• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ALASKA Smash Thread

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Hi hi hi!!!!!

There's a poll on Facebook on which games will have tournaments at Senshi-Con!

Vote please if you want Melee or Brawl or Mario Kart or Star Fox in!

<3

I voted for every fighting game and Mario Kart with the exception of Skullgrills since I hate Skullgrills!

Okay!

<3

It's too bad that it's Mario Kart Wii instead of 64! Now I need to practice for the Wii version lolz!

Also vote for Star Fox please! Star Fox is cool!

Like, it has AT's and stuff so it's sick I guess!

Maybe Project M too?

Kawaii!

<3 <3 <3

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS* ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*

This week will be the first of weekly Melee sessions we will be having this summer. Sessions will be on Tuesdays, the first session is May 15, at RadioShack, 8130 Old Seward Hwy Suite #105, starting at 8:30 pm. If your only obstacle is a ride to the event, I am willing to provide transport this week, please give me a call or text at 907 242 3647.

Since this is the first meet, we will be gathering feedback for how we would like to start a series of tournaments or ranbats to determine player rankings and prize money for those who place. Che_Lab and I will be the primary organizers for the tournaments since we are the top players. If you have questions or concerns, by all means, please let me or Che_Lab know so we can discuss.

YOUR ATTENDANCE IS VALUABLE AND WILL BE THE KEY FOR THE SUCCESS OF THESE SESSIONS.

gamerkid789

Smash Cadet
*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS* ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*

This week will be the first of weekly Melee sessions we will be having this summer. Sessions will be on Tuesdays, the first session is May 15, at RadioShack, 8130 Old Seward Hwy Suite #105, starting at 8:30 pm. If your only obstacle is a ride to the event, I am willing to provide transport this week, please give me a call or text at 907 242 3647.

Since this is the first meet, we will be gathering feedback for how we would like to start a series of tournaments or ranbats to determine player rankings and prize money for those who place. Che_Lab and I will be the primary organizers for the tournaments since we are the top players. If you have questions or concerns, by all means, please let me or Che_Lab know so we can discuss.

YOUR ATTENDANCE IS VALUABLE AND WILL BE THE KEY FOR THE SUCCESS OF THESE SESSIONS.
will any of these ever happen on the weekend?

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Right now we can do them on Tuesdays because we have a place to do them at. If we can find a place to do them on weekends, I'm certain everyone would be more than willing to attend those as well. But for now, we only have a place to do them on Tuesdays.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Good games tonight Smashers!
Congratulations to Caleb for taking first place, myself for placing second, and Chris Kim for placing third. The turnout was fantastic - I was expecting only seven or eight people, in fact we had eleven entries. With a few of our players out of state for the time being, the next few weeks should be even better!

If you are interested in returning, it is advisable that you bring your own controller to avoid controller johns, and it would also be helpful if anyone who is able could bring spare chairs, tables, televisions, setups, etc. Please remember however that these meet ups are for Melee only, *no Brawl*.

Tournament Results:
1st: Caleb
2nd: Matt S.
3rd: Chris K.
4th: Arthur
Tied for 5th: Alex, Luke
Tied for 7th: Manny C., Ryan
Tied for 9th: John, Manny S., Peter

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE BE AWARE!

One of the AKG players as informed me that somebody in our group was talking smack about the other games and/or players while we were there. I don't know who it was, I don't care who it was, but please. The Kitchpanich's were gracious enough to host us as they own the store, so please show your respects and keep your comments positive or to yourselves.
Thank you

Xanskar

Smash Lord
Hey, good job to you guys for running a tournament like this in coordination with AKG.
Also, good **** to Caleb for getting 3-1'd in the first set and coming back from loser's bracket

proud of all you guys

edit: steam just suggested i add mew2king because i have him on facebook, wtf

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Jason.

With all the information I gathered yesterday, all we need to decide is what would be an appropriate entry fee. In order to make it interesting, the higher the entry fee, obviously, the higher the prize money, but of course it can't be too high otherwise people won't want to participate. So what's a good amount? Somewhere around $5?

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
5 dollars is too much for weekly tournaments imo. Make it 2 dollars. Not everyone has 5 dollars but everyone has 2 dollars. Thats a quarter a day. It costs more to support those starving children in Africa. Plus if someone isnt able to get 2 dollars, other people are more willing to cover other peoples 2 dollars than 5.

With matt throwing down 10 dollars the total comes out to 32 dollars in the pot. 3rd place should get their money back. 2nd place gets 10 dollars. 1st place gets 20 dollars. For weekly thing thats very good.

