• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Flame Choke to Down Smash

MGK

Smash Apprentice
A while back, I watched Gungnir's Promotion Video and saw that from an Aerial Flame Choke against DK, Gungnir punished DK's roll away with a Down Smash.

Gungnir's Promotion Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTFDIrGX8w ( Happens at 2:38. )

So I did some tests and these are the results on how to punish a roll away from a aerial flame choke.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi:
:4bowserjr::4gaw::4dk::4robinm::4kirby:
:4falco::4charizard::4greninja::4duckhunt::4rob:
:4villager::4olimar::4drmario::4megaman::4sonic:
:4ryu::4corrin:

:4peach::rosalina::4gaw::4zelda::4ganondorf:
:4samus::4palutena::4marth::4robinm::4kirby:
:4littlemac::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4greninja:
:4duckhunt::4rob::4falcon::4wiifit::4lucina:
:4pacman::4megaman::4feroy::4ryu::4miigun:

:4jigglypuff::4olimar::4charizard:

Also, Wizard Kick and Flame Choke works on everyone as well. I did quick tests on half the cast that get dSmashed and all of them got hit by both. Then I did all the others that dodge the dSmash and they got hit as well by both.

Hope this helps. :4ganondorf:

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
So this is only if you read a roll away? Seems handy, it hits behind as well so could it catch a roll behind?
I usually shield right after an aerudo because of getup attack on shield scores me a free grab, and ftilt if they roll behind(although this isn't guarenteed). I'm really happy to have an option for roll away now!

God I watched that whole video and I knew he was aggressive and creative but that man is an ANIMAL!

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is only for a roll away. There are a few set ups where the opponent feels like rolling away is the safest option.

The 2 sets I know are:

- Jump from the ledge get up into instant Aerial Flame Choke.
- Wizard foot ledge cancel into Aerial Flame Choke (As seen in the video)

Since the opponent is right next to the ledge, they have a higher chance of rolling away since they want to get as far away from the ledge as possible and into the center of the stage. Great thing about this though is your right on the ledge so Down Smash will kill them at around 80 + %.

This is amazing against Ryu and Greninja because of the simple fact of you get no guaranteed follow up from a normal flame choke missed tech. Like you said, your opponent will most likely do a get up attack as they have a frame advantage, shield is our only option and we get a shield grab.

As for hitting behind, I'm sure it'll hit everyone but I'm 90% sure they can shield it and punish. So probably best to stick with fTilt.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Pretty cool how Dsmash also hits fat ppl if they decide to lie still in this scenario.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Which ones do Fsmash work on if Dsmash also works? If I read a roll away at center stage it´ll kill earlier right?

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Which ones do Fsmash work on if Dsmash also works? If I read a roll away at center stage it´ll kill earlier right?
I remember DK, Kirby, Charizard and maybe Bowser and Greninja. I'll need to test this but I'm 90% sure these are the characters fSmash hits.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I really think this needs to be added to the guide thread, this is really useful.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Is there anyone that shield > dash attack works on? It seems like that'll protect against getup attack, wait, and roll away. But you'll still get hit by wait > getup attack. Nobody will roll behind because Fsmash(probably, they might try to fake you out though)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Oh wow I compiled this list myself and we already had one -_-

I can confirm dsmash is the goat though, and that it misses olimar on getup

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Could we get jab/ftilt/dtilt on olimar? I know he has the latest I-frames on buffered rolls and getup attack

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys, just a quick update. I tested Bay and Corrin with aerial side B to dSmash if they roll away. We are lucky to find out that Corrin gets hit by it. I didn't test dTilt on either of them so I'll do that some time today. This is really good news since we get nothing off of missed tech grounded side B.

verbatim

Smash Ace
DLC characters don't get hit by dtilt out of Flame Choke. It's like, a law at this point.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Again asking @Vermanubis or @Ray_Kalm to add the follow ups to the guide thread, this is incredibly useful.
edit: MGK MGK did you test out the miis? do they get hit by anything?

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Again asking @Vermanubis or @Ray_Kalm to add the follow ups to the guide thread, this is incredibly useful.
edit: MGK MGK did you test out the miis? do they get hit by anything?
I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure I did everyone, even the Mii's. I'll double check though.

