• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for Newbie Falco Player moving over from ICs

KムエN

Smash Rookie
Yes learn how to move (with wavedashes, wavelands, edge cancels, analog jumps, etc), but also learn all of your attacks and what they do and lead into (on who and at what percents). Practice punishing :foxmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::marthmelee::samusmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::yoshimelee:. Learn to combo these characters safely, and you can combo anyone. (I would've included Falcon but I believe Falco invalidates him, and not for the reasons people might assume.) You also need to know how to play neutral, of course, but I recommend learning how to do it without lasers [while still knowing how to use smart lasers anyway]. Use them when you feel like it, but don't form a bad habit by relying on them. TBH, I regretted forming that habit when one day I randomly decided to move back to my Fox and Marth. I'd been so lazy so for so long that I actually forgot how to really play neutral, haha. Don't let that happen to you.

Anyway, more tips- learn to combo with and without Shine, learn how to act immediately out of L cancel/Wavedash/Waveland/Shield if you don't already, and also how to jump [and act] out of Shine immediately. Learn how to follow up [legitimately] on good lasers. Learn how to send powershielded lasers right back. Learn how to SHFFL just like you would with any other fast faller. Learn how to **** up (as in 0-100 or 0-death) the top four (:foxmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::marthmelee:) on all legal stages but especially on FoD, FD, and YS which almost anyone will agree are your biggest challenges because of the [lack of] size or the layout. Learn how to DI hard as a mf because you need it. Learn how to Mangle (get ridiculous angles on) your up-B, learn how to SDI edge guard attacks on the ledge so you can get walltechs on them and maybe live a little longer, and learn how to be comfortable near the ledge even though it's somewhere Falco never wants to be.

Get 20XX if you can- so you can get some practice in when you're alone and have opponents with random DI (Player 2 CPU in training or vs mode). Last bit of advice I have for now is keep a good attitude and don't believe that you're limited in any way or that you can't do something, because that's the difference between someone who becomes great (or is always getting better) and someone who stays a noob (who eventually just quits).
All this sounds like a lot, but if you keep playing this game to improve, these are the things you'll be learning. So don't really look at this post as a list of instructions, but just a list of what to gradually add to your game, or a note of other things to practice when you get bored of practicing one thing.
Lastly, there's a thread for a Falco Skype/Discord (the 20YY thread I believe). I'm in neither, but I assume they can also help you with anything you ever need if you're interested. GL

Top Bottom