• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice On Motivating My Friends?

Jawz

Smash Cadet
I want to get some of my friends to play melee , but all they say is how gay it is and that its stupid. they play call of duty and stuff like that. any like comebacks or stuff i can say to counter act what they are saying? lol Kinda dumb i know. but anything will help. thanks

rpotts

Smash Lord
Sorry but if you're friends already don't like the game I don't think there's any comeback you can spout which will make them start practicing and become a training partner for you. Try finding other players in the regional section, start playing online, travel to tournaments, etc.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
melee is the kind of game that you already have to love before trying to get good at imo. so if they don't like it, it probably won't happen

Last edited:
You've got to create that WANT in them and let them keep their freewill. People don't get that desire if you just give them things. Go to tournaments/fests on your own. You can find great people to play with there

What if they like FPSs more than they like fighting games? Also, they should be playing Titanfall instead of COD

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Ive seen that problem a lot too (I'm in high school) and theres not a lot you can do. The only thing you can really do is try to sell the game to them (not physically just talk about everything awesome about it) maybe take them to a tourney, and then they will either catch on or just fade away. I feel like its important to really show them the scope of the game (everyone is going to say its gay, its nintendo characters) but when people mature up and actually look at the game and its community with a wider perspective (instead of just saying its gay, like every teenager does to things unfamiliar to them) then they might find something they really like about it.

For example, I started playing competitive about a year ago, the competition, memories, awesome community, and depth of melee really drew me in. Its different for everyone

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Challenge them to a 1v1 quick scope battle and when you win threaten to call them gay if they don't join smash.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol they're brogamer scum, there's no hope for them. Generalizing or not it's the truth. Those kind of people will always hate anything to do with Nintendo due to pop culture's projections about what's cool and acceptable vs whats kiddy and childish. Nothing you can do.

Lol they're brogamer scum, there's no hope for them. Generalizing or not it's the truth. Those kind of people will always hate anything to do with Nintendo due to pop culture's projections about what's cool and acceptable vs whats kiddy and childish. Nothing you can do.
Ironic that their community is polluted with immaturity

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Yeah, chances are if they're ass-to-the-ground CoD fans who say this game or that game is gay , they won't be interested in Smash. Like Mesa said, I think that you have to have already liked Smash to be interested in playing it competitively, and Epsilon is right in both things said.

I looked at the regional zone board for my area and found some really good players who are really cool people , became friends with them, and play with them often, so try that.

As for comebacks, you shouldn't really waste time arguing like that with them if they aren't interested. Just tell them why you like it and let that be it.

I sort of know the feeling of wanting friends to join competitive smash. My friends have always played Smash but haven't as long as I have , and do not care as much about it as I do. One of them just never will fight me because I usually beat him when we practice and lives sort of far from the scene, and the other only plays Brawl. I always ask him to get into competitive Melee or Project M and to come to tournaments with me, but he doesnt feel like buying it or "religiously practicing and spending so much time on it". I showed him some hype videos like these:

And it got him a little more interested, but he's still sort of lazy about practicing and getting the game. Showing them videos and telling them tournament experiences is all I can really suggest, but it still may not work , since they sound like the kind of people who only play the games the media has popularized/everyone else plays.

Last edited:

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
And it got him a little more interested, but he's still sort of lazy about practicing and getting the game. Showing them videos and telling them tournament experiences is all I can really suggest, but it still may not work , since they sound like the kind of people who only play the games the media has popularized/everyone else plays.
And there is a reason (I like playing cod with friends from school) to get into all of the crap games everyone plays, because thats all you can play in a high school environment. There isn't a single person I know in my hometown (Mooresville) who plays smash at a competitive level, much less my school (they all think its gay, they'll even try to justify their statement by claiming the physics is inaccurate lol), so a lot of us are really stuck, with nothing else to turn too but games like cod.

And, so some of the older guys know, the days of hanging out with friends and playing party games (like smash) as a teenager with your friends are longgg over. Its almost like a toxic relationship know to game with people, since you spend years with them agreeing and disagreeing on what to do in some stupid fps all online, and never really develop strong social relationships or ties with others like you do through smash

it all seems so fake now.. It seems like everyone is shooting for a hit of the "fun" factor in these new fps games by joking around with friends and messing around, and fail to see the positive community and influence of other games, like smash :love:

Last edited:

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
All of my friends like Nintendo so I can't say what you should tell them, some of my friends don't play melee and Pm completely and that's my problem cause only 3 of my friends do. And if they play CoD there's a 0.001 percent that they'll actully get into melee. (Yes I made up that percent)

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
If they like CoD, odds are they have no interest in games that are actually good for competitive people. If they did, they would probably play CS: GO or something. But if they are highly competitive, then you just need to show them that Melee is actually the highest skilled game out there. The creativity and disparity in skill levels is what makes Melee great, so that's how you attract people to it.

If they play COD, why not introduce them to competitive gaming 1st? It's a much smaller leap than going to competitive and to a very different genre. Showing them MLG COD might be good for them. Also, you're not asking them to change themselves so heavily. Would you want to change games from Melee to CSGO? This intro to competitive gaming would more of improve what they currently do

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Trash talk them every time you see them die in CoD and make fun of how few inputs they use at every opportunity. Every time they get a kill, sarcastically congratulate them on outplaying a 13-year-old.
Will it make them play Smash? No.
Will it make them quit CoD? Probably not, but it's worth a shot and that should be our real goal here.

Okayitsnotthatbadbutwhateverimbored

Jawz

Smash Cadet
UPDATE: All of my friends were really high and came to my house, i got them to play against eachother and now they are all sober smashaholics!

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Trash talk them. I love that part of melee. I usually don't trash talk unless someone trash talks me first, but if you want to get them motivated, this can do two things.......

1 Make them motivated to play you and be good.

2 Make them mad at you and never play again.

.......The second one has happened to me many times..... Maybe this isn't a good idea.....

Top Bottom