Also, I know this isn't anything but just something to know but if bay rolls away from aerial flame choke, dSmash and dTilt miss.

Edit: Just tested the Mii's and none of them get dSmash.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
With good timing we can probably D-smash those characters even out of a regular choke, does anyone know the exact timing for it?

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Without doing any testing, I know for a fact that if Charizard or Bowser miss tech from side b and chooses to do roll away, roll in or even normal get up, dSmash hit's no matter what. (Just need to test if you need to charge or not) I'm 90% sure you don't have to but I'll run some tests.

I have also been doing other tests out of side B and have learnt a few neat tricks. I was vsing diddy and noticed that if he miss techs side b and chooses to roll in, he actually doesn't roll past ganondorf. So I tested what's the best option coverage for this and learnt uSmash connects. Charizard, Bowser and little mac are others that can't roll past ganondorf but oddly enough, only little mac rolls past ganondorf if you choose to uSmash.

To make things even better, at 0 - 12%, if you side B to uSmash (If diddy chooses to roll in or normal get up and if at the ledge, roll away), uSmash ends quick enough to get a follow up aerial. At 0%, FH Nair is the best option as it does 53% in total. You can also get a DJ Uair / FH Fair.

Lastly, I tested if the opponent chooses to roll behind ganondorf, if turn around uSmash connects and the results are very surprising as it hits most of the cast. (I'll make a new thread later today with my results)

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
MGK MGK I'm curious about WK as a follow-up to rolling away from aerial flame choke. Do you know if the exceptions are the same as those who are safe from WK when techrolling away from grounded flame choke? (link, falco, ike, palutena, wft, zelda, bayonetta)

MGK

Smash Apprentice
I would have to re test everything as I do know that they need a longer roll to get hit. I have seen my wiz kick miss Ryu from a aerial flame choke cos his roll is too short. This is guessing but anyone who doesn't get hit by the dSmash is a pretty safe bet the wiz kick will hit. Also, just on a general note, I have found doing a grounded flame choke to catch everyone but maybe Ike.

Would you like the results mgleed mgleed ?

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
I would have to re test everything as I do know that they need a longer roll to get hit. I have seen my wiz kick miss Ryu from a aerial flame choke cos his roll is too short. This is guessing but anyone who doesn't get hit by the dSmash is a pretty safe bet the wiz kick will hit. Also, just on a general note, I have found doing a grounded flame choke to catch everyone but maybe Ike.

Would you like the results mgleed mgleed ?
I don't want to make you do any extra work, but if you have them, that'd be great, MGK MGK . Thanks!

MGK

Smash Apprentice
I just updated and it looks like everyone gets hit by wizard kick and flame choke. I did everyone that doesn't get hit by dSmash and they got hit by both. Then did half the characters that do get hit by dSmash and same results. My result with ryu was wrong because it's actually grounded flame choke, miss tech to roll away, wizard kick misses that. So my Bad.

I also did the Mii's and the gunner gets hit by dTilt. So that's something.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
F-smash hits :4olimar: on roll away (thanks to evilgoku for that tidbit of information).

also :4charizard: gets screwed so hard by air choke it's not even funny, D-smash covers EVERY option except get up attack (Credit to Blobface Blobface ) & F-smash hits BOTH rolls, no need to even turn the F-smash around, just F-smash forward when he rolls either way and it will hit.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I know perfect pivot in Fsmash gets slightly more range at the cost of like 3 frames, is there anyone that hits on roll away

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I know perfect pivot in Fsmash gets slightly more range at the cost of like 3 frames, is there anyone that hits on roll away
That could actually be really useful. I don't have anywhere near the technical prowess to test it though.
also :4charizard: gets screwed so hard by air choke it's not even funny, D-smash covers EVERY option except get up attack (Credit to Blobface Blobface ) & F-smash hits BOTH rolls, no need to even turn the F-smash around, just F-smash forward when he rolls either way and it will hit.
Also, if he getup attacks, you can shield and do D-smash OoS and still hit him. It's a true 50/50.

Last edited:
Top Bottom