• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AEGIS REFLECTOR: Two Surprising Findings

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was in Training when I did something by accident. I did DThrow on the dummy who was at the edge. I accidentally did Reflector as a followup and he tumbles back to the stage. Now here's the interesting part, he goes through the reflector with his descent slowed down significantly, enough to hit with an FSmash. This seems to apply whether the opponent is tumbling or not in the air.

So, with this in mind, I looked to see if I can use this as a potential setup. Here's some things I've tested along with @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero . If the opponent does any of these following the throw:

Go behind you: FSmash them.
In between you and the reflector: USmash or DThrow again.
DI away from you: Chase and DA, Running USmash, or Pivot FSmash. The latter two require more precise timing.
Fall to the ground: Tech chase setup. If you predict they'll stay there, hit them with Auto Reticule.

This is just some of them from memory. In short, putting up Reflector means you can get a mixup.

The other finding was first brought to my attention by @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero . He brought up to me that Palutena's DA is not affected by Shulk's Vision. We tested this with other characters with a counter (except Palutena, we just forgot) and we found that this also applies to Marth, Lucina, and Ike's counters. It does not apply to Peach, Greninja, or Little Mac's counters. We surmised it was because of a delay in their response or something.

We also tested the property of this DA with projectiles. Almost every projectile we clashed with the DA were stuffed, even Samus' fully charged Power Beam. It also stuffed multi hitting projectiles like Duck Hunt's Clay Pigeon and Can (we couldn't test Gunman) and Greninja's Water Shuriken. We ran into one particular exception in the form of Robin. The DA could not stuff Arcthunder or Elfire beyond the first hit.

As it turns out the reason why these exceptions happen is because of how Palutena's DA works. It appears that the active frames of the attack stuff any projectile or attack. The exceptions occur because they continue to hit after DA's active frames (Elfire or Toad) or they first hit after the active frames have passed. This piece of information can help against zoning heavy characters. Keep in mind though that there will be times where tossing out Reflector is the more practical option.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Note that we didn't experiment with every projectile, so there might be more exceptions then we listed. For example we didn't use Ness' PK Fire or Mr. Game & Watch's Oil Panic, however based on what we know they may hit Palutena.

Also, projectiles that are counted as items will be grabbed like any other dash attack.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
This happens to Bowser usmash too, this isn't a Palutena specific thing, it's a "oh this moves hitbox is out long enough to clash with the counter hitbox" thing.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Her bair has similar properties too, as well as her other staff attacks (though to a much lesser extent).
I think it's really cool that Palutena has so many unique tools. She may not be a super good character but she is a fun one for sure.

It also makes sense because she attacks with her shield with her DA and bair.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's not full body invulnerable, it just negates the first hitbox(es) that come into contact with her shield hitboxes.

Last edited:

Kutios

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kutios
3DS FC
3540-1275-4035
Actually, (Referring to her DA stuffing hits) Yesterday I was playing at my local tourney, and I did a delayed DA to Lil mac's counter. And it completely took the hit.

So I think it depends how you do the attack on an angle maybe?

Either way, this is pretty cool.

I need to try out the reflect thing though, I don't quite visualize what should be happening.

Edit: Okay. I just tried it several times and got it. It looks pretty funny cool. lol.
I was even able to do a footstool, but it's a bit tricky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom