• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

afasdf

xianfeng

Smash Hero
zodiak lucien said:
Young Link – Now this one I know I am going to get some back talking for this. To be honest I don't see why everyone likes Young Link. He is Link.....but younger. Sure he is used a lot in the Zelda games and can get a unique moveset but why do that? He is a waste of character slots.
And Shiek is zelda but in disguise and you have her as a seperate character and Zero Suit Samus is samus in differnt clothes but you have her as a seperate character mr. hypocrite.
How the hell could you think that 'rather under certain circumstances she removes her suit' and 'not a pure character addition' mean she is a brand new pure character, it really was very obvious Zamus is a seperate character.

Zodiak-Lucien said:
the render I used is fine...he doesnt look that bad in the game. Besides its not like thats the offical style he is going to be in the game. That was just the best render I could find, and I am not changing it. It is not that big of a deal.
yes it is, because when he used that render he was a jack arse who wanted to beat people up for no reason, when he used the render I posted he was a kind caring kong who enlisted in the help of his friends and family, plus the render you used is ugly.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
And Shiek is zelda but in disguise and you have her as a seperate character and Zero Suit Samus is samus in differnt clothes but you have her as a seperate character mr. hypocrite.
How the hell could you think that 'rather under certain circumstances she removes her suit' and 'not a pure character addition' mean she is a brand new pure character, it really was very obvious Zamus is a seperate character.
Actually, the wording of that is a little vague in that we don't know exactly what the transformation may be. For all we know, the development team might end up deciding to make her a seperate character anyway. And xianfeng, this is ZodiakLucien's personal choices so you can't call him a hyprocrite just because he decided that certain characters should be in two forms and not others.

yes it is, because when he used that render he was a jack arse who wanted to beat people up for no reason, when he used the render I posted he was a kind caring kong who enlisted in the help of his friends and family, plus the render you used is ugly.
Don't you think you might getting a bit obsessed with the whole Donkey Kong render thing?

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Both characters, though the same character in lore, are completely different in play style, appearance and they really should be apart.
Sheik uses martial arts, while Zelda uses magic. HUGE difference between the two.
Zero suit samus is the same deal. They are the same person but they play and look so much different they could easily be called a whole different character. you can not say that about young link.

xianfeng said:
'rather under certain circumstances she removes her suit' that IS vague and could EASILY be talking about in the metriod series. She IS NOT a pure character addition because its another version of samus.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I've pointed this out before, but it's been awhile.
Shiek would not get into Brawl on her own merits.

She is a minor aspect of part of one game, which was the best Zelda ever for an entire generation, but looks to be soon passed up by Twilight Princess.

You basically saw her 30 seconds at a time, 7 times in the game. That's three an a half minutes, before she revealed herself as Zelda. The ONLY way Shiek could get in Brawl is to continue hanging on Zelda's Coattails. As a separate character, she doesn't pass muster.
You're absolutly right. Sheik can't really make it in on her own. I believe the only reason she made it in was because while working on Zelda, Sakurai said, "You know what'd be cool...?" And Sheik as a character was born. I do believe, though, that she will make a reappearance, but remaining Zelda's transformation.

On topic: I loved your list, although I disagree with...

Sheik and Zelda being seperate
Samus and Zamus being seperate characters
The return of Mr. Game and Watch.

Regarding the last one, I don't have anything against Mr. GaW, but I think it's pretty obvious he was meant as a jokey, cool to learn about secret character, but having him reappear in Brawl would be spreading the idea thin.

NeMo =)~

Smash Apprentice
Young Link – Now this one I know I am going to get some back talking for this. To be honest I don't see why everyone likes Young Link. He is Link.....but younger. Sure he is used a lot in the Zelda games and can get a unique moveset but why do that? He is a waste of character slots.
As soon as I read that I stopped reading your thread.
How about this Mr. Inconciterate...
To be honest I don't see why everyone likes Link. He is Young Link.....but older.

I even used the same sentence structure you did, just incase you aren't able to read very well.

Good day.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
To be honest I don't see why everyone likes Link. He is Young Link.....but older.

I even used the same sentence structure you did, just incase you aren't able to read very well.

Good day.
Dude, why are you getting so butt-hurt over his opinion? It's just what he's deciding. Link was in the original, he's got better moves, and Young Link is just a minor tweak clone. He's got good reasons for deciding to remove him in the Brawl list he made up. Quit getting all antsy.

Anyway.

The selection screen was badass, and I gotta give you props for that. I don't like the removal of Roy, but let's face it, he's a pretty bad clone anyway.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright Great list. I love so many things about it. You used the "super Armor" rule for Bowser, and you worked to improve and nerf some of the most pertinent things about the game.

And I absolutely LOVE that you make the two Samus's separate. I hate Z.S. Samus with all my heart, but if I have to have her I like her being a separate character so that if I feel like playing with Samus, I don't have to deal with any kind of transformation bull. Samus is major enough that she can manage to have four full specials without having to resort to a transformation.

Now, on that note, I wish that Zelda and Sheik were still together. You kept ICs (which I love) because they are THE most unique characters in the game, but you got rid of the OTHER most unique character in the game, Zelda/Sheik, by making them separate.

The fact that they are so different only serves to highlight how they are supposed to go together. Really, Here's what they should do:

Keep them together, but make the transformation between them almost instantaneous so that there is real incentive to use both characters while playing. Then you can make the individual characters over in such a way that they are useless without eachother, but together make a deadly comibation.

For Sheik, They should nerf her up so that she is just as fast, and just as combo-heavy, but she has no KO-worthy moves, even at high percentages, she also might have pathetic defenses so that there is incentive to switch back to Zelda and play defensively every so often.

For Zelda, They should keep her slow, and keep her hard-hitting, and basically keep her the same, except raise her defense to complement Sheik's relative weakness in that area. Basically, make her Sheik's nearly exact opposite.

Together, their playstyle would change dramatically. Players would find a plethora of Sheik-into-Zelda-into Sheik combos and others who had only used one or the other before, would be forced to adopt the way the character was meant to be played, rather than merely using the monster that Sakurai created in Sheik.

I've felt this way ever since Melee first came out and I was trying to use Zelda and Sheik together.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
He's still a hypocrite, he removed Young Link on the basis that it is Link but younger but he included Zero Suit Samus and Shiek as seperate characters which are just alternate forms of already exsisting characters.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
He's still a hypocrite, he removed Young Link on the basis that it is Link but younger but he included Zero Suit Samus and Shiek as seperate characters which are just alternate forms of already exsisting characters.
But you're looking at the forest for the trees.

He's not serious when he says, "Well, it's just like him..but...not." It's just a general idea that states what we're all thinking - Young Link really isn't as unique as the other clones (Gannon, Roy, Dr. Mario, etc), and there's little reason to keep him unless they made major changes. Quit being so literal.

Stop acting like he's completely excluding logic just because he's not making it glaringly obvious. He's just saying what many people are thinking.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
No good reasons to exclude him he is less of a waste then Zero Suit Samus and Shiek in his Cell Shaded appearance.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
No good reasons to exclude him he is less of a waste then Zero Suit Samus and Shiek in his Cell Shaded appearance.
I have to diagree with that. Lets just look at the characters and their playstyle.

Samus: is inside a bulky cybernetic suit and uses various devices in connection with that suit.
Z suit Samus: Same character but is now out of the suit making her faster and she now uses a combination laser gun/energy whip as her waepon.

Zelda: royal princess that uses a variety of magic spells
Sheik: same princess but is now fighting in a ninja like style with needles and such as weapons.

Link: Uses a sword as his main weapon along with other tools like a boomerang, hookshot, etc.
Cel Shadeed Link: slightly smaller person who uses a sword as his main weapon along with other tools like...hold on, this seems familar.

Arguments of who is more deserving aside, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would be no worse then Cel Shaded Link as characters since they both have unique fighting styles. The best Cel Link could proabily do is become a luigified clone of Link.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
I have to diagree with that. Lets just look at the characters and their playstyle.

Samus: is inside a bulky cybernetic suit and uses various devices in connection with that suit.
Z suit Samus: Same character but is now out of the suit making her faster and she now uses a combination laser gun/energy whip as her waepon.

Zelda: royal princess that uses a variety of magic spells
Sheik: same princess but is now fighting in a ninja like style with needles and such as weapons.

Link: Uses a sword as his main weapon along with other tools like a boomerang, hookshot, etc.
Cel Shadeed Link: slightly smaller person who uses a sword as his main weapon along with other tools like...hold on, this seems familar.

Arguments of who is more deserving aside, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would be no worse then Cel Shaded Link as characters since they both have unique fighting styles. The best Cel Link could proabily do is become a luigified clone of Link.
you're right on this. they are different characters. but i agree that sheik doesnt make it in on her own merit as someone already said. the thing is that they should just keep zelda and sheik together, and save an actual character slot for a more worthy character.

while i disagree with the cel link idea, i think he can be luigified to some extent in order to make it in to brawl.

his grab for example, could be the grapple in windwaker. this, if they allow it, can let cel link grab characters in mid air if they give you control of the direction you aim, and add to combo possibilities.

he could use a variation of the weapons from the four swords like the rod or something to replace one of the other weapons or use that instead of a sword (just an idea)

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Zodiak-Lucien, here are my responses to some of your points.

1. Zelda and Sheik won't be separated by any means. As mentioned, Shiek was just in one game of the huge LoZ franchise. Like several of the points mentioned, Zelda would lose her indivisuality if she lost her Shiek move. I fail to see why you think she can't become shiek AND get new Twilight princess moves. If anything, Shiek will be dropped as it looks like she won't be used again in that franchise. Also, it is wasting space. Why have them take up two spots when last time they took up one?

