• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air movement

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Hey, relatively new Puff player here and I'm just wondering how people like Hbox move so fast in the air whereas I cannot. It's relatively frustrating and also what are some good things to practice over and over again on Puff so I can perfect her at least from an objective standpoint (subjective meaning actual real players).

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
Hey, relatively new Puff player here and I'm just wondering how people like Hbox move so fast in the air whereas I cannot. It's relatively frustrating and also what are some good things to practice over and over again on Puff so I can perfect her at least from an objective standpoint (subjective meaning actual real players).
What kind of quick arial movement are you talking about? Can you explain better or find a video of HBox/Puff doing the movement you mean?

I know a lot of Puff players like to use bairs and nairs while moving in the air in an almost circular movement of the joystick. Just a lot of spamming moves to have a continuous input of arial attacks (Wall of Pain).

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Well, I'm a prime newbie myself but one way of speeding your game with puff is by making sure you L-cancel every Arial move you throw out. That will make sure you spend even less time on the ground which is good for anyone playing jigs. Hope that helps!

Kame-Sennin

Smash Rookie
With Puff it's almost more important to be patient and cautious in general. Though... now that I think about it I'd say Puff is even more of a glass cannon than Falco. If you get a hit in, just stay with your opponent and cover their options in the simplest way. Don't get too caught up being a speed demon like some Fox/Falcon players might. Just mah two cents.

Massive

Smash Champion
Puff's aerials can come out very quickly after a jump, that's probably what you're attributing to air speed.

You can input a jump and then toss out an aerial nearly instantly then do it again very quickly.

A thing to practice if you're very new to puff is staying airborne. Puff's SHFFL is not that useful, and it is not wise to use in most situations. Stay low and airborne, land in autocancel timing from nair or with no aerial out. Puff is not like other characters who need to land after shorthops to prevent vulnerability, you have extra jumps to exploit and fast, effective hitboxes to use.

That being said, Puff is probably the hardest viable character to play at a high level, so hard that there's only one top level puff player (Hbox), good luck.

ChumSSBM

Smash Rookie
Always throw out aerials whenever you jump. Also don't use all your jumps before you become grounded, if you use all 5 jumps they become weaker and weaker which will make you slower in the air.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Puff can auto cancel her back air and her nair from a short hop
The back air can be fast fallen to cancel the lag a few frames earlier then if not fast fallen (be warned, if you mess up you will be stuck in landing lag)
The same is true for nair, however, the window for nair is about 2 frames.
The window to auto-cancel bair is approx 6 frames
I figured out that puff could auto-cancel both of these moves by playing the game
I then determined what I believe to be the actual frame window to auto cancel from the frame data project.
If someone would like to check my work with TAS it would be greatly appreciated.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
puff also moves faster with an aerial out than without one being used
99% sure this is wrong.
The same is true for nair, however, the window for nair is about 2 frames.
The window to auto-cancel bair is approx 6 frames
I figured out that puff could auto-cancel both of these moves by playing the game
I then determined what I believe to be the actual frame window to auto cancel from the frame data project.
If someone would like to check my work with TAS it would be greatly appreciated.
All of this is wrong. Or I don't understand what you're saying. Frame data can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/303202/
Auto cancel window for nair is 20 frames. 14 for bair.

EDGE CANCEL AND WAVELAND help aerial mobility around platforms a lot. Edge cancel lets you hit with a quick aerial and keep on moving. Waveland lets you create trickier movement patterns, and also lets you fake an aerial, waveland on (and right back off) a platform, and THEN attack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom