• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aether Spike

Commander

Smash Ace
I was hoping you actually had found a way to reasonably work it into your strategy. The only thing I have ever found it actually useful for reliably is if you hit your opponent while they are standing on the ledge with the spike/falling part, it can link into Ike's below 100% getup attack. Other than that the only use is to try and kamikaze if you know you can't get back they are of stage too. Also just so you know the spinning part right before the fall is a pseudo-spike too.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping you actually had found a way to reasonably work it into your strategy. The only thing I have ever found it actually useful for reliably is if you hit your opponent while they are standing on the ledge with the spike/falling part, it can link into Ike's below 100% getup attack. Other than that the only use is to try and kamikaze if you know you can't get back they are of stage too. Also just so you know the spinning part right before the fall is a pseudo-spike too.
Well you can use it the way I did. But from your post I am guessing you already knew about this method?

Commander

Smash Ace
You can't plan it out. What happened in your video is just random chance combined with a CPU. You can't sit down in a real match and think "Oh, I'm just going to aether spike them" like you can with fthrow>QD>RAR>bair or dthrow>bair or anything that you can actually do in a match.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
You can't plan it out. What happened in your video is just random chance combined with a CPU. You can't sit down in a real match and think "Oh, I'm just going to aether spike them" like you can with fthrow>QD>RAR>bair or dthrow>bair or anything that you can actually do in a match.
Yeah you can`t plan for that to happen but if the situation comes up you can use it to your advantage. I know what you mean though you can`t really count on that happening most of the time.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It comes up more often in doubles. When you happen to find yourself offstage at the same time as an opponent, who has little option but to sweetspot the ledge (think Fox below the level of the stage, or Pit with a burned glide), you can go for a ledge sweetspot yourself. B-Reversing the Aether is a great idea so that half the sword hitbox isn't wasted on the stage. This isn't something you should ever intentionally do, because jumping down to your most vulnerable position as part of an edgeguard is generally a bad idea.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
It comes up more often in doubles. When you happen to find yourself offstage at the same time as an opponent, who has little option but to sweetspot the ledge (think Fox below the level of the stage, or Pit with a burned glide), you can go for a ledge sweetspot yourself. B-Reversing the Aether is a great idea so that half the sword hitbox isn't wasted on the stage. This isn't something you should ever intentionally do, because jumping down to your most vulnerable position as part of an edgeguard is generally a bad idea.
I see. Yeah it could be like putting a sign on yourself saying. "Hey shine spike me!!"

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
Actually Aether spike is a pretty feasible way to edgeguard DK's up B recovery. just get to the edge and ledgedrop-> B reverse it. people did it in Brawl a decent amount and it's harder to SDI out of in P:M so it should only be easier. not the safest option but you can get consistent with it with practice.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Or walk-off Fair.

You know ... a move that makes sense and doesn't put you at risk of being stage spiked or edge-hogged.

Aetherspikes are something that a) can't be planned for and b) SHOULDN'T be planned for.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I get these WAAAY too often.

I catch so much flack for doing this to people.

They're all : They need to nerf that ****. That's ****in' ROBBERY!!

Good times. :3

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I think if I hear one more 'They need to nerf ...' about a character in P:M, I might just punch something.

I've even stopped caring about spacies so much.
Pff, the only thing I want changed about a spacie is Falco's side-b needs to no longer spike.

Seriously, why is that even there? xD

Commander

Smash Ace
The only thing that needs to be changed about the Spacies is giving them frame 1 invincibility back on their shines, because I'm low on sodium.

Top Bottom