• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ai

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=4932]AI[/drupal]

Every time I play Melee by myself, the phrase "Artificial INTELLEGENCE my ***!" almost always enters my mind. I'm aware the cpus "learn" from you, but their rate of "learning" is ungodly slow. Four months after my data last went corrupt, I saw a cpu do an shl (I had no idea that was possible, I didn't know they were programmed to do that).

The more I do something such as short hop, powershield, or something like that, the more the cpu does it. I shot 168 lasers in the match prior. If I shot such high amounts of lasers on a regular basis, could it be possible to get a cpu to do it regularly? Or are cpus actually not programmed to shl and I mearly experienced a glitch?

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
Did you learn to wavedash?
just asking.
Yeah, I've learned. I wavedash constantly, even when it's completely unneccessary.

If you were hinting that maybe we could teach a computer to wavedash, I don't think so. Every time I see a computer airdodge, they stay in place instead of moving. Since they are APPEARANTLY not programmed to move in a direction whilst airdodging, it would, sadly, probably be impossible to teach them to wavedash. If that's not what you were getting at, sorry for wasting your time, lol.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
CPUs don't "learn" anything. They already have a set intelligence and anything else they do is a mere response to your inputs.

And yes, CPUs occasionally wavedash.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
CPUs don't "learn" anything. They already have a set intelligence and anything else they do is a mere response to your inputs.

And yes, CPUs occasionally wavedash.
Hence the quotations. I was refering to the fact that there are many things and also some basic combos that they very rarley, or in some cases, never do unless they see you do them.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
It's not them copying you; it's not a goddamn Kirby game. It's merely their response to whatever input you gave them to calculate an appropriate response for. ( Like airdodging and aiming down. It's not that complicated. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-awyAAQ3Rj8
I know that. I was just saying that every time my data gets corrupted, there are many things they never do until I do them. That's what I said in the first place. In case you haven't noticed, you're actually just repeating what I initially said, but using different words.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=4932]AI[/drupal]

Every time I play Melee by myself, the phrase "Artificial INTELLEGENCE my ***!" almost always enters my mind. I'm aware the cpus "learn" from you, but their rate of "learning" is ungodly slow. Four months after my data last went corrupt, I saw a cpu do an shl (I had no idea that was possible, I didn't know they were programmed to do that).

The more I do something such as short hop, powershield, or something like that, the more the cpu does it. I shot 168 lasers in the match prior. If I shot such high amounts of lasers on a regular basis, could it be possible to get a cpu to do it regularly? Or are cpus actually not programmed to shl and I mearly experienced a glitch?
That's my point. It doesn't learn, and it doesn't do techs regularly. It's just a random computer input.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
That's my point. It doesn't learn, and it doesn't do techs regularly. It's just a random computer input.
I know it doesn't learn, that's why learn is in quotations. Putting learn in quotations seemed a lot faster than saying that it often times won't perform a specific technique untill you do it yourself (At least that's what happens to me every time my data goes corrupt).

You just misunderstood what I meant by it, let it go.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I was trying to emphasize the "regularly" part.

Either way, this should have been in the Melee forums.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
I was trying to emphasize the "regularly" part.

Either way, this should have been in the Melee forums.
I don't really see why, I just told a short story about something I experienced and asked a question at the end out of slight curiosity. I wasn't attempting to start a ten page discussion about the subject, I was just telling about something I'd never seen before. Either way, accidents happen.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If they did a SHL, then they are programmed to SHL. No alternatives.

It is not possible to get the CPU to do anything outside of their core programmed options. They will never copy or learn anything from the player, ever.

Top Bottom