• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial fighter Problem?

Nayol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naayool123
Basically, whenever i fight against characters like yoshi or marth/lucina, they end up just short hopping towards me and then go an really long ranged aerial.

Any advice?

Note: this is my first smash bros game with me in the competitive scene, so i only have about a week's experience
I have been reading over the forums and getting to know the jargon, and i have been winning most of my matches, but it's the short hops that are killing me.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Samus doesn't really have the tools to go air-to-air, or even ground-to-air against the type of characters you described. It's difficult to learn, but try to stay mobile and not commit to anything that gets you punished. So because say, Lucina doesn't have projectiles she must approach you. You have some moves that are longer ranged than hers, and a great one for controlling short hops is jump and grab (z-air). It's her tether move which has really long range, but must be spaced correctly to be the most effective. Learn how to jump backwards and use z-air, to run away and turn around with ftilt, and to put your shield up when you know an attack is coming. I have a video of this matchup:

Notice how the first thing I do is jump up and z-air to stop her (also note I do this by shield canceling CS, then jumping out of shield. This is done by plinking/tapping R~Y almost simultaneously). Then, for the first 30 seconds, I'm either in shield if she gets close and punishing appropriately, running horizontally away to get my spacing back, or using z-air to stop her jumps. It isn't until I choose to rush into my opponent that I get solidly punished/have my momentum removed for the first time, 30 seconds later (I dash attacked into her shield).

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff n00b.

Learned a few things from watching that match. I'll try to apply them to my Samus game in the future. Seems I'm using ZAir correctly after all!

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Samus doesn't really have the tools to go air-to-air, or even ground-to-air against the type of characters you described. It's difficult to learn, but try to stay mobile and not commit to anything that gets you punished. So because say, Lucina doesn't have projectiles she must approach you. You have some moves that are longer ranged than hers, and a great one for controlling short hops is jump and grab (z-air). It's her tether move which has really long range, but must be spaced correctly to be the most effective. Learn how to jump backwards and use z-air, to run away and turn around with ftilt, and to put your shield up when you know an attack is coming. I have a video of this matchup:

Notice how the first thing I do is jump up and z-air to stop her (also note I do this by shield canceling CS, then jumping out of shield. This is done by plinking/tapping R~Y almost simultaneously). Then, for the first 30 seconds, I'm either in shield if she gets close and punishing appropriately, running horizontally away to get my spacing back, or using z-air to stop her jumps. It isn't until I choose to rush into my opponent that I get solidly punished/have my momentum removed for the first time, 30 seconds later (I dash attacked into her shield).

I hope this helps!
How exactly do you do the short hop fair from ledgegrabbing like at 1:12? And how are you doing z-air from the same situation at 3:13? And uair at 1:06....I didnt know any character can do such a thing tbh since this is my first competitive smash game =[

aozf05

Smash Cadet
How exactly do you do the short hop fair from ledgegrabbing like at 1:12? And how are you doing z-air from the same situation at 3:13? And uair at 1:06....I didnt know any character can do such a thing tbh since this is my first competitive smash game =[
When you're hanging from a ledge, press back or down followed quickly by jump and an aerial or zair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom