• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aiming for #1 (I need help finding trainning material)

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
I played melee as a casual player years ago, now I'm coming back kicking up the notch aiming to become first but melee is such a technical and a big game that require alot of skills that I don't even know where to start, I'm planning on mastering Fox first (cause he has the most options) and then have falco or marth as my pocket. Does anyone want to personally help me train or link me to a guide?
I'm really confident in my own skills, I can feel myself improving even with a crappy xbox 360 controller and dolphin and im getting faster (just by randomly playing with cpus, I havent practiced a specific technique or anything) and im getting a crt tv.
im only asking this because if its one thing i suck at, it's self learning. I can find a lot of guides but I just want straight forward guides on not just fox but on technical things as well (basically everything you have to know to be successful) and that it really helps

TLDR
please support me and wish me for the best guys, just skim through to get the gist of it at the very least.
I accept all encouragements, discouragements, tips and tricks. I have lots of time to spare
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
in short
I want to be a professional melee player and im aiming to be number one and I need help, I have no problems with practicing at all and i'm confident in my abilities I just suck at finding the sources to practice

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
First off, you can say all you want about getting better. You aren't using a proper setup so there is no way to know if the skill you are picking up now is even helpful.

GC controller and a CRT. If you are going to go to tournaments, that's all they will use of course. But I assume you already know that.

It's going to take a LONG time to be even decent at this game. If you are going to be dedicated to it, then I suggest you start with learning basics (of course, on an actual setup.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

Learn all of the above, and then start studying others or playing people. Once you learn what makes your character, THEN you should read the above linked guide by meebius.

Last edited:

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
First off, you can say all you want about getting better. You aren't using a proper setup so there is no way to know if the skill you are picking up now is even helpful.

GC controller and a CRT. If you are going to go to tournaments, that's all they will use of course. But I assume you already know that.

It's going to take a LONG time to be even decent at this game. If you are going to be dedicated to it, then I suggest you start with learning basics (of course, on an actual setup.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

Learn all of the above, and then start studying others or playing people. Once you learn what makes your character, THEN you should read the above linked guide by meebius.
right now I have a seller that's going to sell me his crt tv but he's outta town right now
im using emulator and 360 controller at the moment because I don't have melee yet

Last edited:

meebius

Smash Apprentice
You can get a CRT from Goodwill for like 5 bucks. You really shouldn't be paying an absurd amount for one

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I played melee as a casual player years ago, now I'm coming back kicking up the notch aiming to become first but melee is such a technical and a big game that require alot of skills that I don't even know where to start, I'm planning on mastering Fox first (cause he has the most options) and then have falco or marth as my pocket. Does anyone want to personally help me train or link me to a guide?
I'm really confident in my own skills, I can feel myself improving even with a crappy xbox 360 controller and dolphin and im getting faster (just by randomly playing with cpus, I havent practiced a specific technique or anything) and im getting a crt tv.
im only asking this because if its one thing i suck at, it's self learning. I can find a lot of guides but I just want straight forward guides on not just fox but on technical things as well (basically everything you have to know to be successful) and that it really helps

TLDR
please support me and wish me for the best guys, just skim through to get the gist of it at the very least.
I accept all encouragements, discouragements, tips and tricks. I have lots of time to spare
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
in short
I want to be a professional melee player and im aiming to be number one and I need help, I have no problems with practicing at all and i'm confident in my abilities I just suck at finding the sources to practice
I'd love to personally help you, you can add me on skype (beywars). Anyway, first of all, get a GC controller, get a CRT (craigslist has a lot of free ones, never pay more than like 10 bucks). Learn the fundamentals of your character, your tech, your applications, which moves work and which don't, etc. I can go further into detail with this if you contact me personally.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
So for some reason my flat backed tv has the same amount of lag as a crtv so I guess I won? Anyways, you just shouldn't even touch dolphin. Just put down your Xbox controller, and just watch top level players. Become familiar with keeping up with fast movement. When you get all your stuff. Just grind like you never have before. Practice as much as you need to consistently wavedash, l cancel(especially Fox), SHFFL, and dash dancing. After this period of scrubbyness, you will start to have better control over your character. Now, that you have learned the things to know at this point go out there and get bodied? Even though you have better fundamentals, you did not expect to be double fourstocked by a guy I whooped on in friendlies. The problem with your gameplay has to do with psychology. Lets say you are falco vs Marth on fd. You are always approaching with n-air, So marth wavedashes back and fsmashes you and you have no DI and your dead. Now you learn more character specific things and study the concept of neutral, baits, and applying pressure. So after all this, just keep going to events and you are going to notice you just got top 8 at tournament finally. This is really about staying on the grind and being patient with your improvement. Good Day

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
https://m.facebook.com/groups/209198555783942?view=permalink&id=876190102418114

Figured I'd share this post from my community. You want to get good? Like, actually good at this game? That has pretty much everything you'll need. Knock yourself out.
nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu it says

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page. T_T

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
I would travel to tournaments but A I need to practice and master the basics and B I don't have any funding whatsoever :/ im only 16 years old

Top Bottom