I am willing to donate money but idk how much or to who yet. i will wait to see how this plays out to see who's for real about going and who really needs the money.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'll donate, but there shouldn't be an extra $10 fee. People pay for what they want--i.e. access to the venue and a theoretical shot at the prize money/chance to play in tourney. Paying for other people--even very good people--shouldn't be mandatory, and will lower the number of entrants.

I don't think that we'll be able to pay for both of the peruvians. Our community is too small/poor. Funding one of them is a more reasonable goal (unless a rich person comes through and is super generous, which is always super cool when it happens but we can't expect it)

Of course whatever prize money the peruvians win will have to go back to donors

Last edited:

banze

Smash Journeyman
I'll donate as well! I can donate up to 20 bucks to get peruvians/japaneses/fays there!
just want to have the best tournament.

By the way, I'm 95% confirmed to this, and I'm trying to bring Cabelo this time around!
Oxolane almost sure to come as well!

Compatible

Smash Cadet
My illegitimate business proposal... Investing in players!!

A $100 investment will get you a 20% return on your money!!!*
$15 Business (15%)
$50 Travel/Lodging (50%)
$35 Added Apex Pot (35%)

Prize money is split as following:
1) Any travel costs for that player are deducted and used to pay other investors to minimize loss
2) 20% return to investors of that player ($120)
3) Player receives remaining money!

This equals larger Apex Pot Sizes!
Highest talent to be flown in!
And I get to make 15% of all of you!

*player must win to get paid you suckers

Sedda

Smash Champion
dude just go regardless. I imagine that going to Apex and getting to play everyone on console is going to do much more than isolating yourself. that's what im hoping for anyway

HEROEdelREVES

Smash Cadet
Here is what I know so far:

These are the players from outside NA that I am in contact with that are actively planning on going to Apex

From Japan:

From Peru

Other Players outside NA:

The story so far is that I promised Alvin and Marka that whoever gets the visa within 2 weeks prior to Apex, I will take care of their whole trip from Lima to USA and back. The minimum wage in Peru is about $1.50 USD, and most things in peru are about 9 - 10 times cheaper than in the US, so any trip here is extraordinarily expensive for them. (You can go out to eat for every meal in peru and spend less than $3 USD a day). Alvin split the winnings from the tournament with marka and they are both actively trying to get the visa and come to the US. I figure the cost per individual would be $1000 ($800 for ticket + $200 for food / lodging / etc). I dont want to bear this cost all on my own, since the whole community benefits from playing with these people, especially if BOTH come.

I am starting up the conversation with the Japanese about Apex soon; I will be going to Japan in 2 months and hopefully will see them there. I don't know their individual financial situation, but I am making a guess that they would rather see some good players visit Japan than have us pay for them to come here. I am planning on playing in the Kanto tournament next year so maybe other better NA players will come too :) [bane, isai, boom]. Oh Juan from Chile said he wants to go to Kanto also and will bring Mariguas.

I am thinking about making a kickstarter or gofundme or bitcoin address to take donations for the players to come to apex. I think it would be cooler to see a extra $10 fee for entering 64 that would go to these players.
I'm glad to see this thread, and glad to see you enjoyed your stay in Peru. Life in Peru is hard, as much as in all south america. But we (south americans) try that our guests feel comfortable. And I hope they have done so.
If the peruvians (with the brazilians, japanese and europeans) players going to Apex. I think that would be the best Smash 64 tournament ever in the human history.
I really hope Marka and Alvin (or any peruvian player) can go to US.
It should be something like this:

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
There is a South American donor who is flying himself and Marka to go get the Visa hopefully within a month.

If the visa process goes through fast enough and they get it within 2 weeks of Apex, Marka will be there.
If they get it after apex then I guess he will come to apex 2016.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Good to hear. Are there good signs with the other players also?

also, Prince

Yes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom