• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial movement as Mewtwo

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I've been thinking about Mewtwo's movement qualities in the air, and I have to wonder if players are going to have to master Mewtwo's numerous quirks when it comes to being airborne.

The first thing that needs to be mentioned is Mewtwo's large frame combined with its light weight. This makes it a huge target on the ground and off, but in the air Mewtwo is very vulnerable to vertical KOs. It also has difficulty attacking characters below.

Mewtwo has great movement speed in the air (as good as Sonic's) but has difficulty changing direction mid-flight, and has a slow second jump. This means that you can't use your second jump to escape juggles as more nimble characters would, and if you guess wrong in terms of DI (or don't DI at all), you have a difficult time getting out of things. If you do guess right, however, it's quite difficult to catch Mewtwo drifting towards the ledges, especially with air dodges and teleport.

There's a particularly strange characteristic of Mewtwo's that I've noticed, which is that its fast fall speed is significantly higher than one might expect out of such a floaty character. It goes from being among the floatiest characters in the game to fast falling at a speed equal to Marth and Pit. The only character who's similar that I can recall is Link, who goes from average fall speed to very high fast fall speed. In other words, Mewtwo has a greater difference between falling and fast falling compared to most characters, which I can imagine being used as a defensive mix-up, or perhaps even an offensive one.

What this leads me to believe is that, perhaps more than any other character in the game, DI and proper understanding of movement options in the air is of paramount importance to Mewtwo. It's the difference between life and death. Mewtwo has a ton of options for getting around in the air, but aside from teleport isn't equipped to change its plans suddenly, which necessitates predicting what the opponent is going to try in order to capitalize on Mewtwo when it's above.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I was wondering, does mewtwo feel like luigi? Because I don't like luigi's floatiness and i have trouble doing dthrow>fair>fastfall fair as luigi, maybe i just need to practice fast falling

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I think that will be the key to Mewtwo success. He seems more like an aerial fighter to me. He's got probably one of the best air dodges in the game frame wise and the momentum with double jump has its usefulness in making him do retreating b-air, n-airs and f-airs. He can sort of pseudo wall of pain. On the ground he just seems too predictable.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I was wondering, does mewtwo feel like luigi? Because I don't like luigi's floatiness and i have trouble doing dthrow>fair>fastfall fair as luigi, maybe i just need to practice fast falling
Na, Mewtwo fast falls pretty quickly. If you keep fast falling he won't feel as floaty as most "floaty" chars.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I think that will be the key to Mewtwo success. He seems more like an aerial fighter to me. He's got probably one of the best air dodges in the game frame wise
True that. I've been able to Air Dodge out of most jab combos before they land the finishing blow. Not all jabs, but it's nice to know that it works.

the momentum with double jump has its usefulness in making him do retreating b-air, n-airs and f-airs
He can also DJC with his special moves. Perfectly timed jump into a DJC Disable could be fun.

The way I see it, Mewtwo is like a more hard-hitting Jigglypuff. He has less aerial potential, but he trades that off for kill power and read potential. It's a big reason why we as Mewtwo mains should definitely go for Battlefield/Big Battlefield whenever possible.

Top Bottom