:phone:

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Well it would have been $32 for this week because there were eleven entrants.
Your logic is sound though, so that's a good start.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I think $3 would be a good amount. Because $5 might be good payout, but idk if more "casual" players would want to pay a whole 5 dollars for a game they think they might not have a chance at. on the other hand, $1 would be just too little incentive imo. (this is a tournament, not a 4 hour money match for 5-10 dollars)

edit: ah, i made this before i saw those last posts. yeah 2 or 3 dollars would be good imo. btw, does anyone know if I could find the video they were streaming anywhere now? or if it was just up for that night.

edit: also matt, the reason i texted you last night asking if you were still at the tournament was because I'm pretty sure I left my signature sunglasses there, and I was wondering if anyone picked them up, or if I should head to radioshack in attempts to retrieve them.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
the difference between how AKG and you guys do it (from what I see in these posts) is that they only do games once every 2 weeks, switching between them
i.e SF and Tekken one week, then KoF and SFxT the next
so anyone who just wants to enter one game can take 2 weeks to get to play it, but you guys seem to do it weekly or something

if you do it weekly, 2 or 3 dollars

bi-weekly = 5
imo

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
@ Caleb
I saw your sunglasses and I'm not sure if I took them with me or not, I'd have to check my
car. If somebody else did, I'll have to ask everyone who was at our table by the time we all
left, namely Arthur, Chris and Pete.

@ Mike
I don't know about that song -_-

Anyway, another thing I want to figure out is how we're splitting the venue. I'm working on
talking to Banky and Bomby to see if they have a house cut to help pay for electricity, etc.
Mike suggested we have third place refunded their entry fee, while first and second place
get a 70/30 split, and that sounds pretty good. If it turns out well, within several weeks we
should think about $5 to make the first place payout much more rewarding. Right now
though, I think $3 is a good amount because, just for example, with my $10 base, plus all
the entries, if we did $2, that would be $32 total, $2 for third, then $14 and $6 for first and
second, and it seems a little small. $3 would be $43 total, $3 for third, then $21 and $9 for
first and second - that's a good amount for first place if you ask me, around $20 for ~10
entries. $5 would be $65 total, $5 third, $42 and $18 first and second, now that's
interesting.

Of course, it has to start small because it can't seem like one of the same five or six
people are just winning all this cash. But it seems we all agree $2 or $3 is the best idea
for now, and I'm leaning much more towards $3. $3 is also what AKG charges for a single
bracket entry for their games, so it would be consistent throughout the house.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
Im not gonna pay 3 dollars, ill say that right now.

also your math is wrong. if we did 2 dollars plus your 10 dollar kicker. it would be 32 dollars. 2 dollars for 3rd.

20 dollars for 1st

10 dollars for 2nd

20 bucks is more than enough for 1st place. especially for a weekly thing. WEEKLY.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
I have already done some work on my own time arbitrarily asking people what they believed
would be a fair entry fee, and the majority actually suggested $5 would be fair, especially
because it would only mean the pot would be larger, and thus the payout would be more
worth it. One of these players also conveyed to me what it means for some of these
players who are spending an hour or more driving from say Palmer or Wasilla just to be in
the presence of skilled Melee players, and the gas they spent for transport is not going to be
made up for with a pitifully small pot, even if we did a 70/20/10 split.

With that in mind, I understand that $5 is still a bit much for this early in the season, and I
agree that we should not start that high. However, Caleb and I are both in favor of $3 as our
initial entry fee and agree it is totally reasonable. $2 is still a reasonable amount, but I think
we both agree that would make the pot too small to be worth some of our participants' time.

Also, excuse me for forgetting the $10 that I will be fronting every week as a base for
tournament payout. I forgot I was being generous here.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
Depending on who shows up it will probably be the same 3 people winning anyways. Id be more inclined to believe you if the people you talked to posted here, otherwise that extra dollar is jus for money grubbers grubbin money. People winning the pot shouldnt have a say on how much the pot is. Those wasilla people arent gonna beat us. So the pot really shouldnt be an issue for them. And if you wasilla people have a problem with that statement come make me eat my words ill be there on tuesday. Finally no ones asking you to be generous so you can shut your trap on that.

I say keep it at 2 dollars and have the last tournament of the season be a big one. Like a 10-20 dollar entree fee.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Lots of big words, partially because some of them are spelled wrong, but...
I understand you want some part of this organization to be about you. However, that does not
mean you can talk smack like that about players who may want to participate with us every
week. Caleb and I are the Tournament Organizers, we have the final say on the matter.
Not you.

As far as fronting $10 every week to bulk the prize money, you should be thanking me for not
expecting somebody else to do it, and you certainly should not be mocking me for putting
forth the effort to make this work. You're a good player, Mike, but if this attitude of yours
keeps up, I'm going to have to ask you to stay out of these meetings completely. I have made
too much of an effort communicating with AKG, talking with the Kitchpanichs about using
their store as a location, communicating with specific significant individuals who I will not
mention for helping provide equipment, transportation, furniture, etc., for you to go and
blow it all out of the water because you're full of hot air.

I already received a message from AKG somebody was talking smack in the environment
and you weren't even there. Frankly I am concerned what it might be like when you are
there.

This is your only warning Mike: keep the conversation civil and friendly or you will not
participate in these events.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, about the entry fee.
I have decided that $5 is the absolute maximum it would ever be, and the probability of reaching that
point has yet to be seen. Although most of the people I have asked arbitrarily have suggested $5 or
more, the range is going to be either $2 or $3. Since our first week we had an attendance of 11
players, exceeding my expectations of a maximum of 8, and with some of our players being otherwise
unable to attend, we can assume that number of attendees will increase. However, since this is going
to be the first week with an official tournament and points going toward rankings included, we have no
way of accurately estimating how many people will be willing to participate this week as last week's
tournament happened spontaneously.

Therefore, in order to remain on the safe side of being less likely to repel newcomers or those who are
unsure of how dedicated they will be to attend these events, I have decided the entry fee will start at
$2. As time passes, we may, as a group, decide to increase the revenue and as a result increase the
payout for those interested enough to keep attending and improve their skills. As aforementioned
though, that remains to be seen.

If anybody else is interested in fronting cash to increase the payout base along with my $10 every
week, please let me know; all it would mean is that the prize money is more worth it for those who are
trying to improve.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
I would be thanking you if you werent the one winning back your money. You make it sound chivalrous but in reality youd jus get your money back so no its not.

The fact that i wasnt there should prove i wasnt the one trash talking. You should be having this conversation with the people who actually did it instead of the person who hasnt done anyhing yet. I havent done diddly squat yet so hows about you handle that first before you point more fingers. You can rightfully **** off on that.

As for the entry fee issue. If theres less than 8 people id be willing to throw down 5 if not more dollars to buff the pot.

Lastly, the smack talking that was just donewas amongst our own community. Its apart of competitive gaming. Plus i already said if they want to prove me wrong then they know the time and place to do it.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
In case you haven't heard yet, Caleb and I are exempting ourselves from prizes so that
will not happen, so I'd be careful about what you might have to say about either of us.

As for the smack talk, I already said I don't care who it was, just don't do it again. As for
you in particular Mike, you already have a reputation that precedes you, and it is a very bad
one, most especially with AKG. That's what I'm worried about. I am absolutely not putting up
with any nonsense you bring with you.

I'm being strict because it is early in the organization, and I want to prevent any even
potential source of trouble as fast as possible. I really, really really really want this to work.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
If you ans caleb get 1st and 2nd who will get the money then?

Also if YOU havent heard yet. Im in hawaii. So no i havent heard yet. In fact, that shouldve been the 1st thing to mention in the entree fee post

also, im being strict too because this prejudice could snowball into something much worse in the future. So you becareful about what you have to say.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
lol Savage and Che_Dog got first and second and Chris Kim got third so he got the money.

Duh.

They ( dunno if it was one of them or both ) put up 10 bucks of their own money that would go to the highest placing dude that wasn't either of them.

Sounds pretty generous to me.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*ATTENTION ALASKA SMASHERS*

THIS IS WEEK 1 FOR MELEE RANBATS TO DETERMINE PLAYER RANKINGS.
Meetings will take place every week on Tuesdays starting May 22. Meetings will be held at Raido Shack, 8130 Old Seward Hwy Suite #105. Players may arrive as early as 8:00pm, and tournament registration begins as soon as either Che_Lab or myself arrive and begin taking names. Tournament starts at 9:00pm. If you feel you may be late, you must contact me by call or text (cell 242 3647) in order to participate. Once the tournament begins at 9:00pm, entry will be closed.

Tournament entry fee is $2 - on top of a base of $10 plus the total revenue of entry fees, there will be cash prizes for the top two players outside the Tournament Organizers. Third place will have their entry fee refunded, and there will be a 70/30 split between first and second place.

Even if you are not interested in competing in the tournament, all players are welcome to play with us. Obviously tournament matches must take precedence over casual play, but feel free to make yourself at home, meet new friends and become a part of the community. Please bring your own controllers to avoid controller johns. Please keep all comments either positive or to yourselves, and above all - have a great time!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=322617

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
lol @ that argument. but yeah me and matt are exempting ourselves from the prize pool (for now, at least). so that means whoever got 3rd and 4th would end up getting 1st and 2nd place prizes respectively. (assuming myself and matt place 1st and 2nd) (ah, I just realized, following that logic, we would have to give 5th place their money back, which in our case is going to be 2 people since 5th place is a tie)

gamerkid789

Smash Cadet
lol @ that argument. but yeah me and matt are exempting ourselves from the prize pool (for now, at least). so that means whoever got 3rd and 4th would end up getting 1st and 2nd place prizes respectively. (assuming myself and matt place 1st and 2nd) (ah, I just realized, following that logic, we would have to give 5th place their money back, which in our case is going to be 2 people since 5th place is a tie)
lol wut!?

is there a reason for this?

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
we figured that would give people more incentive to show up. since the community is pretty small and inactive as it is. we just want to get some activity going.

ohgodx

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget they are happening every Tuesday. If you miss one, there will be more.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
"gasp" i could be moving to alaska next month?!?!

this sounds hip:)

i haven't played melee for like years though...

**starts playing melee for three days strait without sleep while gorilaz old stilo plays in background**

Top Bottom