• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial approaching

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
So I don't play Marth but I was just wondering, I hear a lot of people say it is bad most of the time to approach with aerials as Marth and I am wondering why it is bad for Marth to approach with aerials as opposed to other characters approaching with them. How does Marth get punished when he approaches with an aerial or why is it unsafe exactly?

Last edited:

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Marth doesn't have frame perfect shield pressure like spacies do. He can easily be punished with a shield grab or aerial out of shield when approaching with aerials.
As such nairs in place and spaced fairs are best as they are much safer.

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
What makes characters like Captain Falcon safe when they aerial as an approach then?

The main reason I am asking these questions is because there is Marth I fight who approaches with aerials a lot and I am trying to think of ways to counter it. I suppose I could just shield it and grab, but that doesn't seem like the best option to me.

Last edited:

xpRo

Smash Cadet
When Marth jumps, he loses access to the keys of his movement game--his excellent wavedash and dashdance. He also becomes unable to abuse his ridiculous grab range. This is compounded by the fact that he's pretty floaty--the jump is a commitment of movement for at least half a second. This lets the opponent predict and punish his position, e.g. by dashdancing or wavedash back to get out of his range, by moving forward to get under him, or even just rolling or shielding. Marth is especially vulnerable if he throws out an aerial that whiffs since his hitboxes don't last long and have a hard time covering the area beneath him.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
One of the other big issues is that, while SH double fair is a really useful mixup, the first fair has to be super early, leaving him vulnerable. Another portion of the issue with Marth's approaching with aerials is that it's a massive commitment in terms of both frames and space. A lot of Marth's will kinda run in and fair you hoping that you don't punish, whereas a fair in place lets them drift forwards or backwards just a tiny bit in order to optimize their spacing. While I used fair for this example, it's also about the same reason that all new Marth's are told to NEVER approach with nair.

Top Bottom