• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alias Tournament?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
here's how it works

i'll take 16-24 entrants and some reserves. if you tend to enter tourneys and drop or not participate, i'm just not gonna even consider you (near and koro, i'm looking at you two, amongst others).

prize will be a $5 amazon gift card (or i'll make a list of stuff i can get for bing credit...it would mostly be gift card stuff anyway)

PM me your preferred alias and i will build the bracket. along with your alias, please state whether or not you want it to be seeded RANDOMLY or if you want me to actually seed. i'll take the majority decision and act accordingly.

please also provide your times of availability. since this is an alt tourney, the players won't be able to set things up amongst themselves. i will post all players' availability times in the second post. i recommend going on kaillera and hanging out there for a while, opening a chat and turning on the "alert me when someone enters my room" option. from there, you can set things up. the long way would be for me to act as a middleman and PM you both separately, which i don't want to do.

alternate setup: make a new account with your alt and post here.

etiquette: do not ask other players for their alts, and don't spoil your own alt to another player. i know things tend to snowball, so i'm asking for everyone to just keep it quiet until the tourney ends.

i think this can actually be pretty fun for everyone as long as we take it light hearted.

Rules:
1. P2P if you want or play on server, but BOTH players PM me who they LOST TO or BEAT. (or if you make an alias swf account, post here)
2. DL, PC, CJ all legal. No hyrule because bad.
3. 5 Stocks
4. 1st Round matches must take no longer than 3 days to occur.
5. Subsequent matches must take no longer than 5 days. I will grant exceptions if you are only available on weekends.
6. If you want to record matches, do not upload them until the tourney is over.

if there are logistics issues here, let me know. i'll take signups if everything looks like it'll be fine.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Should be seeded randomly and people should make another smashboards account so they can communicate with each other.

EDIT: And should be called the sociopath tourney.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
No alternate smashboards account please. This will be a mess and it's against the rules.

If cobr isn't ready to be the intermediary through PMs maybe he's not ready to host such a sociopath tourney.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'm capable of doing it, but i don't sit on my laptop answering PM's all day...and i'd hate to get a PM just as i leave and not relay the message for 6 hours.

unless you, sangoku, being a mod/staff, give "express, advance permission." and then you can ban the accounts or delete them when the tourney has concluded.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I personally wouldn't mind I guess, but real authority figures (that Han Solo likes) would probably disagree.

How about I help you? People systematically PM the both of us and the first to see would be the first to post here. I'm a good choice because: 1) I can't participate 2) the timezone difference will help.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i am not opposed to that idea and think it would help a lot.

the union is sacred. you all may also pm sangoku

clubbadubba

Smash Master
seems like maybe you need more TO's cobr. I suppose I could also serve as a PM middle man if you need one.

Sheer the sociopath comes from statements like "at least I'm having fun. That's all that matters right?"

Sangoku

Smash Master
It comes from a user who edit his post.

But yeah it basically came from this quote.

Still haven't got any pm what's wrong guys?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Because the tourney will take years to complete if we can't directly contact our opponent. Only way I'd be in is if we could find a way to directly contact each other.

Sangoku

Smash Master
How about making a fake skype account and we'll post it next to each alt's name here?

And olikus are you in NA? If not I don't know why you would join.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I`m not encouraging fake accounts on site, but I suppoooooose:
Because the tourney will take years to complete if we can't directly contact our opponent. Only way I'd be in is if we could find a way to directly contact each other.
Anyone who wanted to compete in this tournament can just use the site, Cobr can use it to host/administer.
You could make an account, Alt Tourney XX, (Alt Tourney 08 for example), and use the message system there. It would take forever sure, but you could the tournament app can handle a larger DQ period, i.e. it would email the two players to schedule the match within a week or so. You`d just have a bracket with Tourney Alt XX for each player. Perhaps when one gets double eliminated, release the real name?

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
fake emails. fake skype. fake any form of free communication service. ex

everyone should just make a fake email, have that email be forwarded to their real email automatically. done.

caneut

Smash Ace
>random user has logged off skype
>your alt opponent logs in
>"WANNA PLAY?"

Sangoku, is there any way to create a temp subforum that allows for alternate handles just for that subforum?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Not on smashboards, no.

I mean warchamp can do it obviously, but it's not like it's going to happen if we ask nicely. I don't see the problem with PMing us though.

1) Every player creates an account on their mean of communication they want (skype/mail/msn/...).

2) Every player sends me and cobr a PM with their alt and their new skype/mail/msn/...

3) Then they can contact each other through their communication service.

In fact with this method I don't even need to help cobr. Alternatively, if someone doesn't want to do that, then he PMs me and cobr when he's ready to play and we PM the opponent.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
everyone should just make a fake email, have that email be forwarded to their real email automatically. done.
PM cobr your alias and fake email. cobr posts a list of alias's and their fake emails in this thread along with the bracket. not a nightmare at all assuming people are capable of reading and writing emails. Preferably in English but there is always Google translate to fall back on if people can't manage that.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
DAY ONE TOURNYS
HOLY ****
SET A DATE UP with a time to start it
EVERYONE MEETS UP IN FU with ROB running a chat
play games

Skrlx

Smash Champion
DCT preferably. ADMINS on FU can see aliases.

wut

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i haven't received a single PM, so i'm not even gonna set up dates and times yet for when it starts/when signups close.

koro i'm pretty sure you haven't completed a single tourney in all the time i've been posting on smashboards

and what part of "do not post aliases here" is unclear

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Stoked for getting last in this

Studstill

Smash Ace
WHY! AAAAARGH. Is it literally hate? Or am I not explaining myself?
Cobr, or Sangoku, OR WHOEVER:
Go to http://Tournaments.SuperSmashBros64.com
1. Create 16 person tournament, with Alt Player 01-16.
2. Get email or phone numbers from the players (not visible to non-TO so no need for a fake account), and tell them which Alt number they are, or replace with an actual Alt name in step 1, doesn`t matter.
3. Get times that they can play, or as Combo said, just do it all at once. A 16 person tourney would take about 1.5 hours or less with this system.
4. If all at once, just enter 8 setups and hit Start. Everyone logs into DCT (since assuming there is some non EC interest, if not then obvs FU)
4b. If separate, then yeah, there isn`t a better way than a PM wall through Cobr or whoever.

Just wanted to be clear, that if everyone meets at the same time, 1.5 hours is the max tourney length via this automation.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Just wanted to be clear, that if everyone meets at the same time, 1.5 hours is the max tourney length via this automation.
Theoretically, no. Let's assume that there is a very patient and defensive player so his sets always go to game 3. If each match is on average 4 minutes and 40 seconds, and we add in 1 minute total for counterpicking, stage picking, connecting, etc. then each of his sets will last 15 minutes on average. If this player has a bad game and gets sent to losers round 1 and fights his way to grand finals from losers bracket? In a 16 player tournament, that means he has played 8 sets, not including a grand finals reset. This is a total of 2 hours.

I agree with combo that this should be attempted in person all in one day as it would be much easier to pull off. Something cool that the sf4 subreddit does is hold a specific format for online tournaments. They do a swiss bracket with everyone in it and then when that's done they take the top 8 and do a double elimination bracket with that top 8.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
it is pretty much impossible to pull everything off in one day...there are no 16 smashers who have non conflicting schedules

PM me you ****s

Top Bottom