2. I, too, think there should be more DK characters. you failed to give a good reason why K. Rool shouldn't be in it. He has cannon guns, boxing moves, the CHAOS robot, a boomerang crown, etc. The Star fox franchise, while good, has less games than the DK franchise. Krystal is a must, but Wolf probably won't get in.

3. Samus and Zero Suit Samus won't be separated. It says under certain conditions that Samus will change. How do you get "it will be a separate character" from "Samus will change under certain conditions"? You fail. Making them have one character spot will make it so another character can get in.

4. Okay, you don't like Samurai Guroh, but Jody Summer and Black Shadow still hold priority over Deathborne.

5. Mother 3 came out, Japan loved it, they are putting music from the game in SSBB, fans are trying to bring it to America, and you don't include any character from there? C'mon now.

All these points were said, I know, I just wanted to tell you myself.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
I am getting better arguements then I expected with the sheik and zelda thing. I somehow did not consider the fact of making the switch instaneous. I will not be ignorant and I now have changed my mind and agree that they should be together as one character. I just really hated the fact that everyone chose Zelda just for sheik.

Super Cool, you are right, I do think there should be more representation of the DK francise and earthbound francise. Like I said earlier Wolf is my favorite star fox character and I really see him as a great character, a lot better than K Rool. I did not include K Rool for peronal reasons, my reasons are all opinion. I do not see him better than anyone on the list to sacrifice. Since I will be combining Zelda and Sheik, there is a spot open so I will consider him.

For Earthbound I already stated earlier that I really did consider it. I did not include Lucas because he seems like the Squall to Cloud of the Final Fantasy series. Lucas is just the new generation of Ness. Or at least how I see it. I do not know any other characters from Mother 3 NOR have I played the game. So it is hard for me to understand what all the characters are capable of. I do understand where you are coming from though.

I specifically said I do not want the whole Z.S.Samus arguement here but I will repeat myself again. You are looking at it too directly. If you see the whole "not a pure character addition" and "under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit." that is in the 1ST paragraph. Why does that have significance? Because if you look at all the other characters it talks about them in THEIR games. So have you ever considered that "not a pure character addition" is because she is another version of Samus and that "under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit." refers to the Metroid games she comes from? My answer is no, because you looked at it too directly and never considered it could be talking about a different game.

I am going to be blunt, black shadow is a batman wanna be who took a few too many steriods. He is a horrible generic character design and I probably despise him more than Gorah. I completely forgot about Jody Summer. The main attraction about Deathborn is that he would bring Ganondorf's old play style back into Brawl. I guarentee that Ganon is going to be revamped, but there is a lot of us who really liked Ganon's playstyle. This is a battle of preferance, I see nothing wrong with Jody Summer.

I will update my list shortly with my decision on who gets the extra slot. All of you (well most) are bringing forth impressive arguements so keep them coming. I do read them and they do affect my list. I am also really happy to see people actually defending me. ALSO THING TO REMEMBER, IF I COULD I WOULD KEEP ALL RETURNING CHARACTERS FROM MELEE. We all know that some people have to be cut, those are the ones that I see have to take the hit and go.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
As to Earthbound Characters, there are a few ways to go about that.

EB characters are basically separated into two catagories, PSI users, and non-PSI users.

PSI characters are, of course, Ness, Paula, and Poo in EB1(Mother 2), Ninten and Ana in Mother 1, and Lucas and Kumatora in Mother 3.

Non-PSI characters are characters like Teddy and Loid in Mother 1, Jeff in Earthbound(Mother 2), and Duster and Boney/Bonnie in Mother 3.

Since we already have a PSI user repped in Brawl, I am of the opinion that a Non-PSI user should get in. Preferably one from Mother 3. With a moustache...

Oh who'm I kidding!? I support this guy:

His name is Duster. He is a burgular who uses the tools of the trade to battle foes. His arsenel includes things like portable Ladder Rungs (AKA Wall staples), A tickle-stick, a scary mask, a screaming beetle, and various other gadgets. He is by far the coolest cat to grace Earthbound 2. He fights mainly by kicking, but has a limp.

Really, if you're not familiar with Earthbound games, you should really pick up a ROM of the SNES one, it's quite good. Mother 1 takes a little more effort to get into, sadly, it being for NES and all, and Mother 3 isn't translated yet.

But yeah. Thats my opinion.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
he sounds like a hilarious and interesting character. But how important is he in Earthbound 2? Also I recently am starting on earthbound for snes, starting to lose interest. But I will stick to it.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
he sounds like a hilarious and interesting character. But how important is he in Earthbound 2? Also I recently am starting on earthbound for snes, starting to lose interest. But I will stick to it.
He is one of the four characters you take into the final boss fight, for one. and several chapters of the game revolve around him for another.

If Ness is Representative of the Main character of EB fame (All three of them, if they decide to include multiple costumes) then Duster could represent Mother 3 while also being a stellar supporting character.

