• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on spacing, timing, and chasing

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
I have a problem with these. I haven't played in a really long time, but I played last night and everything is a bit whack for me now. My biggest weakness is timing the dodge so i don't get hit, and chasing enemies with ness himself. My friend is killing me with yoshi.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I have a problem with these. I haven't played in a really long time, but I played last night and everything is a bit whack for me now. My biggest weakness is timing the dodge so i don't get hit, and chasing enemies with ness himself. My friend is killing me with yoshi.
There's a Q&A thread for this type of thing....

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Maybe he wants us to go more in depth, idk. I could see the fact that not all ness mains may check the Q&A thread.

one thing I know that may help is playing with a char like marth, where all they do is space...idk. I don't know really how to train spacing, I just do it..

PsychoNess

Smash Cadet
When Yoshi SHs sheild when he gets close enough. Yoshi is aireal wise like Ness. Fair should space you out good enough. You can Nair out of sheilds and Pk fire after thats over.

Uffe

Smash Hero
For spacing you just retreat your attacks. It's the same idea. Fair, nair and bair are all good for spacing. Check out NintenJoe's most recent videos here. In those videos it shows spacing nicely. That's how you should space. If your opponent likes to run off, try to use PK Thunder. Spacing is good, but it becomes almost useless against characters with projectile.

As for timing, you should follow one attack after another. In other words, try to chain attacks together, which would be comboing. So if you were in this situation where you used nair, you could follow it up with fair and then uair. You can also use fair > fair > dair. That one is a bit difficult to spike with, but it can work.

Ness doesn't really need to chase his opponents. If your opponent has no projectile, you don't need to follow them. You can attack at a distance with something such as PK Thunder. For someone like Yoshi, if he's just throwing his eggs at you, you should get close and do your best to avoid his eggs. Because if they're only being reliant on that, then getting close to them isn't going to do them any good.

If they block, grab them. If they spot dodge, find an attack that delays which will hit them when their spot dodge frames are gone. If they roll, just d-smash or dair them. Follow their patterns. Basically you're chasing them if they like to roll around. Anyway, you can use other stages to counterpick against Yoshi. So if he become reliant with his eggs, you can choose a stage with barriers.

Anyway, hopefully more people come in to help you out.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
also, when you do aerials, depending on who you are fighting, try to do SH double aerials(double nairs are good). If you are used to his aerial's timing and how he jumps, you can do rising aerials to fast fall aerials. once you get really used to his stuff, you can do things like rising aerial to fast fall aerial to another rising aerial xD.
one comboish thing that works:
full jump bair, sweet spot on the enemy(going at him), if he shields just keep going at him and fast fall fair behind him.

Top Bottom