• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air or Ground Combat?

LORDDJINNX

Smash Rookie
Which do you prefer? Keeping your opponent in the air, or battling them on the ground.

Personally, I like to keep my opponents in the air. I use Marth, and though his ground combos are very good, I have found that he is excellent and maintaining air combat. Not necessarily staying in the air, but keeping the opponent in the air.

The main reason i like to keep brawlers in the air is cause most of the time their moves are limited AND they are "stunned" or have yet to recover from the previous hit, and cannot make an attack.

Your thoughts?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I use Sheik so I prefer to keep my opponent on the ground until I'm just about to kill him with one of my aerials; unfortunately this is much hard to do in brawl with the lacking of "stun" on many moves.

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
It totally depends on what character you use. Like when I use Ike, I stick to a lot of air moves and then move to ground based stuff when I want to go for the KO. Although when I use Ganondorf almost all my moves are grounded.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Ground for me as I like to wait out and find my oppertunities. Though this is mostly with Ike.

However when I play Samus then most of my game is arial as Samus has a lot of good arial combos she can chain.

LORDDJINNX

Smash Rookie
Point taken. I guess it does matter which character you use, true.

I recently got the game, so I haven't really had the opportunity to play all the characters yet.

studly

Smash Ace
I use G&W

id probably say that i sue ground attacks more...like the man hole and the dashes
but i have also meen know to use alot of his Air moves...especially the turtle and trampoline

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
I agree. This completely depends on the character. Ganondorf for example can only use his ground combat. His Air attacks are far too laggy to really approach with so for Ganondorf users, approach with a dash attack, flame choke, wizard's foot, etc are their main options.

Faster characters benefit from using their more powerful air attacks such as Fox, Marth, Toon Link, etc.

I find the pros to air combat more appealing than ground combat. Edge Guarding is what makes fast characters so deadly, as a very large portion of their KOs are from keeping their foe off the stage. Most fast characters have sub-par smash attacks, leaving edge pressure their only KO option at lower percentages.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
It depends on the character. Some may start on the ground, then follow up with an aerial, and finally finish up with a smash on the ground. Others may find the first and third steps unnecessary.

chompskyhonk

Smash Rookie
when you say keep them in the air you're just talking about juggling its one technique you shouldnt rely on one technique to win. you gotta switch that **** up keep your opponent on his or her's toes.
ya dig?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
'pends who I am.
When I'm Mario, I'm mixed.
When I'm MK, I do mostly Air combat.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Overall ground time is usually higher, but I think I do most of my combat (the meaningful combat, at least, not just random hits to score damage) in the air.

Top Bottom