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman

Good day.
that retort being said in true Colbert fashion....

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
He is one of the four characters you take into the final boss fight, for one. and several chapters of the game revolve around him for another.

If Ness is Representative of the Main character of EB fame (All three of them, if they decide to include multiple costumes) then Duster could represent Mother 3 while also being a stellar supporting character.
I wil definately consider him then.

NeMo =)~

Smash Apprentice
But you're looking at the forest for the trees.

He's not serious when he says, "Well, it's just like him..but...not." It's just a general idea that states what we're all thinking - Young Link really isn't as unique as the other clones (Gannon, Roy, Dr. Mario, etc), and there's little reason to keep him unless they made major changes. Quit being so literal.

Stop acting like he's completely excluding logic just because he's not making it glaringly obvious. He's just saying what many people are thinking.
How is he not serious? He typed it in without any chuckle or happy-go-lucky smiley, he stated it as his HONEST opinion, therefor meaning he was serious about it.

Hmmm, Dr. Mario is NOT unique, Young Link's gameplay can be much different from Link's gameplay, I for one enjoy playing quick characters, the fact that Link is a tank doesn't make him fun for me. Hmm, we're being too literal because we don't say stupid **** like "But you're looking at the forest for the trees."?

Doesn't matter what "many people are thinking" in this case, because many people are thinking incorrectly.

EDIT: O yea, and I like Link and see no problem with him I just used him for the example, yet I much prefer Young Link.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Why the Hell is everybody getting so God **** Pissed at this guy's list??

He is not Sakurai, and your arguments do nothing to determine who is in the game. This list is HIS personal choices, and you people don't get that.

All I see is
"Samus and Zamus will NOT be sperate, why the hell would you think that?"
"Oh, Sheik shouldn't have her own spot!"
"Why don't you have King K. Rool on your list? Give me Real reasons!"
"Young Link would be different from link, you are such a hipocrit!"
"You fail",
and "That render of DK is ugly!"

Calm down people! Geez.

And don't try to turn that last sentence back on me to make yourselves feel better. I am proving a point. You can read the post and comprehend it instead of tearing apart one sentence because "0mG h3 w@sn'T k@lM, 3@0d3 1z t3h HipP0cr1t!!!111!!!1Sh1ft"

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
They can get mad at me as long as they put up a good arguement (dotdotdot and supercool). I do agree that some people are getting a little too worked up (Nemo and xianfeng).

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
How is he not serious? He typed it in without any chuckle or happy-go-lucky smiley, he stated it as his HONEST opinion, therefor meaning he was serious about it.

Hmmm, Dr. Mario is NOT unique, Young Link's gameplay can be much different from Link's gameplay, I for one enjoy playing quick characters, the fact that Link is a tank doesn't make him fun for me. Hmm, we're being too literal because we don't say stupid **** like "But you're looking at the forest for the trees."?

Doesn't matter what "many people are thinking" in this case, because many people are thinking incorrectly.
ZL, can you please back me up here?

I'm almost positive that when you made the list and gave your reasons they were simply implied, but I can't convince anyone of **** until you say it.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
yes you are right MiraiGen, I do not need a "chuckle" or "happy-go-lucky smiley" to make it seem otherwise. Like I said earlier if I could I would keep all the returning characters. Since that some characters HAVE to be removed he was on of the people that I thought had to be cut. I really should update the description so people have a better understanding why I think he should get cut.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My review: Fell free to argue points

I made a description for every character, because there are people who want the sure foots out of the game. Such as Bowser, Captain Falcon, etc.

Sonic – Sonic is more then deserving of the few precious 3rd party slots. He has was created for the sole purpose of rivaling Mario. Both of them in a game would be a great thing indeed. He has shown many signs of a potential moveset in his previous games, especially in sonic battle and also in his bboying skills which he demonstrates in many games.

Good introduction to your choice. Sonic and Mario are rivals, and the coolest part is that they are not only in separate games, but for a long while they were exclusive to different consoles. Everyone wanted Mario to fight Sonic. I feel it odd, that finally there is a viable oppurtunity for the two to engage in battle and people are opposed to the idea! People have been wanting this duel for the longest time, it is only fair that they get the oppurtunity to throw down. I wonder if Sonic will be faster then the Captain if he does manage to get in (which I think he definately will). I say he should be the fastest character in the game. That is what he is known for.

Mario- Confirmed

Luigi – Luigi was in the first super smash brothers and there is no reason why he should not be in brawl. He is a huge character in the Mario series and I think we can all agree he will appear in brawl.

Mario and Luigi both need to be in. But since this is the third series in the game I think their movesets should be almost different in every aspect. I think Luigi should lose the green missle (it is fitting, but he has actual moves that can be used instead of making random ones up) and gain the vaccumm cleaner. Although the vaccumm can be used to give a similar effect as the missile.

Peach – Peach is also a huge character in the Mario series and it would be foolish not to include her.

I think her specials need to be revamped to fit her latest game. Nearly all her specials were made up (which is not terrible, but now she has actual moves).

Toad – A lot of people do not like Toad, I on the other hand love Toad. He is probably my favorite Character in the Mario series (Luigi is up there with him though) and in any game where he is playable, I play as him. I understand the criticisms on how he is “too small” or “would have a lame moveset”. He can be resized and the developers can create a unique moveset, they are not bound to anything. On the Toad discussion thread someone made a very good list of points and counter points and I will post it on here once I find it.

Toad would be an awesome character, although I would give him only a 25 percent chance to get in. He is a Mario character which already has alot of representation. And I think Geno has a chance to get in over Toad (although Geno is not a true Mario addition in my eyes). But Toad is a vital part to the series, if nothing else but for humor. Plus he rounds out the MarioKart 64 crew. I think he should have powered rocket shoes in order to pull of MarioKart-esque moves, but that is just an idea.

Bowser – It amazes me that some people want Bowser out of the game. He is the signature villian of the Mario series, he will stay. He is one of my favorite characters to play in melee and there are many ways to help him stand his ground against the more prominent fighters (more on that later).

People that want him out of the game are purely tournament players. Bowser is too laggy in a game built on speed. Hopefully, Brawl will give a stun resistance factor towards heavyweights and take incrediably fast, simply executed power moves away from the fast characters. Plus giving Bowser a projectile fire based move may help his game more then his breath.

Yoshi – He was in the first super smash brothers which is reason enough to be in Brawl. He is another signature character that is as recognizable as Mario himself, and to leave him out would be a horrible decision.

I don't think the main 12 fighters will be touched except for Ness. He may be replaced by Lucas. Yoshi doesn't follow the normal guidelines. He has an insane 2nd jump, lacks a 3rd jump, and has a shield that works differently. If any other techiniques ar eintroduced in the next game, I think Yoshi should have a weird take on the move just to make him even more zany.

Zelda – I was convinced by some very good arguements to keep Sheik and Zelda together. Zelda has a lot more potential in Brawl with the upcoming Twilight Princess game. Another character that you can not come up with a possible reason to get rid of.

A morphing character needs to stay. It is such a fun trick. But it was executed wrong in Brawl. Zelda was suppose to be the brawler, and shiek was merely suppose to be used for racking up damage. Sheik has too many KO possibilites and edgeguarding tricks. That is Zelda's arena. The character should be designed so that a very good player will have to morph in order to contend with other good players. Also the morphs should be an extra attack and should be kinda fast.

Link - Confirmed

Ganondorf - Ganondorf is the villain of the Legend of Zelda series. Out of all the clones in melee he is the most deserving to move on to brawl. He is a great design and his moveset should be completely revamped (more on that later).

I like both Gannondorf from the Oranica game as well as Windwaker Gannondorf. I would prefer a graphically enhanced Windwaker Gannondorf, but would be happy with either. Either way both should use swords (not necessarily in all attacks) and magic while still containing the in your face attitude of Melee Gannondorf.

Mr. Game and Watch - Ah Mr. Game and Watch, this character by no means should be removed from brawl. He is an absolutely hilarious character and just a historical landmark for Nintendo. He stays.

Well said. People actually want this character to go! Its crazy. His beeping is too great. If he comes back I hope they make his throws a little crazier and add more 2D effects. For his airdodge maybe he could very quickly fold into a "paper airplane" like Paper Mario and swoop out of harm's way.

Wario - Confirmed

Ice Climbers - Despite the rumor about Ice Climbers being removed, they absolutely should NOT be removed. They are THE most unique characters in the game. No arguments there, they are a great move on Nintendo's part.

Yes. Ice Climbers need to stay. I wonder what new character ideas Sakurai will think up for Brawl (besides the 3rd part addition which is already great). I hope they compete with Dual partners and morphing.

Dedede – Dedede is a very interesting character, penguins wielding hammers are always appealing. He is the main villain in the Kirby series and smash could use some more villains.

I want all of the main villains in. My only concern is that King Dedede will be Kirby and the Ice Climbers (hammer moves) smashed into one. Since he has so much flavor and personality that wouldn't be that bad anyways, but he deserves some outlandish moves of his own. Unfortunately, there are only so many things you can do with a hammer. I say yes to the character, I am just worried how he will be designed.

Marth - The first lord of the Fire Emblem series. He is an incredibly popular character and getting rid of him would be a foolish Idea.

I am sadly a fool. I understand that people like graceful sword fighting characters. To me I just get bored of seeing slashes in different directions. I have to admit Marth has two very creative specials. The toward B and down B are flavorful and intricate. I would like there only to be one FE character. Some people want four. If there is more then one, I say they must have different weapons. But even that could get boring. So I am up in the air about Marth. If he does come back, he needs to be re-examed. His throw should not be as long and he should not be as quick as he is if he is going to keep his power and range.

Hector - Another Fire Emblem lord but, one key feature makes him stand out from the rest, his axe. There have been many complaints about too many sword wielding characters, well why not have a character with an axe? The axe is a very underused weapon in fighting games which is a real shame, its a great weapon.

Hector is the only FE character that would not make me too upset. But if the axe weilder got in I would say his older form should be used, when he has a beard. There are already so many pretty boys in Smash and not enough rugged characters. I guess Wario is a start, somewhat.

DK - Another character from the first super smash brothers game. He goes way back to when Mario first debuted. A classic Nintendo character.

I say DK should have the best smash in the game. Do you see what he is doing when you perform a toward A ariel? He is claping both his GIANT fists and spinning around, leaning his weight and thrusting his triceps forward to crush his hammerfist onto an oppenent's skull! Why does Marth's fairy cut downwards and Falc's ballerina spin hit oppenents down further? It is sad. Plus where is DK's sommersault?

Diddy – Easily the biggest character in the donkey kong universe (second to only DK himself). He has many opportunities to have a great moveset and is a long overdue character.

I don't know what to say, I agree.

Ridley – The trademark villain of the metroid series, a excellent character with a good design. Like Bowser was, Ridley could be resized to fit better on the stage.

If Dark Samus gets in I will be mad. If Dark Samus got in and Ridley didn't, I would be furious. He is a great villain. He has brawns and brains and he could be a frightening force to go up against. Of course his model design seems broken. He could fly, is strong, as projectiles, and physical range as well as weight. But then again Mewtwo could dstroy buildings with a thought and look at him. I hope if Ridley enters he won't be broken or lame. But I am rooting for him.

Zero Suit Samus – Confirmed, I believe that she will be a separate character from Samus. I do not want to get in the huge arguement over what was posted on the offical smash brothers website, it was vague to say the least. If you look at it when it says "This isn't a pure character addition" and "under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit" that is in the FIRST paragraph. With all the other characters the first paragraph is dedicated to the game they originated from. She is not a pure character addition because it is still Samus. Also the "under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit" that is more than likely than not talking about the Metriod Series. Besides no use removing a potential move from each character just for a few frames of transformation. Can you think of any B move of Samus you would sacrifice to transform to Zero Suit Samus? Yea, I didn't think so.

I agree 100 percent with your interpretation of that ambiguous and translated line. She should be a separate character. There is already a female morpher. And I think one morph is probably enough. Besides Samus is great. She doesn't really need to switch her style mid-game, she already has power, traps, and range.

Samus - Confirmed

Metaknight - Confirmed

Kirby - Confirmed

Falco - This is another character that puzzles me why people would want to get rid of such a great character. He is the second most important character of the star fox universe, second to Fox only. Another clone that is way more than deserving to have a unique moveset in Brawl. Removing him would anger many fans. I think his costume should also be different from his generic one from Melee. One of the costumes featured an a ending in Command shows a very awesome one.

I don't think he is the second most important character. I would argue Andross is. He is the reason why Fox had a job, plus he has such an influence on many events that occured in the game. Falco is a rival, sure. But so is Wolf. Only one is needed. Frankly, I would rather have my scientist moneky in with a body, but his odds are not good. I say two Star Fox characters only. One has to be Fox. That leaves Wolf, Krystal, Falco, and Andross (in my eyes) as possible options. I would pick Andross but the others are fine as long as they are not clones. I don't even want them to be "Luigified" versions of Fox.

Fox - Yet another character from the original 12. He should have his Assault COSTUME, but keep the melee proportions. A lot of people hate the assault costume, and I believe because its of the weird proportions they give Fox in the game. The costume itself is good.

I think you are right about the proportions, but the look is good. Fox needs to focus on a few strengths rather then having an advantage in every area. And his shine needs to bounce people up and at an angle rather then down and at an angle.

Megaman X – The signature blue bomber hailing from Capcom. I chose X besides the original Megaman for several reasons. In Megaman x4-6, X used Zero's saber, this opens a lot of moveset opportunities. Especially for the A moves. Also X has never been in a cross over, the original Megaman has been in several. Granted, I would be happy if the original made it.

I like the X design better, but I do not want him to have Zero's saber. This game already seems like it is going to be loaded with sword characters. Plus there is already a beam sword Megaman would be able to pick up if you put items on (assuming it is not taken out). But I think Classic Megaman would be the better historical choice, given that his games helped Nintendo get to its dominating gaming position. Either form would make me happy as long as he doesn't look to anime. I hate that look.

Captain Falcon – A prime example of a character entering Smash as nothing and turning into something. Now I don't mean game wise, I am talking about fighting wise. You never saw him show any signs of pyrokinesis in his games. This is a good reference to people who argue that “Y cants use X because in Y's game Y never uses that.”

Awesome guy. Hope you screams out more words in the next game. And I hope the characters get their intro scenes back.

Deathborn – I know I really should put Samurai Gorah here since his fan base is much larger, but I just cant stand Gorah. An overweight samurai does not appeal to me. I do not like Black Shadow because he is a less cooler batman that had his way with a little too many steriods. Now to Deathborn himself I absolutely love his design. Cheesy, sure, but a great one nonetheless. His moveset could be an awesome one. His play style could be similar to Ganon's since I assume he is getting revamped and a lot of people like Ganon's old moveset. Now I am not saying just slap on Ganon's Melee moveset onto Deathborn, some moves would be easy to transfer though, such as Ganon's Dair and Fair. His B move should be unique. I hope I made what I mean clear enough on this one.

I don't want any more clones. With that said, I think Mach Rider should be used as Captain Falcon's rival. But they look alike and are both drivers! Wouldn't they be clones? No. Not in my mind anyways. Rivals from separate games are cool. Like Mario and Sonic. Mach Rider and the Captain seem like they would have a natural rivalry just by personality alone nevermind their similar profession. Mach Rider is the cool loner. Captain is the loud mouthed, arrogant guy that never stops describing how cool he is. What a good fight. Plus I see Mach Rider as a more land oriented fighter with quicker moves, but not the insane foot speed of Captain.

But if there is no Mach Rider, I would be happy with any interesting character from the FX universe. Just no stale characters (I think Jody Summer would fit in this category) and no cloned characters. (The old Ganon moveset will still be in Melee).

Snake - Confirmed

Jigglypuff – The classic character that everyone thought (or at least I did) was the worst character in Melee (I am talking about during casual play). To lose to jigglypuff was to be humiliated. Why take that away? Another character from the original 12.

One of my favorites. Definately should stay.

Pikachu - Confirmed

Lucario – Probably one, if not the coolest of the new generation of Pokemon. Eventhough I dislike his character design, the spikes are my main problem with it, but after watching some clips of him he is a very interesting character. Also his fan base and the movesets that spawned with them also proves this point. I could easily imagine Lucario being an excellent addition to Brawl.

I agree, plus he represents two non-represented types.

Mewtwo – Another character I am baffled to hear that some people want him kick out. Sure he was not spectacular in melee, but with a new game comes new opportunities. He could easily be an awesome character to use, and there are a lot of things that could fix him up.

So many people wanted him in after the first game, and now they want him gone. Remember the designers were rushed. Psychic powers offer the potential for the wackiest, craziest B moveset of all time. But Mewtwo's B moveset is nothing special to look at and certainly doesn't offer much utility besides his shadowball (a somewhat copied move). His toward B and down B and Forward Smash need to be cooler and better. His stats have to be improved. I still say he show be an evasaive character with supreme dodging skills and good throws.

Wolf - The whole Wolf vs Krystal argument is dragged on to
o much unneeded. They are both excellent choices for new characters, and they should both make it onto Brawl. Wolf has been my all time favorite character from the star fox series ever since I played Star Fox 64. I consider him a sure foot in along with Krystal. Chances are he is going to be my new main. To everyone who says he would be a lame clone of Fox, stop being narrow minded. There are tons of lists around the boards that prove you otherwise.

I do not want wolf in if
A: Falco is also in the game
B: He is a clone or "luigified" version of Fox
C: He has an assualt based weapon focused moveset
Otherwise he could have potential. But I would still rather have Andross.

Krystal – Krystal, like many people before me have pointed out time and time again, already has a moveset that basically writes itself. The chance to wield her staff makes for a unique and very opportune character.

Eh. Not thrilled with the choice, but not disappointed either. Still I say Fox really should only have one other character to join him. Maybe two extras. Maybe.

Ness - Again, another part of the original 12, there is no reason why Ness should be booted.

The only reason for Ness being booted is if Lucas takes his place. They both should not be in because they look the same. (Sure you can argue that Jiggly and Kirby or the princesses look the same, but they are not from the same game). But I like Ness's design. Either case I don't care if Ness or Lucas represents the series.

Geno – Before you people freak out how I went over the three 3rd party characters limit, the 2-3 3rd party characters was a rough estimate and I see it as its possible to go a little over. I honestly think that there's a good chance for Geno and X to be in the game. I do not see any reason why Square would hold off on this character, thus probably one of the easiest 3rd party characters to get a license to use. Him being high on Sakurai's poll also helps his chances.
Initially I was opposed to Geno, but through reanalysis I have gotten around to liking him. I am not a fan of his character design (mainly the ugly orange curls), but his personality and his methods of attacks outweigh it big time. Even just for homage to one of the greatest rpgs ever made is enough to grant him a spot on the precious 3rd party slots.

Geno might be one of the most unusual and deserved selections of the 3rd part characters. Simon Belmont fights with a bullwhip (Zamus looks like she will fight with a whip). Megaman fights by charging his blaster and stealing powers from his enemies (this sounds like a weird love child between Kirby and Samus). Sonic, I think, is already a shoe in. This leaves Geno as a more unique choice in my eyes. Although I would be happy if Megaman or Simon got in. The only character that may be more unique is a Battletoad (which I would cry with glee if I saw one of them on the selection screen)

Skull Kid – I have to admit I have never played Majora's Mask. But his character design is an awesome one and from what I hear his potential is pretty big. The tentacles is a especially great idea and I would love to try this guy out in Brawl. His fan base is surprisingly large so it is not a long shot to say he will make it.

I say Skull Kid or Midna should make it in. Not only would there be another villain, but we would get a freaky, twisted looking villain. Bowser is the bully, Mewtwo is the brooding reject, Gannondorf is the power hungry face smasher, and Midna or Skull Kid could be the creapy bug eyed gremlin type who licks their lips after they defeat the hero. (Not sure if Midna turns out to be a villain, but she looks freaky nonetheless)

Question Mark? - Since I combined Sheik and Zelda again I have an empty spot. I would like to use it for an earthbound character but I do not know which one as I am not too familiar with the series. If you have any suggestions but please give an explanition WHY.

Pit - Confirmed

Your list is fairly good and I think it represents popular choices on these forums. It includes many villains which I think needs more rep. There are none in Smash and three in Melee. But the only new franchises you included were ones from 3rd parties. No other Nintendo games are represented besides the ones with characters already. I know with 40 as a set number it is extremely hard to cram in all the good characters. But this lets people appreciate how hard it is for the designers and why they do have to cut out characters from prequels. Since there is limited space I am against clones (Your proposed Deathborne moveset). That is why I think four Starfox characters are unnecessary. Especially when Falco and Wolf are fundamentally the same. Pilots and rivals of fox. I say King Dedede and Krystal as well as either Wolf or Falco would have to be cut. As well as another FX racer. I would add in maybe two retro characters and perhaps an Animal Crossing rep. But otherwise if these were the characters in Brawl I would not overly be disappointed. You have many good choices and you made good suggestions on what characters to keep and changes needed to be made. You have good ideas for the mechanic of the new game.

Eyelidman

Smash Rookie
This is a great list, although, there are some small things I disagree with.

1. Take out either Wolf or Krystal (preferably Wolf, as Krystal has a staff which makes her a bit more different). All the star fox characters are pretty similar and 4 luigified clones (although they may be heavly luigified) is to much.

2. Samus and Zamus occupy the same character slot. I agree with you that having a transformation move wouldn't work well though. I think that instead, Samus should transform to Zamus after she has a certain percentage of damage (100%-200%). Zamus should also not be quite as good as regular characters overall. This would make it so that if you wanted to play as Samus, you would either have to get good with Zamus or be defensive with Samus. Zamus should not be weaker than Popo without Nana (shouldn't be even close to that)

3. Deathborn should be replaced with a more important F-Zero character.

This leaves three extra characters to be placed into the roster. My suggestions are:

1. Balloon Fighter
This is another old-school character (Sakurai seems to like these) whose moveset would make him unique. The thing that is unique about Balloon Fighter is that he has a whole extra variable that effects his fighting; the number of balloons he has. When he has one or more (max two) balloons, he jumps like kirby/jigglypuff. The amount of balloons he has effects the height of each flap. Every 20%-40% he takes, one of his balloons will pop. Here is a b moveset

vb
Pumps up an extra balloon.

^b
Releases a balloon which goes upwards doing heavy damage to anything it hits, while causing the Balloon Fighter to fly towards the ground, doing heavier damage and causing a small shockwave, which does about the same damage as the balloon ( I know this sounds cheap, but it costs him one of his precious balloons). When Balloon Fighter has no balloons, his ^b causes him to flap him arms wildly, causing him to go upwards by a small distance, and doing small damage to anything nearby.

>b
Balloon Fighter takes out a flipper, and spins it on his finger like a baton, having the same effect as a flipper in SSBM

b
Shoots an electric ball to his side which countinues in a straight line and does small damage while stunning the opponent shortly.

2. Mii
The Miis are the mascot of the Wii, and should be included based on their actions in Wii Sports, Wii Motor Sports, Wii Music, Wii Play, and any other Nintendo games with the Wii prefix. They would also be customizable in their appearence, and customizeable in their size and weight. When you think about it, both those statistics have good and bad qualities so it should balance out. Also, this doesn't alow enough customization so that everybody choses a Mii because they have designed the character themselves. The Mii would also make a great suprise for a last character just like Mr. G&W

3. Duster
Somebody above me explained why he is the best choice for a Earthbound character other than Ness, and Earthbound does need more reputation.

Edit:
Sorry, I forgot about Cpt. Olimar and would actually rather have him than Duster.
Cpt. Olimar would be unique in the sense that almost all his attacks would be based on getting pikmin to fight for him. He would be able to throw pikmin, use pikmin as melee weapons, he could lay pikmin down, which would move towards the enemy and attack it while doing minimul damage, and which would fly off the stage with one or two hits, and a vareity of other moves. I just see such a move opportunity from this guy.

Top Bottom