• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for a new Fox main?

Pάρί

Smash Apprentice
:foxmelee:Hey it had some questions I hope someone could answer for me about fox, and then some general questions I has

How do I shield drop? What is the usefulness of it?

How do I short hop double Lazer? (I saw Leffen doing it)

How do I do the thing were you Firefox next to the ledge? (Chillen does this a lot) What is the use of this?

How do I multishine? What is the usefulness of it?

How do I apply shield pressure with fox without getting shield grabbed?

I hope some people could answer my questions, thank you :) :fox:

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about shield dropping as a beginner. There's more important things to learn that are both easier and more useful.

Jump, then laser twice. You have to be very fast so it may take a while to get the timing down.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Multishining is done by shining, jumping out of the shine, and shining again before Fox is in the air (first frame after jumpsquat? not sure. It's most useful and consistent when you doubleshine, which is shining twice. Double shine grabbing covers tons of options and is a fantastic mixup in shield pressure if you can get it down. But once again, there are more important things to learn first.

If you don't want to get shield grabbed, space well and mix it up. Try to never do the same shield pressure twice. Fox has tons of options, like nair shine, dair shine, multishining, and even just grabbing that your opponent will usually have to buffer roll against you to not get caught by something.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Shield drop by tilting the control stick down while shielding on a platform. It allows for faster platform movement and additional options out of shield.

SHDL is done by lasering extremely early in your short hop allowing time for a 2nd laser before you hit the ground. Just need fast fingers - I slide my thumb y to b.

Firestalling is relatively straightforward. Just up-b when you're close to the ledge and facing it. Many people do it out of shine-turnaround. It's a good way to grab the ledge relatively quickly or refresh your ledge invincibility.

Multishine is canceling your shine with a jump then canceling your jump with a shine. Gotta be fast and rhythmic to pull it off. I slide my thumb from y to b and back as fast as possible. It's useful because it's the best hitbox in the game...twice (or more).

There is A LOT of literature on this website about shield pressure for you to read ;) My advice is to not think about frame advantage and things like that until you have a basic understanding of what works and what doesn't.

Sorry for half-assed answers, but I didn't wanna swamp you because you're obviously new! Have fun bro

Top Bottom