• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on tilts

xXTOPWOLFXx

Smash Apprentice
I realize tilts are a big part of playing good but I have a hard time pulling them off most of the time I end up smashing...can someone give me some advice on performing tilts quickly?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You have two options:

1- Hold the direction towards which you want to tilt while your character is performing another action. Once that action is done, keep holding that direction and hit A. Voilà, tilt.

2- Tilt your joystick halfway in the direction you want to tilt and hit A.

Basically either limit your options for using tilts or practice actually doing tilts. There's no shortcut.

Last edited:

TheCometCE

Smash Rookie
i have issues with it a bit myself, but i feel more like the zone that counts as a tilt is rediculously small on this controller, which might be a possibility.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
it depends on your controller, tilt halfway to full and keep practicing until you get it consistently. You can turn tap jump off for easy up tilts but if you go back to melee ever then learn how to do it with tap jump on.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I also can give comparison values to Brawl, not sure how it was in Melee:
The up tilt window (if tap jump is on) went from 25-66.25% to 25-71.5% from Brawl to PM.
The forward tilt window went from 25%-80% of stick press to 25-73% from Brawl to PM.
The down tilt window went from 25-66% of stick press to 25-62.5% from Brawl to PM.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Step 1: Stop slamming your joystick

Step 2: Buffer into it with other moves. With a lot of characters I tend to jab1 > ftilt. While the jab is happening you slowly start tilting the stick. Eventually you'll be able to tilt on command in any situation.

But foreal it's all about step 1

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Normally, your thumb rests at an angle on the control stick. For tilts, I suggest stiffening your thumb and tilting the control stick half-way in the direction you want to attack.

Kati

Smash Lord
Don't turn off tap jump. Get over the difficulty now rather than later. A tilt is a slight misnomer, as even smashes involve tilting the stick. It's all about tilting >>>slightly<<<. Once you get the fine motor control, you will never need to buffer it.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is tap jump really that useful in the long run?
Having it off limits a lot of options (usmash OoS/up b OoS ect). Those are all possible without tap jump, but it just makes it a lot harder. The only benefit to having tap jump off is so you don't accidently jump trying to use utilt? Doesn't really make sense to limit your options just to perform one move that is very easy to use after you practice it for a bit.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Having it off limits a lot of options (usmash OoS/up b OoS ect). Those are all possible without tap jump, but it just makes it a lot harder. The only benefit to having tap jump off is so you don't accidently jump trying to use utilt? Doesn't really make sense to limit your options just to perform one move that is very easy to use after you practice it for a bit.
iirc JC U-smash is possible with C-stick in Brawl and PM, and can still be charged by holding Z with it.

But regardless, you're still limiting your Up-B option, and U-tilting with Tap Jump off is a terrible habit to get into if you play or ever plan to play Melee.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You are limiting your options with having tap jump on normally, you just need to claw with the right hand if you have tap jump off and you can do everything (no limits).

Tap jump on has problems with:
- Slower up-tilts
- DI up on aerials while not burning your second jump
- DK Cargo Stuff: Jumping without cargo up-throwing
- If you normally jump with tap jump, you probably have non-optimized horizontal aerial mobility control which requires a side direction pressed at the last frame of jumpsquat
- Pivot up-tilts only have a shortcut with tap jump off
- many more details

The biggest advantage of tap jump on is only that you don't have the difficult transition from and to Melee

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You are limiting your options with having tap jump on normally, you just need to claw with the right hand if you have tap jump off and you can do everything (no limits).

- Slower up-tilts
- If you normally jump with tap jump, you probably have non-optimized horizontal aerial mobility control which requires a side direction pressed at the last frame of jumpsquat
- many more details

The biggest advantage of tap jump on is only that you don't have the difficult transition from and to Melee
All of these are non-issues if you just get used to it, and nobody who takes this game seriously uses tap jump to jump. At least, I hope.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
All of these are non-issues if you just get used to it, and nobody who takes this game seriously uses tap jump to jump. At least, I hope.
I've actually heard that Hungry box only jumps with tap jump (no buttons)... I also heard he doesn't use the c-stick to aerial... I don't know if it's true though... anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
He uses grab of aerials (people recognized as he catched an item by accident), not sure about the tap jump thing. afaik Junebug and SmashGod also use tap jump for WDing (EE said it somewhere), not sure if for everything though

McSlur

Smash Journeyman

- Slower up-tilts
- many more details

Doesn't have tap jump off help you not burn a jump when trying to Aerial Glide Toss also?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Doesn't have tap jump off help you not burn a jump when trying to Aerial Glide Toss also?
How.. aerial glide toss is air dodge up c stick throw, I guess if you time it wrong, like really wrong. The point is tap jump off is a short cut for problems that are easily overcame that limits your options in the long run.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Point of tap jump off is enabling pivot uptilt and easier pivots. So for me it depends on which char I play.

Basically tap jump off limits nothing, while tap jump on limits you a little bit. Also I don't understand anyone mentions melee. You shouldn't limit yourself on something just because it's not available in melee.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Hylian plays with tap jump on iirc. I prefer it off.

Or change your controls. There are configurations that give you the flexibility of claw grip without having to actually claw.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
How.. aerial glide toss is air dodge up c stick throw, I guess if you time it wrong, like really wrong. The point is tap jump off is a short cut for problems that are easily overcame that limits your options in the long run.
Don't you have to press up on the control stick so the air dodge goes upward...? C up to throw the bomb up, R or L to dodge, and then the control stick up to indicate air dodge direction?
Or have I been doing it very ineffectively this whole time..

Y-L

Smash Champion
Don't you have to press up on the control stick so the air dodge goes upward...? C up to throw the bomb up, R or L to dodge, and then the control stick up to indicate air dodge direction?
Or have I been doing it very ineffectively this whole time..
You do have to hold up as you press L/R to air dodge up but it's pretty hard to burn your double jump doing an air dodge, then you just c stick in the directions you want the projectile to go that's all there is to it.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
If you press up on the control stick before the air dodge animation starts, it burns your second jump. It's avoidable, but the timing is very strict, and I had a lot of instances where I was sure I had the timing right but burned my jump anyway. I like tap jump off and L set to jump, which mitigates all of the OoS options you lose without it. I also had u-taunt set to jump for a little while when I had L as attack, which worked out well too.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
Thanks both of you, that really helps!

I mostly keep it on so I can go from PM to Melee easier, but whenever I would play Toon Link I would turn it off.
But now I don't need to, so I can upsmash oos with Toon Link now, :D

Top Bottom