• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska(friend codes in first post)

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Anchorage
Xanskarr: 4167-4153-9189
Kryptonic: 2835-9756-0957
Ricky: 0216-0456-4897
Banky: 0258-9952-6543
EaterOfBacon(Chris Jackson): 4682-8115-0931
adrianBlk: 0301-9517-3969
xCKx: 3652-0214-3667
DQP: 4296-2654-0692
capacity1: 3394-3377-2113

Fairbanks
Critical Hit: 2492-3979-7578

Wasilla
Orry watts: 2363-5418-6193

Juneau
jawnjawn: 5026-4119-7460
Kenjiblade: 2664-1830-9280

more coming as i ask people who haven't posted yet.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Yo I finally here from you on these boards Derek!

Its Me Mike G from NYC.....remember our team Coast 2 Coast at TG5? lol that was tons of fun teaming up with ya and i hope to see you at the next TG

But keep trying, Im sure if ya dig deeper in the snow you'll find someone over there who wants to play you in smash j/k:D

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Yeah that did suck seeing how we lost to DA in teams but you have to admit, we did really well together for two people who never met or never teamed up before. We got 7th out of 37 teams!! Thats sweet yo!!

And thanx to Boy for coming up with our team name and thanx to Sam for teaming us up.

As for the other two members of my crew, DA

Hein and I exchange all of our peach strats with each other, thats why we play so identical and he the only peach im afraid to fight. We know each other too well!!

Most of what I learned with falco came from Dave and theres some stuff that he pulls of with the bird that even I cant do!

Thats why Dave(IK GOST) is the best falco on the east side and EC MVP!!.....I had to say it:crazy:

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Sam teamed you guys up? No, I think it was me. :)

I was surprised to see Mike answer the call for someone needing a partner. I figured someone that good already had a partner all worked out or something.

But dang, winning your pool? I never would have expected that.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Oh my bad Scamp and thanx alot too. It was supposed to me be And Hein teaming up and Wes teaming up with IK GOST but he didnt go and I was really tired from getting there by bus....but I found some coffee and I was ok .

And you and Sam did really good too getting thrid place . Congrats to the both of ya.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I wouldn't be too upset on how you placed in the 1on1s. Most people don't do so well in their first big tournament. Not to mention there was so much talent that it was easy to be taken out at any time, no matter how well you play.

All I remember was I went around yelling for anyone who didn't have a partner. Of course I had my own hidden reasons for it. We didn't have enough teams to do this sweet 8-pool top-3 advance to a 24 man bracket that Matt and I developed the night before. Anyway, I found out Derek(?), or rather some dude from Alaska I didn't know didn't have a partner. That wasn't cool. Coming all the way from Alaska just to watch a bunch of smash, no way! So I got Matt to yell it out on the microphone and Mike G stepped up.

Don't feel so bad about the double elimination brackets, if in fact you did feel some dissapointment about it. From all the bi-weeklys we had before TG5 the team that won the round-robin pool for teams rarely ever won the tournament from the double-elimination brackets. I have no idea why this is.

Thanks for the props on third place. It kinda sucked losing three times in a row to Ken and Isai and then Wes and Hein when everyone was watching. But, on the other had, we were the ones that sent DA to the losers, so I know we weren't completely outclassed in that matchup, and DA vs. KaI was way more interesting than watching Sam and I lose to them three more times in a row. :cool:

DeriLink

Smash Ace
Doesn't seem like theres many Alaskians (is that a word?) want to post :(

I had something I was going to post, but then I read the word "TG" and just remembered how the only reason I couldn't go was parent permission. Well, I think I'm going to go cry silenty to myself in the corner now.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
down but not out

Wassup Lunaris; I remember we played a few matches before TG% on the Saturday. Your Falco wasn't bad. Good at mixing attacks up, very offensive gameplay, need to work on item use a little more though. Oh yeah gotta watch that temper, hehe.. I think you'd play at 100% if every game was your first game. Well at least you don't throw your controller down in the middle of a match, heheh Sam ;)

As for people improving afterwards, well everyone definitely can! Unless they go home thinking something like, "Man I got wasted at Smash... no one at that tournament has a life... I don't like this game anymore..." and of course, a lot of people went home as sullen as that.

But yeah I'm looking for some words of wisdom since I'm now living in a pretty remote area without much competition. Any advice on how to meet and find other SSBM players? If some are found, what would be the next step?

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Wow thanks for the lengthy response Lunaris; I'll have to post a longer reply tomorrow about tournaments and social gatherings as it's late here now.

As for the Sultan... nah I think you're misinterpreting what I said. Sam is the best Falco out there; I was just saying that he'd be even better if he wouldn't lose his cool every once in a while. After all he and I have played seven times in tournaments now and he's 5-2 up on me.

Also had my first UK Smashfest today! Thanks Scott for lending your house out. Went really well and will post about that tomorrow also.

SultanOfSamitude

Smash Journeyman
hehe, i wouldn't get so mad if my brother could avoid hitting me at the most inopportune times possible. That and falco kills himself too easy.. d@mn those tricky samus bomb jumps.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Alaska!

Once upon a time... I was going to travel to Alaska. I was going to have a lovely time, with the pipe-line and fish. But everything went wrong. I'm not an oil tanker, and I'm not melting snow. I am ... Teflon Climbers!

Hi Lunaris! When are you going to come down to Minnesota/Wisconsin and show us Midwest folk how to play like the ICs themselves? ;)

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, finally got the time to reply to your long'ish post from a few days ago.

Firstly and foremost I absolutely agree that we should try and post as much information into this and try and bug a mod into stickying it. Whether it would go in the Melee Tournaments or Melee Discussion section, I wouldn't know. So if there's a mod out there reading these past few posts, have a think about it. It could quite possibly build this already established community up even further.

Building a Super Smash Bros Melee Community. The key.

Will add onto what was posted a few days ago. Where to begin? Probably the most difficult part of all. Suppose I can go back to the way I found Smashboards, which was sheer luck; nearly a year ago, I just decided to type Smash Bros Tournaments into Google and whoa and behold there was Smashboards.

There are potentially tens of thousands of other SSBM players out there who may be interested in playing more competition. Unfortunately, they don't know a community like Smashboards actually exists. Fortunately there are other methods to finding an otherwise "minority within a minority". Basically video gamers playing in competitive tournaments. My favorite idea out of the three posted was:

Hang out at local video game stores and ask around, or ask if you can play Smash on a TV there.
Add on - ask the employees at the local video game store if they are willing to host a tournament in the store and possibly advertise a flyer near one of the Nintendo shelves.

Next step - After finding players.

Agreed that the idea of "loser trades off" when trying to promote the game is definitely a bad one. Essentially what happens is the quick learners soon dominate the game thus causing all the slower but potentially better players to turn their heads the other way. In a gathering of multiple players, having two or more tv's and Gamecubes set up is optimum.

Try and get every player to match up against every other player. This can build the base, so to speak, of a foundation of skills. Playing the same people, or person, over and over again gets easily repetitive and really limits adapting and play styles.

Another example of players with potential but undeveloped ideas would be when me and practically the only other person I played against for a long time, my friend Zach, used to play several months ago. The two characters we pretty much played all the time were my Fox vs his Falco. Now back before we knew about Smashboards, tiers, L-cancelling, item catching, block-throws, even C-stick smashing, and when we used to consider rolling back and forth "cheap", we still liked the game because it was competitive. Soon after, we found out about a tournament called Meleepalooza and lets just say it was a learning experience. After going two and out in singles in nearly 10 minutes I was in sheer disbelief. My first match against Botsu...? (not even sure it was him) ended with me taking one stock off him in both games. The style he used with Falco I had never imagined in my life: Short hop lasers, short hop spike into reflector to aerial-A combos. Knowledge was definitely the reason why I lost both matches so quickly and easily. Zach actually won a match by the skin of his teeth, which I might add is one of the only reasons why we continued to play on afterwards.

Basically what I was trying to get at in my example is with more variety of players, we would have gone into that tournament, known a lot more, and done much better. We knew about ground dodging, directional influence, shines, and various other skills, just not how or when to use them.

Training Players:

This is a tricky part of the process, but I agree with most of what you said. Firstly, showing the new players how to L-cancel, DI, and some tricks with certain characters is essential. Other newbie manuevers would be chaining smash attacks, constant dash attacks, being extremely aggressive and not stopping to think once, and generally complaining - "that's cheap, that's stupid". All of these can be overcome though with time. Heck, even I still abuse the C-stick with Marth upon getting frustrated.

I'd be careful about focusing extra time on certain players just because they are better than most newbie players starting out. The ones who show the most enthusiasm towards the game should be favored if any, but still favoritism isn't a smart move in the early stages.

Last Notes

Because I'm a step ahead of the other UK players knowledge wise in the game I have thought about using my worse characters against the other England players or even playing at 90% of my skill level just to "train". I haven't actually done it but have thought about it. Could be a bad idea but not really sure.

Alright reply back when ya can. Also sorry if I'm spamming this thread, maybe an idea to just start a new one and try for a sticky.

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...

0_o...

Well, I seem to be the only Juneau player here. Yes, Juneau, the capital of Alaska. Looks like Lunaris and his crew are all in the Anchorage area...

Unfortunately, there isn't much competition to speak of here. The only players in Juneau worth mentioning that I'm aware of (not including myself) are two of my friends. If anyone's interested, my friends' best characters are Fox and Peach, while mine is Marth (and before you ask, these are the characters we chose before having ANY comprehension of the concept of tiers).

Although I have been playing the game since its initial English release, I only recently became aware of the fierce online competition. As such, I feel that I have MUCH to learn in terms of techniques and whatnot.

Oh, and one other thing. Hello everyone, my name is Kenjiblade (Steve), and I'm NOT an alcoholic. :p

ROBFALCO

Smash Journeyman
I AM THE WORST FALCO IN THE NATION

What sup Lunaris remember me. Well all i got to say is that your are good with falco for being from ALASKA. YOu just got to calm down. I know you just got into the game. Its cool and all. Just keep practicing. Maybe someday you can fly to Texas for the MOAST 2. Hope to see you there.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Hi Lunaris, this is Carlos from the Soul Calibur 2 tourney and your Melee tourner up here in Anchorage. Just wanted to say that I'm finally got on the boards and your thread. Been practicing a bit with Samus, and wanted to know if you could help improve on what I've got here.

My "standard" combo I've been developing:

down throw or air forward A, down tilt A, bomb, meteor smash, down tilt A OR bomb meteor smash again. Then, depending on the character:

1) jump, turn and fire a maxed charge beam for characters between Mario and Link's weight and fall speed

2) for fast falling characters who know how to tech, forward smash (needs work, I know), for those who don't tech on landing: shoulder ram, down tilt A, jump, up A, finished with a well timed max charge beam

Add L-cancels where needed, I've had to type this twice now and I'm feeling lazy. I know theres a few places where my combo can be broken (down tilt As mostly) but I think wavedashing can negate that. If you've got suggestions I'd be grateful.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
The Mario man of Alaska, Anchorage

Hey Derek, it's me, Ian. Just thought I should post on here( I didn't think this thread would still get posts after so long). Uhhhh.....I don't really know what else to say, I didn't know you had plans for a second tourney( this time, I won't get pulled out for personal reasons, I'll fight to the end!):D. Tell me about it the next time I come to your house.

Testament

Smash Apprentice
Well, you told me about the first two hits after the down throw, your friend Derek (I think) told me you liked to link an aerial down A after a bomb, so I put all that together and built from there. It took lots and lots of experimentation, but on the up side, with a few mods to that combo, it racks up over 100% on C.Falcon if unbroken, and an almost guaranteed KO ^_^

Of the three alternative attacks you listed off of her down throw, the third is new to me, I'll have to fiddle around with that next time I have the chance. That might not happen for a few days though 'cause we're moving in to our house tomorrow, but it's on my to do list. Thanks for the tips though, I'll definitely be practicing some more.

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everyone. Just posting to say that I'm heading over to Anchorage from Saturday morning (the 15th) to Monday Evening (the 17th). I'll have to schedule some Smash-playing with Lunaris/Derek, and hopefully I'll be able to play against some fellow Alaskan players.

I live in Juneau, by the way, if anyone had forgotten.

Well, just letting everyone know. I hope to have some fun, and probably learn some new stuff as well!

- Steve/Kenjiblade

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Haha...My Marth isn't as good as it used to be, as I haven't been using him nearly as much.

Falco will probably pose more of a threat, and maybe even Luigi (though I just recently started using Luigi).

We'll just have to wait and see...

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Well, Ill have nothing better to do, so you can count on me being there, and yes, good times will be had by all.:D( Great, TWO Falcos to worry about, this will be interesting:rolleyes: )

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
I was just saying that because Sundays are usualy VERY boring for me. Sure I have my games, but I crave the need to be around my friends alot, and play games with them, so I will surley be there Sunday, plus, a new smasher to battle, can't pass that up.

Top Bottom