• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AI suggestion

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Now this is something i tried programming myself but failed miserably.

What IF you could pick a Name/TAG for a CPU and instead of the usual fox AI or Ike AI or messed up Ice climbers AI.

You can play Ally's Ike (because of the Ally tag that ally used 5 matches against you )
Or the Tasteless gentleman's Bowser
Or Fumbles' Ice climbers with the infinite hand offs.

You play an opponent and they use a tag, after 5 or so games, the AI will hold a percentage of what the opponent has done in past matches and will choose an option.

I hope i am making sense. Basically aside from Fox AI, im saying the AI doesnt do exactly what players would do. So if the AI would mimic certain players like XYK's luigi or M2K's Shiek or Odd's bowser, then i think as a community we would all improve drastically. I am guessing this has been mentioned before but i never saw this idea thrown out so i am.

Does this sound doable or absolutely no way?

Life

Smash Hero
Not a modder, but I'm pretty sure Brawl AI does not remotely work that way.

I would like to see a lot more people get into PM and Melee AI work, competing to make the most challenging yet lifelike AI possible, but sadly there doesn't seem to be much interest in that.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
This is not possible.

However, FifthCPU FifthCPU I believe has shown that different behaviors can be individually assigned to particular levels of CPU (so a level 9 could be made to behave differently than a level 1, instead of only having reaction time differences), and both he and @KingClubber have done an abundance of work on improving the AI both overall and for specific characters (such as Fox).

I do not believe what you propose is not remotely feasible using Brawl.

FifthCPU

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tag, Binary Clone Binary Clone ! So yeah, AI doesn't work this way. It is possible, however, to make different levels of the AI play completely differently. I've experimented with making level 7s DI randomly and it worked, and having a completely different neutral for different levels would be possible. Here are the issues:

1. Drives up file size a pretty big amount, if levels were truly playing differently. I've never run into issues with file size while modding AI before, but I feel like this might start making it difficult.
  2. HUGE amount of work. Making one really good, effective bot takes a ton of time and testing, and this would be like making multiple, but adding code to distinguish between levels as well.
That being said, I (and I can't speak for KingClubber, but I'm guessing he feels similarly) would love to accomplish such a thing. It would be AWESOME. And again, totally doable, I don't doubt that this will be created at some point.

As far as learning and changing the AI between games or by tag, that is not possible at this point, or in the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, Brawl's AI is simply not set up in a system designed to accommodate something like that :( . But hey, there have been breakthroughs in the past, so who knows. The most I try to do with that is design a huge wealth of options for any situation into a bot I make so it feels much more "human," but beyond that I don't know.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Speaking of, FifthCPU FifthCPU , did you ever finish the Squirtle AI to your satisfaction? I love reading about that stuff, and as an ex-Squirtle main I'd love to see what could be done with it.

Last edited:

FifthCPU

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of, FifthCPU FifthCPU , did you ever finish the Squirtle AI to your satisfaction? I love reading about that stuff, and as an ex-Squirtle main I'd love to see what could be done with it.
http://smashboards.com/threads/fifthcpus-custom-ai-discussion-workshop.418281/

Shameless self-plug for thread where I store my AI and Kingclubber and I discuss AI stuff. I haven't edited the main page or reuploaded lately, so the bot is up there, but its a version where I accidentally dropped an "if" statement, causing it to crash the game frequently. I've been meaning to upload a fix, probably will do so within the next few days. Its still pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom