• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aether

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
to keep it simple, i have a big problem with what should be one of TL 's easier matchups -- ike

Specifically, I need to know everything about aether and strategies against it . I ask because it cannot be cancelled or knocked and the damage frames go on way too long to edgeguard it, and as you know, hogging is half tl's game .

SO:
a: how do i edgeguard it?
b: what can i do about it on land?
c: just how many frames does it last?

[p.s. sorry for the formatting, i'm on my wii browser.]

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Answer..

You don't edgegaurd it. You either throw them out far enough to force a quick-draw (Over-B), and jump in front of it (sending Ike to his death), or you let them get back on the stage.

also, you could intercept them in off stage aerial combat.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
While I can't provide technical info, I can provide insight. When I fight Ike's I use a mixup between Bomb Guarding from above (jumping / retreating or platforms if possible) and actual head on fighting him off. Basically if you knock him away from the stage and he's trying to recover I look at it as two primary options.

Run out and try to attack him. If possible knock him back before his Aether can initiate or is close enough to practically use it. Once in that zone, edgehog. You'll get the timing down with some practice (have a friend help, it could work) so that you can hug/pull up and not get hit by it by use of your invincibility frames. While you won't kill him and he will grab the ledge, you should be recovered enough to be ready to strike up close or use a retreating projectile.

Take the free damage and let him live. A boomer, arrow or bomb well placed is nice free damage, and in some cases pushes them back down to cause more of a mixup on them. Ike's are slow so keeping your distance is fairly safe and if you can angle your projectiles from above or a platform as he's trying to recover, you really have nothing to worry about.

As for on land, if you see it coming and can range it, I once again recommend doing that. Its not gonna get you any KOs but it will rack up damage and help reset the counters on your other moves knockback/damage ratios if you just got done with some spam.

Spiking it from above or below with uAir and dAir are both potential ideas, but the timing is a bit strict and can result in a double hit or a miss on your part if you're not careful. If you're feeling lucky or confident or just have a lot of practice this works too. Not sure exactly what the knockback was like on any of those situations, its been awhile.

Perhaps once you see it starting run past/quick dodge and prepare your bAir spam. When Ike's finishing the animation if you can get yourself setup you've got a pretty much guaranteed bAir combo ready to be unleashed. This of course can be mixed up with anything else, but bAir is my usual choice of action.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Answer..

You don't edgegaurd it. You either throw them out far enough to force a quick-draw (Over-B), and jump in front of it (sending Ike to his death), or you let them get back on the stage.

also, you could intercept them in off stage aerial combat.

i usually try to dairy them nb4 aether, but sakurai shouldve made aether tripping :[

Fire52388

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming Aether is up b? I can't remember. Anyway, if that's what you're talking about I actually found out that it leaves them incredibly vulnerable to a dair spike at the peak of the move. If you can predict that they are going to use it, position yourself above for an easy spike.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
While I can't provide technical info, I can provide insight. When I fight Ike's I use a mixup between Bomb Guarding from above (jumping / retreating or platforms if possible) and actual head on fighting him off. Basically if you knock him away from the stage and he's trying to recover I look at it as two primary options.

Run out and try to attack him. If possible knock him back before his Aether can initiate or is close enough to practically use it. Once in that zone, edgehog. You'll get the timing down with some practice (have a friend help, it could work) so that you can hug/pull up and not get hit by it by use of your invincibility frames. While you won't kill him and he will grab the ledge, you should be recovered enough to be ready to strike up close or use a retreating projectile.

Take the free damage and let him live. A boomer, arrow or bomb well placed is nice free damage, and in some cases pushes them back down to cause more of a mixup on them. Ike's are slow so keeping your distance is fairly safe and if you can angle your projectiles from above or a platform as he's trying to recover, you really have nothing to worry about.

As for on land, if you see it coming and can range it, I once again recommend doing that. Its not gonna get you any KOs but it will rack up damage and help reset the counters on your other moves knockback/damage ratios if you just got done with some spam.

Spiking it from above or below with uAir and dAir are both potential ideas, but the timing is a bit strict and can result in a double hit or a miss on your part if you're not careful. If you're feeling lucky or confident or just have a lot of practice this works too. Not sure exactly what the knockback was like on any of those situations, its been awhile.

Perhaps once you see it starting run past/quick dodge and prepare your bAir spam. When Ike's finishing the animation if you can get yourself setup you've got a pretty much guaranteed bAir combo ready to be unleashed. This of course can be mixed up with anything else, but bAir is my usual choice of action.
cant edgeguard, hug vs. attk frames that are twice as long.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Aether (and his eruption) have super armor, so a spike will do nothing other than some extra damage (no flinch/knockback.)

So, let Ike get back on the stage (while spamming projectiles like crazy,) and when he's in KO range, come in close with a good aerial (I prefer nair for this situation,) and if he tries to get back on, intercept him a good ways off the stage. Basically, don't let aether work for him.

Top Bottom