• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on having a secondary.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
In short, I don't know how to balance two characters. The longer explanation is.....

That I have been a solo Robin main since day one on 3DS. I have always dabbled in other characters, but I have never loved any of them quite as much to warrant viewing them as a legitimate secondary/potential new main. Joker changes that. Persona, like Fire Emblem, is one of my favorite game series and I have no doubt in my mind that I want to be a really good Joker player, and am labbing and practicing with him quite hard. I have alot of catching up to do if I want him to be on par with my Robin, so I naturally have been playing him over Robin since 3.0

I am starting to worry though. Both characters are fairly technical to play at a high level and both require practice to stay sharp with, so I have a feeling one will eventually over shadow the other. My ideal is that I can use to two to cover each others bad match ups (which might actually be possible since Joker lacks consistent kill power and range, and Robin struggles with powerful zoners), but who do I pick if they share a neutral match up?

And further more, what if Joker ends up just being a direct upgrade to Robin? As much as I love him, Robin is an average mid tier at the end of the day, and Joker is looking high tier at least. I'm really afraid that Joker might just be the better than Robin in 80% of match ups.

I'm ok with using a character thats good, but I really REALLY do not want to drop Robin because he is such a core part of my identity as a Smash player. People at locals know me as the guy who is pretty good at Robin, and and people get legit excited watching me at times. There have also been people who tell me I am being held back by a bad character, so I have a drive to prove them wrong. Swapping to Joker after all of that would just feel wrong, and I admit that social expectations are affecting me a little.

But at the same time, I am afraid that my loyalty to Robin will make me eventually drop Joker, Especially if I could be getting better results from playing as him. Not to mention that like Robin he is capable of some very flashy plays, so I have a feeling that I could still be a crowd pleaser with him.

Ideally I strike a balance and get the most out of both characters, and it should not be an issue for a while considering that I don't feel anywhere near as comfortable on Joker as I do on Robin yet. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar plight, or if you have worked out a system for using your two mains.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So, Robin might not be as good as Joker. You might want to settle for Batman. Joking aside, you don't have to replace Robin. During SSB4, I mained Samus. She's always been my main. Zero Suit Samus is considered to be better, and while I tried looking for a secondary, such as ZSS, Mario, or Sheik, I never dropped Samus or had her overshadowed by ZSS. You just need to find time to invest in both characters.

From my experience, it seems like Joker has a really easy learning curve, considering I fought two so far with my main and struggled, as well as Sweet T making it to grand finals in less than 12 hours of Joker's addition against Mr. E. Arsene also gives Joker a huge edge and lingers for 30 seconds. Not to mention, he appears rather often. So if you want to main Robin, don't let Joker's inclusion cause you to replace Robin. Just invest enough time for both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom