• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against your opponent's shield...

Diglob

Smash Cadet
...would you pillar? Or would you do a JC grab out of a shine? I haven't gotten the chance to experiment, so I was wondering what you guys prefer. Maybe you could give a why, but then this would be like homework. Don't you hate those questions that you just think "Geez, I could do this in my sleep!" and then they say "If so, why?" and then you think "I DON'T WANT TO WRITE ALL OF THIS CRAP OUT, IT'S SO EASY!!!"

>_______________>

Right. Pillaring or reflectoshine?

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Lets take a moment to balance the odds:

Pillaring cons-

Harder to do
possible to be shield grabbed out of
possible to make a mistake and cause a possible SD, not JC leaving you wide open etc

Pillaring pros-

Combo-able if your enemy puts his shield down
possible to shield break with a large amount of both luck and skill leaving your enemy wide open for several seconds

Grabbing cons-

falcos grabs all suck
easy to break out of
easy to dodge followup attacks

Grabbing pros-

falcos grabs can become combo-able depending on your enemies DI
can get enemy off ledge depending on the throw used

So pillaring is more extreme advantages and disadvantages, where as grabbing provides smaller lashback and gain. I think it all depends o the situation. If your enemy has a lot of damage go for a grab and throw them off the ledge. If they have low damage go for a pillar or even a possible shield break depending on your skill level.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
I use pillaring if they then at that moment JUST put up their shield to defend against me.

If they had it up for a little bit, I grab them and start a combo off that If I can.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
OMG, that blue color lookz crazy on my Classic Smashboards Skin...

Uh, JC Grab, cuz yeah, unless you are Double Shining in the pillar, then they can easily roll out.

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
I want to try double-shine pillaring...but there's not c-stick in training mode, so I can't use the starman thing. >.>

PS: Falco's grabs don't suck IMO...up-throw is good if you are good at reading DI, back-throw is kinda decent...cause you can f-smash, or...do another grab. Down-throw is good if your opponents don't tech. Down-throw is also good for tech chasing, (down-throw, read opponents DI and tech, SHL, go in for another grab and down-throw, etc.)

Anyway, I think it would be good to mix it up, that's what I do, anyway.

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
i would say depending on your oppenent, if you fighting a person you can combo then most likly pilar, but know there are ways to grad still no mater how fast you do it. a grab is save and you can combo from some of them.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Down throw is useless people can tech it. So pillaring is your best choice. You have to know how to shffle though.

To DROLIAN I plillar with a. IMO it's just easier. But don't worry about pillaring with double shine dair's. Just practice dair to shine (needs to be sffled)

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know how to shffl and pillar...but double shining is faster isn't it? And saps shields better I think.

And as I said, you can tech-chase with downthrow. You downthrow them, watch and read their tech while jumping/dash-dancing around, and laser them again, d-throw again, read their tech while dash-dancing or hopping around, and laser to d-throw again.

It builds up damage, BECAUSE they tech.

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
you said anything about down throw... have you every heard of up throw to lets say fox... you run and shine them or you can up air (witch is the same effecft as the last hit in falcos shine combo) then do what every you need to kill him.

Top Bottom